Relegation rivals watch

Bris Vegas

33 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I don't think that's fare Chello, 2 years transfer embaro, Look at the squad today...full of kids, Officials descisions are going against us, Not only are we walking up the down escalator but we're being beaten to death by the EFL with a pickaxe handle

I agree Al, but it’s the same team for our home games and our home form is brilliant all things considered 

40 minutes ago, Carnero said:

7 points in 7 games for Reading including the "new manager bounce".

Safety mark tracking at 39 if their season long points average continues, down from 40.

5 wins from 9 games (or 4-3-2) gives us 39.

Tough. Not impossible.

I think it is looking more and more like Barnsley are going to be the ones that we need to beat out.  They seem to have recently awoken and they annoyingly have the belief.  They performed a minor-miracle the year before last in staying up and I read that Woodrow (their talisman) is close to a return soon. 

They also have to play Bristol, Reading and Peterborough at home.  

I think they will be the ones to finish above.  Reading look like they're heading on a one way ticket to League 1.

41 minutes ago, SBW said:

I think it is looking more and more like Barnsley are going to be the ones that we need to beat out.  They seem to have recently awoken and they annoyingly have the belief.  They performed a minor-miracle the year before last in staying up and I read that Woodrow (their talisman) is close to a return soon. 

I think they will be the ones to finish above.  Reading look like they're heading on a one way ticket to League 1.

If they can do it there's no reason why we can't

1 hour ago, SBW said:

Er, don't we have to finish above Reading and Barnsley?

8 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

If they can do it there's no reason why we can't

They were able to bring in 2 pretty decent standard players to bolster the squad in January.  Particularly the guy whose loan was shortened at Fulham .  We lost our best defender and weren't allowed to bring in a fresh attacking player to give us more of a chance .  Those two things are likely to be our undoing.  Even keeping Jagielka till the end of the season already gives us another 6 or 7 points at this stage I would think.  I would actually consider bringing in Stearman at the minute and resting Davies for a couple.  He looks out on his arse and is concentrating on just getting through the game rather than being the old git orchestrating things position wise. I'm feeling sorry for him.

9 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Er, don't we have to finish above Reading and Barnsley?

We do... AND Peterborough!
I think what @SBWis suggesting, is that... in their opinion... 'Boro are as good as doomed.  Reading can and will be caught (by us).  But Barnsley could be the one's to scupper our Great Escape.
If so, I think I'd agree with that, at this stage.  I feel we are more threatened by Barnsley's resurgence, than Reading's current lead.

Wycombe and Wednesday would have been relegated well before the last day of last season if we hadn’t have had such a monumental collapse and terrible run in, leave the door open for them both on the last day. 

I really believe that reading are on course for doing just that, ending uk with a similar tally as what we had last season, but with a 6 pt deduction on top.

Id be surprised if they win another game all season. So I reckon it’s a straight race between us and Barnsley for who can catch them first. But we are patently better than Barnsley, so we’ll make it. 

I realise this isn’t really backed up by statistics, we got 36 last season, if reading were to only score 36, and then take into account their deduction, then that leaves them with 30, and they’re only one point off that now. 

I reckon they could do it though. I reckon they could go the entire rest of the season and only get 1 point. With Ince at the wheel, there’s no limit to how crap they’ll be. 

Edited by TigerTedd

There is definitely enough quality in this team to get enough wins.  Just depends on fitness, suspensions and mentality.  I thought the mentality had started to waver a bit recently, but I think they're back on it again now and believe.

If you look across the squad yesterday:

Nathan Byrne - created the most chances from RB in the Championship when we signed him

Curtis Davies - former Prem player and born leader, dominant in the air

Lee Buchanan - Eng u21 international

Max Bird - vastly underrated CM who could (if he doesn't have to be sold) become a modern day club legend in my opinion.

