'8 more players' - what now?

Chester40

So Rooney felt he would like to bring in a large number of players..what does it make you conclude?  

Is it a disaster we didn't?

Did we have a decent enough squad already? Does Mel think the youth players will have to play now, so what?

Does it show we can't afford to buy them...or he believes he can sell soon and we don't need more fringe players who won't fit in when we have owners who want to invest in the squad?

Or does he know the EFL will deduct 9-12 points if we submit the books so it's better to struggle along with no deduction? 

Edited by Chester40

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

So Rooney felt he would like to bring in a large number of players..what does it make you conclude?  

Did we have a decent enough squad already? Does Mel think the youth players will have to play now, so what?

Does it show we can't afford to buy them...or he believes he can sell soon and we don't need more fringe players who won't fit in when we have owners who want to invest in the squad?

Or does he know the EFL will deduct 9-12 points if we submit the books so it's better to struggle along with no deduction? 

I might be missing something here, but you do know we are still under an embargo and can't currently sign players. We can only loan players.

It is my guess that Rooney wanted 8 to strengthen a depleted squad and have reinforcements for the whole season, without which we will struggle.

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Despite what Rooney said, I think Mel might feel vindicated by the performance of the youngsters this year. He’s fallen out with Rooney and maybe his view is: we need to get the best result in the ongoing scrap with the EFl. They think they have us over a barrel over the deadline but we won’t cave. We can survive on the pitch as Knight, Byrd, Ebosele, Williams, Watson etc get stronger. 

in other words, Rooney has paid the price for a good start; and for what Mel perceived to be disloyalty

Think that could be part of it but there’s so much we don’t know 

1 minute ago, BathRam72 said:

I might be missing something here, but you do know we are still under an embargo and can't currently sign players. We can only loan players.

It is my guess that Rooney wanted 8 to strengthen a depleted squad and have reinforcements for the whole season, without which we will struggle.

I meant afford on any level...either extra minimum wages... or the bigger cost of actually submitting the books and operating like most clubs and paying the going rate for players. 

4 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Despite what Rooney said, I think Mel might feel vindicated by the performance of the youngsters this year. He’s fallen out with Rooney and maybe his view is: we need to get the best result in the ongoing scrap with the EFl. They think they have us over a barrel over the deadline but we won’t cave. We can survive on the pitch as Knight, Byrd, Ebosele, Williams, Watson etc get stronger. 

in other words, Rooney has paid the price for a good start; and for what Mel perceived to be disloyalty

Have they fallen out? If so, it is still Mel's club why hasn't he just got rid of Rooney? Money for his payoff? 

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Have they fallen out? If so, it is still Mel's club why hasn't he just got rid of Rooney? Money for his payoff? 

Rooney has referred to the loss of pride at the club. ouch. Rooney now refers to him as ‘Mr Morris’ in his press. No more ‘Mel’ or even ‘Mel Morris’. Rooney doubtless holds MM responsible for the ongoing EFl farce. It’d be surprising if they were on speaking terms 

I hope if they have fallen out it doesn’t lead to Rooney walking away. Before the summer I wanted him gone but right now, if he was to leave, I think that could be the worst thing to happen (bar a significant points deduction). He’s clearly building a pattern of play and a team spirit, long may that part of what’s happening at the club right now continue. (Everything around it needs to change ASAP) 

26 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Rooney has referred to the loss of pride at the club. ouch. Rooney now refers to him as ‘Mr Morris’ in his press. No more ‘Mel’ or even ‘Mel Morris’. Rooney doubtless holds MM responsible for the ongoing EFl farce. It’d be surprising if they were on speaking terms 

5 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I hope if they have fallen out it doesn’t lead to Rooney walking away. Before the summer I wanted him gone but right now, if he was to leave, I think that could be the worst thing to happen (bar a significant points deduction). He’s clearly building a pattern of play and a team spirit, long may that part of what’s happening at the club right now continue. (Everything around it needs to change ASAP) 

If anything Rooney has shown over his career, it is fighting spirit. Although I wouldn't blame him walking away, I think he wouldn't want to show any form of weakness. Maybe just Maybe, Rooney has his integrity and want's to keep that intact and will not let the fans down

It’s hard to argue against anyone saying “Mel doesn’t really care anymore”. I’ve tried to defend him, but he’s currently looking like the kind of owner we used to think the like of Abramovic was… a bored rich man wanting a toy. He’s now lost commitment. Probably has a starving Christmas puppy somewhere. 

feeling decidedly annoyed for Rooney now. 

4 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

We have already lost Knight & Buchannan in pre season & in just 5 league games CKR, Ebosele, Lawrence & Baldock picked up injuries

My point being although I like our squad, we cannot expect to play another 41 league games without needing some more strength in depth.

There’s always the January transfer windows to top up the squad

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Mel wants to sell the club, he let Rooney replace CKR and Bielik - so he is willing to bring in more players, it's the EFL's embargo that is stopping us. Why we're not out of embargo is the point!

Edited by RoyMac5

56 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Rooney, Cocu, Morris ? As things stand looks like Rooney will be the survivor. 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mel wants to sell the club, he let Rooney replace CKR and Bielik - so he is willing to bring in more players, it's the EFL's embargo that is stopping us. Why we're not out of embargo is the point!

Agree with this but disagree also, we are under embargo because the way the club has been operated. If Mel wanted to help Rooney he’d have submitted the accounts straight after the results of the hearing. We didn’t and even submitted them (apparently) after the deadline given. If he really wanted to help the Manager, we should of done all we could to get the Embargo ended. Just my opinion and maybe he has, but as it’s a stonewall silence from the club we have to make up our own opinions.

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

If he goes then presumably Rosenior steps up, he's supposedly the more tactically minded of the two so I don't think our attempted style would change much. I guess then we'd see how much credit he should take for the changes we've made this season.

If Rooney went though likely so would Morrison, and we'd be another good player light. Hard to say what Rooney leaving would do for the morale of the rest of the players at this stage.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

That's speculative at best...

20 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

If he goes then presumably Rosenior steps up, he's supposedly the more tactically minded of the two so I don't think our attempted style would change much. I guess then we'd see how much credit he should take for the changes we've made this season.

I really hope not - He's been unimpressive when interviewed - An over-inflated sense of his own brilliance from a few decent insights on Sky TV

We have a squad of 25 of which Bielik and Kazim-Richards are long-term injured, Knight, Baldock, Ebosele and Lawrence are short-term injured (well done to Lawrence for playing the last game) and Marshall isn't involved for whatever reason.

The key question remains "When will we be out of embargo?" Jagielka and Baldock are only contracted until the next window and if we're still embargoed then we won't be able to extend them unless we have further long-term injuries. It was a little worrying that we didn't loan Bobby Duncan to Plymouth because they only wanted him until Jan, at which point he would have returned to us as a player of professional standing. This suggests we're concerned about still being embargoed then, or else it wouldn't matter.

I would want us to be able to bring in Academy bodies as and when necessary, such as Cashin, Thomson, Plange. It's been a terrible thing for these lads that the embargo has prevented them getting the chance they would otherwise have had. 

Have we got enough to survive? Let's see after 10/12 games. I'm not convinced we're fit enough, which is disappointing.