Adventures of Sloth, Jon Moss and their band of Merry men.

Day

20 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Any news on buying Lowe? How much are Utd asking for him? I think we’ve got a sell on clause. Make it a big offer.

Someone on our forum suggested £8m. No chance we'd pay that. Maybe £3m tops.

To be honest I'm not sure he'd cut it in the Premier League, perhaps as a back up but he's been injured a lot this season.

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

We basically gave the league a 21 point head start as well with Hughton in charge and still walked promotion.  

Just trying to think if any other clubs needed to make back 21 points and how they got on...

Ah yes, I forgot every team in the league won their first 7 games except Forest. But being 9 points behind the playoffs with 114 still to play for when Cooper took over really is one of the greatest footballing stories of all time.

Just now, Kernow said:

Ah yes, I forgot every team in the league won their first 7 games except Forest. But being 9 points behind the playoffs with 114 still to play for when Cooper took over really is one of the greatest footballing stories of all time.

Managers get freedom of a city for much less nowadays...

24 minutes ago, scout's dad said:

is your username taken from when Notts Forest have won the Premiership?

I’m actually looking forward to then winning their first game, and the unbridled excitement, only to then lose 10 in a row and gone crashing back down to earth. 

33 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Don't get all the hassle you're getting on this forum. 

With such a sad existence, you deserve sympathy not stick and I for one am happy your team has got a bit of success after more than 2 decades. Just think how sad your life would have been without it - unfortunately it will be back to morbidity for you in 2023. 

It did leave a sour taste in my mouth on Sunday to see them clinch promotion. On one hand, I was happy for some of my mates who are red dogs to finally have a little bit of success but the majority's attitude towards our plight has been nothing short of foul. But on reflection, I'd say let them enjoy it for now... let's be honest they were damned lucky to get past either Sheffield united in the second leg and Huddersfield in the final. Watching the first leg, I thought they had a really good style and they seemed like a league above to Sheffield United but the second leg was absolutely shocking from them. The final, against a lackluster Huddersfield side was decided by an unfit hasbeen ref and poor use of VAR. 

They've got arguably the weakest squad to go up to the Premier League since Blackpool with influential players such as Spence and Garner on loan I can't see anything but a struggle for them. If they're lucky they might do a Sheffield united or a Leeds and have a solid first season whilst scraping by or dropping through the trap door in the second. I think what will be hilarious is the way a majority of Forest fans dramatise everything in their own tiny delusional heads which will make their likely relegation very sweet. You can already see it with their captain equating the club to a dog that has been kicked and treated badly to their fans moaning about their years of hurt and what their reaction will be when they don't storm the Premier League but come down quickly. 

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Sheep GIF   All those lovely sheep     go on you know you want to

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

Brilliant post.

For a bit of perspective, when McClaren took over from Clough, we were 7 points off the playoffs after 9 games and thereafter picked 74 points in 37 games and finished 3rd. The only real difference is that Cooper had enormous luck in the PO Final and McClaren had appalling luck. 

I also think that Billy Davies getting us promoted (without the benefit of 4 PL loans) the season after Phil Brown almost got us relegated was probably a greater achievement than Cooper's.