Player of the half season?

jcidaho

Davies closely followed by Jags. We have a top 4 Championship defensive record with a pair of OAPs at the back, so as well as midfielders like Bird may be doing the defensive stats show an astonishingly high level of performance from that pair that can't be ignored IMO. I can only think of that mad second goal at Barnsley where they went to sleep where Jags and Davies have really made an out-and-out blunder, quite remarkable the level of consistency. I have total confidence in them every game.

Bird's time will come for the accolades, he is a young man.

Edited by SillyBilly

It so hard to pick one right now! My top 5 (in order... just):

1. Curtis Davies - Legend, needn't say any more!
2. Phil Jagielka - Him and Curtis have been excellent at the back all season so far.
3. Max Bird - Mr consistency... and I get the feeling we're only just starting to see how good he actually is.
4. Tom Lawrence - Scored some very important goals.
5. Liam Thompson - Looks like he's been in the team a few years, never mind a few games.

Has to be Bird or Davies. 

Davies has been outstanding defensively and popping up with important goals. Considering he was injured for the majority of last season, by rights should be halfway retired and was never really first choice center back, he's been phenomenal. True professional and is a role model for all the young lads.

Bird has come on leaps and bounds. Can see what the hype was about. Hardly see him lose the ball and he's now consistently playing balls between the lines, with some decent runs thrown in for good measure. He's also got a cracking cross on him and will only get better. Want to see more creativity up the pitch but for a CM at his age, he's got a bright future.

I honestly think that while we've had so many fantastic efforts this season (thus far), one player not mentioned yet is Nathan Byrne.  think his overlapping runs and delivery into the box has been nothing short of brilliant.

Over the years, I was always critical of how we've been missing someone who can actually cross the ball, and, well, here he is!  He should be a winger IMHO!

Obviously Davies, Knight, Bird & Jags deservedly get the plaudits but someone like Stearman who has let nobody down, starts and gets man of the match award, and is then back on the bench, no moaning, no whinging and no Lakaku type criticism of the club deserves a mention.

Real professional old school type………………..a real asset for the second half of this season.

33 minutes ago, Ovine_Interferer said:

I honestly think that while we've had so many fantastic efforts this season (thus far), one player not mentioned yet is Nathan Byrne.  think his overlapping runs and delivery into the box has been nothing short of brilliant.

Over the years, I was always critical of how we've been missing someone who can actually cross the ball, and, well, here he is!  He should be a winger IMHO!

Yes his one decent cross was great.

when you have this level of team effort, it's invidious to pick just one.  So, against Reading, world class save from Allstop from Carroll's header, reminiscent of Pele/Banks (and a far better save even than the last minute of the WBA game). Curtis' final header, brilliant, but Byrne is the only man who delivers that cross. And for me the unsung hero of the season, Fozzy, who has been relentlessly zimmering up to a left wing position to provide the only long-ball target in CKR's absence, only to turn on his heels and wobbly knees and take out the threat of Carroll or whoever on the far post. Then the Plange, Knight, Tommo flying squad...

But if you need to have one, it is so obviously Curtis  

Edited by kevinhectoring

On 05/01/2022 at 12:43, Old Spalding Ram said:

Obviously Davies, Knight, Bird & Jags deservedly get the plaudits but someone like Stearman who has let nobody down, starts and gets man of the match award, and is then back on the bench, no moaning, no whinging and no Lakaku type criticism of the club deserves a mention.

Real professional old school type………………..a real asset for the second half of this season.

He’s hardly played though ?

On 05/01/2022 at 12:54, Anag Ram said:

Yes his one decent cross was great.

no no no   he put it on a sixpence, with swing and pace, that is much more than decent. And you don't have the decency to mention the corners which - as per the plan to pressurise a short ar$e goalkeeper - he put on a thrupenny bit