Who would you like as new DCFC owner?

therealhantsram

Who would you like as new DCFC owner?  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 10/10/2021 at 16:44, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

One article saying Mike Ashley is interested in taking over Derby.... 

Just speculation, don’t believe everything you read. 

I have a contact telling me that Mike Ashley was shown around at DCFC before he had sold Newcastle.

On 10/10/2021 at 17:03, Chris_Martin said:

has he???

they got relegated twice in his time, and have struggled to stay in the premier league each season.

Had some crap managers in the 14 years at Newcastle doesn't help. Sam Allardyce (never won anything, had a good record of keeping teams up playing awful football), Nigel Pearson (journeyman coach, over rated), Kevin Keegan (did half a season and left), Chris Hughton (got them promoted as he did with Brighton failed at Forest), Alan Pardew (steady boring football but not a winner), Joe Kinnear (just a fill in who was not a winner), Alan Shearer (lasted 2 months), John Carver (who), Steve Mcclaren (great coach won things but as a manager does'nt have a plan B), Rafael Benitez (good manager but wanted a spending spree to challenge the Man City's etc and unlike Mel, Ashley was not going to gamble) Steve Bruce (like Chris Hughton has won promotions to the top league but not cut it in the Prem)

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

Had some crap managers in the 14 years at Newcastle doesn't help. Sam Allardyce (never won anything, had a good record of keeping teams up playing awful football), Nigel Pearson (journeyman coach, over rated), Kevin Keegan (did half a season and left), Chris Hughton (got them promoted as he did with Brighton failed at Forest), Alan Pardew (steady boring football but not a winner), Joe Kinnear (just a fill in who was not a winner), Alan Shearer (lasted 2 months), John Carver (who), Steve Mcclaren (great coach won things but as a manager does'nt have a plan B), Rafael Benitez (good manager but wanted a spending spree to challenge the Man City's etc and unlike Mel, Ashley was not going to gamble) Steve Bruce (like Chris Hughton has won promotions to the top league but not cut it in the Prem)

That's the biggest problem with him, he's employed some crap, uninspiring managers. 

Much as Newcastle fans are mardy want-it-alls I wouldn't be keen on him being here mainly for that reason.

I did find their appointment of Bruce hilarious though, he's exactly that manager they deserved for their attitude, and it felt like a brilliant piss take.

On 10/10/2021 at 17:22, CaptainOakley said:

Sad part is the only good thing about Morris was him throwing money about initially ‘being a fan’ we all know how that’s materialised. However going forward we need to appreciate however buys the club will be doing so purely for business purposes and stability is key. 

I think that’s where Mr Ashley will work out, he will stabilise invest where he can based on what the club makes and that’s that. Certainly a good person to steady the ship, but of course wouldn’t be particularly fussed about the club but then again probably still more so than Mel has been for the last year or so. 

Mel gambled and it nearly worked, twice we came close to the promised land. Yes he's a fan and his fan's head ruled over his business head. Some one like Carlisle Capital or Mike Ashley would run it like a business and first job would be to stabilise the club. Getting a good manager/coach is the key to good progress. Lets hope Rooney is the man to do it, but if he does become successful, we will lose him.

4 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Mel gambled and it nearly worked, twice we came close to the promised land. Yes he's a fan and his fan's head ruled over his business head. Some one like Carlisle Capital or Mike Ashley would run it like a business and first job would be to stabilise the club. Getting a good manager/coach is the key to good progress. Lets hope Rooney is the man to do it, but if he does become successful, we will lose him.

Can say that about any manager..

54 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I have a contact telling me that Mike Ashley was shown around at DCFC before he had sold Newcastle.

Thanks for sharing and I never have a go at people sharing rumours (I did myself on the old forum but my source was wrong) however I would be astonished if that is true as I firmly believe it would be leaked as soon as it happened.

4 minutes ago, KBB said:

Thanks for sharing and I never have a go at people sharing rumours (I did myself on the old forum but my source was wrong) however I would be astonished if that is true as I firmly believe it would be leaked as soon as it happened.

It really just has, hasn't it?

41 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

he appointed all of them though...

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

The Newcastle United Board appoint them, the decision is not done by one person. The same can be said on who decides the new owners of Derby, It will be down to the 3 Administrators and EFL clearance, not one person.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Yes, and he appointed the managers and paid the wages of the squads who helped them blitz The Championship, which despite the protestations that simply playing at this level is a stain on their 'prestige' really isn't the case when they've spent a quarter of their entire history playing in the 2nd Division.

Someone pointed out that Newcastle have been relegated twice (twice! Newcastle! twice!) under his tenure as if that was ultimate proof of how awful he's been (talk about drinking the Kool aid), but.. so bloody what? It's really not beneath them to have spent 2/14 seasons playing in The Championship.

There's such a lack of self awareness amongst their fanbase and yet they're so outspoken that they've somehow managed to convince people, seemingly those who believe that football only started with the PL in 1992, that it is some great hardship to have done so, and that they should be amongst the elite, simply because they have a big stadium and fanbase and had a couple of good runs in the past 20 years.

As I said earlier I don't really think his managerial appointments have been good, but barring a stroke of genius or capitalising on a certain moment in time most managerial appointments ultimately lead to disappointment, and that holds true for Newcastle.

He tried the fan appeasement route by bringing back Keegan who was one of the biggest reasons they challenged for the title for a bit, it didn't work out. He tried it again with Shearer but it was a foolhardy approach, I'm not sure many Newcastle fans complained on the day it was announced though because that's exactly the kind of sentimentality they thrive on 

Edited by Coconut's Beard

A note on Mike Ashley and "sustainability"

You cannot stay in the Championship as long as we have and be sustainable. Sorry, but you can't. This is the one place I will defend Mel vehemently.

You have to either consistently spend no money, go down, rebuild your structure. Or you go up and you're set for about 4 or 5 full years minimum, even if you come hurtling back down.

Nobody in this league has been here for as many years consistently as us and Forest and that's because of this reason. You cannot stay in the Championship while the games finances are built the way they are.

If Mike Ashley buys us, it's because he's sure he's buying a League One club, and that he'll be able to sell a Championship club in a few years. He will not sustain us in the Championship, he will simply try to get us back up.

Only a fool or an idiot (or a rich benefactor) would try to spend to keep us up year after year.