'8 more players' - what now?

Chester40

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Is it really so difficult to end this embargo. If it was going to end up as a six point penalty we could have lived with it and signed some players and been taken over by now. I cannot think of any justifiable reason for not sorting it out and moving on, even after reading a lot of well informed posts by accounts experts. Is there another hidden 'advantage' for us not getting out of embargo other than not spending more money and still not being able to get a takeover done. Mystifies me why we have not resolved it as it seems to be entirely in our own interests to do so. It is surely better to be docked six points now rather than towards the end of the season when we would have less time to make up a shortfall. Some tough games coming up and a good few teams have really strengthened in this window. Warburton and Bowyer have clearly improved their teams. COYR

I agree.  There must be something going on none of us are privy to as it just seems ludicrous it's not yet resolved.  What that something is, be it EFL playing God, buyers' conditions of sale, MM throwing dummies out the pram, I honestly don't know.  I'm just waiting for the All Or Nothing - Derby County documentary that must be coming on Amazon Prime, during which we may finally find out what's gone on.  

8 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

There were many equally big problems last year as well. If your conceding 2 and 3 goals every week how do you expect to win games.

We scored 36 goals in 46 games last year. I would say that was our biggest issue by a long way. Do you think that’s been resolved this year ?

Just now, TexasRam said:

We scored 36 goals in 46 games last year. I would say that was our biggest issue by a long way. Do you think that’s been resolved this year ?

I'm not saying our goal scoring record was good last year as it clearly wasn't. But we also conceded 58 goals in that time and we didn't have the ability to outscore anyone last season. We ended up with the 2nd or 3rd worst goal difference, so clearly we needed to work on the defence just as much as the attack in my opinion.

No it hasn't been resolved this year, but the difference is we can keep clean sheets now which is why we've had some ok results.  

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

No it hasn't been resolved this year, but the difference is we can keep clean sheets now which is why we've had some ok results

We’ve kept 2 clean sheets in 7 games this season. If we don’t score more than the other team we won’t win many games this season I’m afraid.

46 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting take on Rosenior there. I find him eager to please, a bit like a young puppy! 

I quite like him.

However, wouldn't want him as stand alone Manager. Don't think either him or Rooney are ready for that yet. 

Ah well fair enough - You always speak so much sense angie I hate to disagree with you!

I just think he seems to have a sense on entitlement which I don't think is deserved - But I guess a lot of modern footballers have that attitude so I shouldn't be shocked

At least part of me blames him for the Boro debacle last season - He was the man on the touchline and I think the second half changes (which completely unbalanced the team when we were only a goal down) were his - I felt that Rooney taking full charge and retiring was down to his actions in that game and Rooney not being able to influence it

21 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

The first team are around mid table standard, maybe could challenge for top 8 with Beilik fit for a whole season. Nowhere near as bad as some have tried to portray!

Unless you think Beilik is capable of scoring 20 goals-a-season, he is NOT going to make our best XI a top 8 side!

To claim we could be mid-table is optimistic in my opinion as we simply do not have enough goals in the squad. Four League goals in five games - against sides that will most likely finish in the bottom half of the table - suggests a similar goals return to last season over the season and that is not enough to be competitive higher up the league.

I do agree that the way the team has played in the opening month has been refreshing but I can't help but feel that wins on a regular basis will be very hard to come by.

21 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Unless you think Beilik is capable of scoring 20 goals-a-season, he is NOT going to make our best XI a top 8 side!

To claim we could be mid-table is optimistic in my opinion as we simply do not have enough goals in the squad. Four League goals in five games - against sides that will most likely finish in the bottom half of the table - suggests a similar goals return to last season over the season and that is not enough to be competitive higher up the league.

I do agree that the way the team has played in the opening month has been refreshing but I can't help but feel that wins on a regular basis will be very hard to come by.

Yes Bielik's return will alter the dynamics of the midfield a bit but won't in my opinion, provide more goals. 

I'm assuming he will anchor and that hopefully Bird and Morrison will be free to venture further forward. 

A front three of any selection from Lawrence, Sibley, Jozwiak, Baldock, CKR, Stretton and at a pinch, Watson, won't get us enough goals to avoid the bottom six. 

Long hard season if we can't find two new forward players - now most likely to be loans of young Premier league players. 

43 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

You clearly didn’t read my post. 

I claimed we could finish top of the bottom six!

edit: looking back you cherry picked a section of my comment, which is worse than misreading it!

Edited by Ramarena

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Agree. Plus if we'd already had better resources maybe we wouldn't have 'thrown' points away.

Not much value in ifs and buts and maybes. Wasted energy IMO

Or in looking backwards

Much better to look forwards and make the best of our situation in the future

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

I'm not saying our goal scoring record was good last year as it clearly wasn't. But we also conceded 58 goals in that time and we didn't have the ability to outscore anyone last season. We ended up with the 2nd or 3rd worst goal difference, so clearly we needed to work on the defence just as much as the attack in my opinion.

No it hasn't been resolved this year, but the difference is we can keep clean sheets now which is why we've had some ok results.  

I think the danger could be that our defensive solidity starts to give way a little like the backend of last season but we continue to struggle in front of goal. I don't think we look like 'outscoring' anyone atm (we haven't scored more than 1 in any game this season). 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Is it almost nice to go into a season with low expectations for a change. Might make us appreciate it next time we do well. Ever since Zamora's goal, every defeat or sticky patch has been the end of the world.

Exactly. I said the same on the Florist game thread. After all the doom and gloom it was ridiculous how many were kicking off when in reality, given the state we're in, we're lucky to actually have a starting 11 and a full bench! Some Derby fans need a serious reality check I'm afraid.

Let's be clear (ohh I sounded a bit Tony Blair there) ; this season is about survival. We're a decent sized club potentially but we don't have any right to be anywhere but where we are. We made some mistakes but luckily, we might be big enough (in terms of fan base) to get out of it eventually.

But some fans really need to get a grip:

Those saying 'we need a 20 goal a season striker' need to get some brains. Every eff'ing club in the world wants/needs a 20 goal a season striker! 

And 'the players on free transfers are all dodgy' - Roberto Baggio, Steve McManaman, Sol Cambell, Pirlo and Ramos were all free eff'ing transfers so it's not as simple as 'they're free, something is wrong with them'. 

2 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

And 'the players on free transfers are all dodgy' - Roberto Baggio, Steve McManaman, Sol Cambell, Pirlo and Ramos were all free eff'ing transfers so it's not as simple as 'they're free, something is wrong with them'. 

There's a separate thread about free agents - a world of difference between free agents and free transfers.

The majority of the players you quoted deliberately didn't sign a contract extension with their existing club exploiting the Bosman ruling safe in the knowledge that they would find another club prepared to pay them exorbitant wages as they would be saving money by not paying a transfer fee for them.

Free agents were released by their clubs and can't find another one - two totally different kettles of fishes.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

There's a separate thread about free agents - a world of difference between free agents and free transfers.

The majority of the players you quoted deliberately didn't sign a contract extension with their existing club exploiting the Bosman ruling safe in the knowledge that they would find another club prepared to pay them exorbitant wages as they would be saving money by not paying a transfer fee for them.

Free agents were released by their clubs and can't find another one - two totally different kettles of fishes.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good retort! You’re right, of course. 

I did think exactly what you said as I was typing but still, just because they’re out of contract doesn’t necessarily mean they’re poor or trouble.