Rams vs Barnsley (A) Matchday Thread

angieram

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Tonight feels defining in a bad way. Barnsley boosted by manager change but we still needed to get minimum 1 point out of that. We’re not having any luck at all, could easily have come away with a draw, but as Rooney said in his interview (after dropping the F Bomb), big portions of the last 3 games we’ve been off it, we’re not playing with the same verve, we’re not defending like our lives depended on it. I think we’ve lost something, maybe it’s the small squad and the weight of the club situation getting to them. The tactics tonight were also questionable- why is Kazim rotating and playing wide at times leaving us without a focal point. 

As for the players, We see glimpses of Morrison every single game but that’s it, wandering all over the pitch and ultimately not affecting the game. Knight at times was a headless chicken, not enough from Lawrence. Kazim was ineffective.

Many of us thought this would happen sooner, we had hope with how we’ve started the season but it’s dwindling fast! We now have an extremely tough run of games leading into Christmas, its going to take some effort just to avoid being cut further drift. 

The fans came through strongly on the TV, outstanding support but even the energy and life from the fans was sucked out by that performance as the game went on, albeit revived by a late Derby flourish.

Optimism is quickly fading and it’s looking like it will be a tough slog. Our only hope lies with getting a buyer and appeals panels being sympathetic to our arguments on Covid and P&S.

As for those saying we need a manager change, Rooney has stood by us in an impossible position so deserves a bit more support, and anyway, whoever thinks we can get another manager to turn this situation around is deluded. No proven decent manager will take this job! Not one!

As you rightly said,no proven manager would take this job,and a good example of this is Unai Emery who has just turned down the job at Newcastle,Decent managers are becoming more fickle as to who they would work with,so if Rooney was to be sacked or leave who will come to us the way things are now

1 hour ago, Sheff Ram said:

Frustrating thing is we've gone away to WBA and Coventry and got well-deserved draws. Then this tonight.  There was almost an inevitability about it, like watching a slow-motion car crash. 

And  Blackburn who beat us recently were turned over by Fulham tonight ¡,7  1

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not for Baldock, he at least looks like he can score if chances are created.

It’s funny my lad turned to me when Baldock went off and said, other than score I can’t remember him doing anything else. 

Perception and all that, he took his goal well but I thought his link up with CKR was poor, he never seemed to get on any header CKR flicked on, they didn’t work as a pairing for me.

2 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

It’s funny my lad turned to me when Baldock went off and said, other than score I can’t remember him doing anything else. 

Perception and all that, he took his goal well but I thought his link up with CKR was poor, he never seemed to get on any header CKR flicked on, they didn’t work as a pairing for me.

Yeah Baldock strikes me as one of our bargain basement signings at this level and it absolutely shows. He did take his goal well tonight but he's generally not up to this standard of football for me. 

Went to the game tonight. Fans were in good voice for the most part but became pretty frustrated in the second half. This was my first away trip since Hull but I've been to every home game so far.

Weird performance first half, started absolutely terribly and could have been two nil down but for some good saves by Roos. Took the lead with a decent goal and looked in no real danger up until they scored, though we weren't really threatening ourselves. Forsyth was rightly hooked at HT, at fault for the goal and struggled to do just about anything right. Our attacking threat was lacking largely IMO due to a lack of cohesion between strikers, midfield and fullbacks. This was also a large problem for Byrne defensively as Baldock was basically playing as a right winger but wasn't closing space or following runners.

Second half was near total rubbish unless you love seeing the ball played sideways with no urgency. Terrible free kick conceded by Buchanan who held on to the ball forever and dragged their man down after he was dispossessed. I might be wrong on this but to me it looked like he dropped deeper than the rest of the defensive line and played their player onside, before the ball was played over for their goal. How the guy was totally free though was ridiculously poor. We then proceeded to do nothing until Ebosele came on and took their defenders on. The only players even looking half alert were Bird and Knight before that. Aside from the obvious slow build up to nothing, it was painful how little movement there was from players to actually receive the ball. We play sideways so often because barely anyone moves to give the man on the ball a different option. Buchanan had to score at the end IMO, totally free header. I was delighted to see him come on, mostly because Forsyth was so bad, hindsight says I should not have got my hopes up.

Overall it was pretty rubbish. Barnsley were not particularly good, definitely better than Hull were but about on par with Forest under Hughton in the draw at home. Our problem is that we deserved to lose tonight. This paper thin squad is definitely being exposed now, we simply don't have the quality to consistently create and finish chances and our once reliable defence is creaking under the pressure manufactured by the inadequacies of those ahead of them. At this rate I'll have to get my abacus out for our games after the international break. 

50 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not read through this as at game.

Desperately need to drop Morrison now for a few games.

Give Davies the captaincy.

I guess that is where Davies was for the second goal, asking Lawrence for the armband.  He certainly wasn't marking his man.

Defensively shakey tonight and Barnsley deserved there win 

they had a younger side than us tonight and it showed against some ageing legs 

also Morrison …yes a good player but he does seem to over complicate things when an easy through ball is on it’s all well and good seeing a thread of the needle pass when it’s required but tonight again he delayed the obvious pass to try and do something different I wasn’t impressed tonight 

Lawrence tries but actually doesn’t do much and poor old Fozzy had a stinker aided by a keeper beaten at his near post 

I’m glad Morrison is not eligible for Millwall but it needs to improve as it’s very worrying how we seem to have gone backwards in last few games

also Rooney was right to criticise the performance after but the problem is he really doesn’t have many different options to change things about 

Rooney blaming the players but what about his selections? Two up top for an away game? That didn’t work especially with. No shinnie in midfield . And fozzy over Buchanan that didn’t work either.

to be fair he had little to play with and the thinness of the squad is really starting to show as games come thick and fast . Which was always likely to happen , as was our dipping into League one I’m afraid.

10 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Rooney blaming the players but what about his selections? Two up top for an away game? That didn’t work especially with. No shinnie in midfield . And fozzy over Buchanan that didn’t work either.

to be fair he had little to play with and the thinness of the squad is really starting to show as games come thick and fast . Which was always likely to happen , as was our dipping into League one I’m afraid.

I dont think you can criticise him for playing two up front in a 6 pointer. Especially when playing with a front 3 or 3 behind a front man has been so ineffective all season. The players we have just aren’t t good enough, no matter who the manger is.  

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

Fozzy was poor….but Buchanan was worse and he has to play two up front because both of them just about add up to half of a real striker. 

7 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Didn't work for me either but then I though CKR did less than Baldock.

A bit worried by the last two games, we rightly lost both but it was the manner that worries me.  We look lost in midfield, we really missed shinniesta last night. We are now starting to make mistakes at the back. 

we have got where we are on a wav of emotion and confidence and we need to continue to produce a siege mentality back to the wall performance every week. 

we need to stay in this until we can get some cavalry in come January as long as the FFP/ takeover is done and dusted