'Igor Stimac: My Derby County'

Hi all - some extra international break listening from us, should you fancy it

Few players had as big an impact on the modern fortunes of Derby County as Igor Stimac. As international star at his peak when he joined the Rams in 1995, Igor's capture and the subsequent 20-game unbeaten run rocketed Derby up the league and on to eventual promotion to the Premier League.

In this in-depth chat about his four years at Pride Park, author Ryan Hills ('Pride') talks to Igor about the tactical change he made with Jim Smith which was the catalyst for promotion, persuading Aljosa Asanovic to join the following summer, the move from the Baseball Ground to Pride Park, and the reasons behind his eventual departure for West Ham in 1999.

A must-listen for all fans given Igor's status as one of our best ever foreign signings, we're delighted to bring you this exclusive interview with a Derby County great.

This podcast is out now on our Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/stevebloomerswashing

Here's a little clip as a teaser, about the moment Igor was asked when he was unveiled (when Derby were 17th), what are the aims for that season?

1 hour ago, Dethorn said:

do not disagree that he might be the best but there were some good ones around that era

For me Poom and Eranio ran him close

For me though Tod still edges it

I guess sometimes it might be an age thing ?

Poom and Eranio were probably better players than Igor (maybe, statswise, I dunno, anyway..), but for me it was Igor being the start of something and so immediately* so incredibly instrumental. 

That impact by one player won't be replicated for me, although probably heavily coincides with me being 11 at the time and just getting into football.

* from game 2 onwards. 

The 90s division one team with Igor had a perfect balance. Every player offered different things and the team really gelled. Then in the Premier League we were blessed with some great players, McClaren departure seemed to lead the way for poorer times around 1999 sort of time. Igor was a fine defender. A top international player. Amazing watching him play. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

The first game I ever went to was Aston Villa at home. I don’t remember much about the game apart from this giant of a Centre back who, during the first half took a mid air ball under control, proceeded to do kick ups with it then took on the onrushing attacker and played and inch perfect 30 yard pass. 

Open mouthed I asked my dad, “who’s that dad?? He’s amazing!” 

He replied “Igor Stimac son, watch him as much as you can because it’s rare you get to see a true world class player playing for Derby and he won’t be here for long” 

He’s been my all time favourite Derby player ever since, my god that side with Stimac, Eranio, Baiano was frightening 

21 minutes ago, Derbados said:

The first game I ever went to was Aston Villa at home. I don’t remember much about the game apart from this giant of a Centre back who, during the first half took a mid air ball under control, proceeded to do kick ups with it then took on the onrushing attacker and played and inch perfect 30 yard pass. 

He replied “Igor Stimac son, watch him as much as you can because it’s rare you get to see a true world class player playing for Derby and he won’t be here for long” 

He’s been my all time favourite Derby player ever since, my god that side with Stimac, Eranio, Baiano was frightening 

He got caught out about two minutes later and we conceded. 

4 hours ago, Dethorn said:

do not disagree that he might be the best but there were some good ones around that era

For me Poom and Eranio ran him close

For me though Tod still edges it

I guess sometimes it might be an age thing ?

Tod?

Do you mean Andy Todd?

Controversial but each to their own.

Edited by IslandExile

2 hours ago, Derbados said:

It was an amazing time. Just loved that team

It was the peak of my Derby Saturdays…home and away. Considering I was a Postie back then working every Saturday I’m grateful speed cameras weren’t a big thing. And when Asanovic arrived we had two quite exquisite players who played some of the best football I’ve seen ‘live’. Nope we didn’t win every game but the talent we witnessed was something else. Watching them play for Croatia told us we had genuine world class footballers.