Ravel Morrison - former u21 Eng international and current Jamaican international

Lawrence - Welsh international who cost approx £7m

Bielik - Polish international who cost approx £10m

Jason Knight - full Irish international and likely the next one to make the Premier League move

Then there's talent like Plange, Ebosele,  Ebiowei, Cashin, Thompson and Sibley who all have promising futures in the game.

Sometimes I don't think people recognise there is a lot of talent in this team.  I'm not saying that in the sense there is any underachievement going on, because there is a lack of depth beyond the first 14/15.  Maybe there's more youth in some areas than desire, but then some of these young lads were recently competing in European competition against the best talent on offer, i.e Dortmund... etc 

Edited by SBW

14 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Given games running out, any opportunity missed to make up ground makes the task harder. We still look competitive though, Reading look dire. I'd back Barnsley and us to catch them up at this point

Me too. 

In my predictor (even less worth the e-paper it's written on this season than normal) I have Barnsley surviving and finishing 4 points above us. 

3 minutes ago, SBW said:

There is definitely enough quality in this team to get enough wins.  Just depends on fitness, suspensions and mentality.  I thought the mentality had started to waver a bit recently, but I think they're back on it again now and believe.

Nathan Byrne - created the most chances from RB in the Championship when we signed him

Max Bird - vastly underrated CM who could (if he doesn't have to be sold) become a modern day club legend in my opinion.

Ravel Morrison - former u21 Eng international and current Jamaican international

Jason Knight - full Irish international and likely the next one to make the Premier League move

Then there's talent like Plange, Ebosele,  Ebiowei, Cashin, Thompson and Sibley who all have promising futures in the game.

Sometimes I don't think people recognise there is a lot of talent in this team.  I'm not saying that in the sense there is any underachievement going on, because there is a lack of depth beyond the first 14/15.  Maybe there's more youth in some areas than desire, but then some of these young lads were recently competing in European competition against the best talent on offer, i.e Dortmund... etc 

Agree with your sentiments however you've made the fatal flaw of quoting a players transfer fee to support the quality of that player and whether they're an international or not.

Eddie Lewis, Butterfield, 50p head Claude et al all go to dispel that link.

Chris Martin was one of our best players over the past decade and we got him for nowt.

I think itll end up going to the final day between us barnsley and reading. Barnsley have been on a good run, but as we know all too well good things must come to an end. Reading i think will end up getting 5 or 6 points Not many. Meanwhile we need a good 5 or 6 wins id say to secure safety out of the last 9. A tall ask

10 minutes ago, SBW said:

We have talented kids, but they are still kids and the step uk is a big one. It’s just the nature of the beast that they can be very inconsistent. Plane can score a brilliant goal one week, and then make totally the wrong decisions the next week, and be completely invisible the next. Doesn’t mean he’s crap, just mean he’s still learning the best way to play at this level.

that’s what can be really frustrating. We know there’s quality there, and we kind of want, and need, it to be there consistently, but we’re not going to get that when we’re bringing so many kids through. It’s taken bird a good season and a half to get to a consistent level, I think Lawrence has only just learned it. It doesn’t happen overnight, but necessity is making us rush it, and hoping for that one in a million, ‘you don’t win anything with kids’ type team that hits the ground running. And we have zero depth, so don’t have any options when the kids do have a bad spell. 

yes they were recently in European competition, against other kids, but when they came up against Chorley, in mens football, they fell short.

this is not to say we’re doomed, but the quality in our squad is deceptive. It’s the emperors clothes. That’s why we’re lower-mid table quality at best, even without the points deduction. Why we’re not just walking over teams.

but if we can survive, then next season could be very exciting. These kids will have had their baptism of fire, been fast tracked to mens football, and we’ll have a team of Jason Knight quality home grown products. 

27 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Agree with your sentiments however you've made the fatal flaw of quoting a players transfer fee to support the quality of that player and whether they're an international or not.

Eddie Lewis, Butterfield, 50p head Claude et al all go to dispel that link.

Chris Martin was one of our best players over the past decade and we got him for nowt.

I think you make some valid points, and that last line arguably deserves a thread of it's own.  

?