Question on getting a parking ticket

Bob The Badger

The wife got a ticket drop through the post yesterday.

She was pizzed because she said she paid it on the app.

On further investigation she had paid at the exact time it had here there for two hours (she was only parked for 50 mins).

However, she paid for the wrong car park in Truro.

She has been using the app since we moved to Cornwall last year and thought it used GPS to pay for the right car park.

It's £50, but would anybody bother appealing it or is it a lost cause. I'm tempted to just pay it so I have more time to argue in the Covid thread, but not really sure.

Depends how much you want the £50 and depends on the ticket.

Personally I'd write it off as bad karma for a previous life and have one less night out this month. After ranting and raving about it to anyone who'd listen of course.

If you hate the idea of paying for the injustice then go on that Money Saving Expert forum thread where they tell you how to not pay any parking fines. 

Depends how much you value £50 of your time as you will have to formulate a letter appealing the fine together with mitigating circumstances and go and get evidence to appeal with which will cost your time and effort.

The only way I can see you mitigating the fine is looking at the terms and conditions on the car park providers website to see if the ticket is transferrable from one site to another or it specifically states that the ticket isn't transferrable. 

Or on the signage for the carpark does it give clear instruction to what the code of that site is and so on. 

Some good stuff on here, click around the site and not just on that post. It's quite often a case of sending a couple of shots across the bows and if they know you know what you are on about they will back off. But, normally after a bit of a Mexican stand off over it all. 

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/forum/legal-forums/motoring-parking/1582911-parking-tickets-read-this-first

If we still lived in a society where companies cared more about their customer's satisfaction and not just about how much profit they can make from each customer. Then  I'm sure that once you'd shown you had paid to park your car but mistakenly selected the wrong car park. A morally run company would cancel the fine. But good luck with finding one of those these days.

Is it a local authority or private parking company?

I got a fine in 2018. I had put coins in the machine and it did not work. I then did it via text.

A few days later I got a fine through the door.

Asked them to check CCTV to see me putting coins in machine and they said it was not available.

Obtained my phone bill which proved I had sent the text  and provided this to the parking company.

Basically, they just ignored all of the evidence and carried on sending threatening letters all of which I have ignored.

These private firms are just chancers trying to scam as much money as they can because they know some people cant be bothered to challenge it!

If youve done nothing wrong other than an admin error, and can prove this if challenged, I certainly would not pay.

To be fair to them @Bob The Badger, officially your wife was in the wrong, but I would still appeal on the basis of good faith, i.e. she did pay via the app and made a genuine error, (the app shows your car as in Truro at a given time therefore evidence it must have been a mistake otherwise how would she have got a ticket somewhere else? Her car can't have been in two places at once).  You then have to hope they have morals and are customer-centric, but where parking fines are concerned this is usually pretty rare as it's all about the take. 

As an aside, I used to use a parking app but have stopped doing so as they often charge an "admin" fee on top of the parking amount.  Most parking machines are contactless these days anyway so I just use my phone.  I'd only use the app as a last resort.  But then in principle I don't like to pay more than I should. 

Edited by BucksRam

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

On further investigation she had paid at the exact time it had here there for two hours (she was only parked for 50 mins).

She has been using the app since we moved to Cornwall last year and thought it used GPS to pay for the right car park.

It's £50, but would anybody bother appealing it or is it a lost cause. I'm tempted to just pay it so I have more time to argue in the Covid thread, but not really sure.

Perhaps take some pictures of prove mate even if it on the phone as well as the app and per haps go to car park and see in signs not always clear to were to park.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Based upon what I was being charged for parking when I went to Newquay £50 sounds quite reasonable for parking for 50 minutes. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

3 hours ago, Beetroot said:

Appeal it. It's not just about the £50 it's about winning. I appealed one last year - and won, got it cancelled. Felt amazing. I did document the process on here somewhere if you want to copy my work.

I like the cut of your jib (gib?) and I'm equally shallow so I may just do it!

2 hours ago, BucksRam said:

To be fair to them @Bob The Badger, officially your wife was in the wrong, but I would still appeal on the basis of good faith, i.e. she did pay via the app and made a genuine error, (the app shows your car as in Truro at a given time therefore evidence it must have been a mistake otherwise how would she have got a ticket somewhere else? Her car can't have been in two places at once).  You then have to hope they have morals and are customer-centric, but where parking fines are concerned this is usually pretty rare as it's all about the take. 

As an aside, I used to use a parking app but have stopped doing so as they often charge an "admin" fee on top of the parking amount.  Most parking machines are contactless these days anyway so I just use my phone.  I'd only use the app as a last resort.  But then in principle I don't like to pay more than I should. 

I tend to use a card but they stopped taking them in some places around here (notably Perranporth) for a few months so she started using the app and uses them a lot more than me.

I must confess I had no clue they charged a usage fee. Makes sense I guess, but thanks for the heads up.

Like at Derby city hospital my mum had to go as this old man was having issues at pay he did have card or app on the phone were bank card on it he went to reception all he had was cash so lady took him of to somewere to see someone and see what they could do.