Rooney's promised new style of play?

IslandExile

In fairness, one game is certainly not enough to judge. Indeed, one game, plus preseason, isn't enough for the players themselves to implement the strategy perfectly.

But of those who saw the game, either in person or from their holiday villa in Spain, could you discern the foundations for a pattern of play that the team are trying to fulfill?

I'm pleased Rooney has said that having a preseason has enabled him to communicate the style that he wants the team to adopt. That's a better approach, IMHO, than just matching what the opposition do.

So what were the signs? Were there any indicators?

Play faster from the back? Long balls to the flanks? Intricate triangles from an interchanging front four? Possession football across the backline?

(Thought of posting this on the matchday thread but that's just turned into a series of posts slamming Jozwiak).

I dont think we ever had enough control of the ball today to really see our new style of play, Huddersfields formation stifled us.

He wants our fullbacks high and our cms split to cover the space left by the fullbacks, the 10 then drops into the space vacated by the 2 cms splitting. 

Forsyth managed to get forward ok but Byrne didnt get forward as much because their lwb had a brilliant game.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think the style of play was easier to discern when we had all the trialists playing. 

I'm sure that's true and it'll be interesting to have Morrison in the team.

I'm afraid I didn't see any of the preseason games so I'd be interested to hear what the style was in those games. Thanks.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

I'm sure that's true and it'll be interesting to have Morrison in the team.

I'm afraid I didn't see any of the preseason games so I'd be interested to hear what the style was in those games. Thanks.

There's free highlights on RamsTV. But its as @DCFC1388 says.

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I dont think we ever had enough control of the ball today to really see our new style of play, Huddersfields formation stifled us.

He wants our fullbacks high and our cms split to cover the space left by the fullbacks, the 10 then drops into the space vacated by the 2 cms splitting. 

Forsyth managed to get forward ok but Byrne didnt get forward as much because their lwb had a brilliant game.

Have to agree their LWB, Sorba Thomas has a great game. I think they picked him up last year from Boreham Wood, a bargain by the look of it.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

There's free highlights on RamsTV. But its as @DCFC1388 says.

Cheers. Hard to get a comprehensive overview of tactics from the highlights - which I have watched. I'm not up to watching a full replay of a preseason friendly (I know, I know half fan).

But thanks to you and @DCFC1388. I look forward to being able to watch games.

(The one - minor - positive of the pandemic was that I was able to stream more matches. Now I'm more dependent on reports from others.)

18 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

In fairness, one game is certainly not enough to judge. Indeed, one game, plus preseason, isn't enough for the players themselves to implement the strategy perfectly.

But of those who saw the game, either in person or from their holiday villa in Spain, could you discern the foundations for a pattern of play that the team are trying to fulfill?

I'm pleased Rooney has said that having a preseason has enabled him to communicate the style that he wants the team to adopt. That's a better approach, IMHO, than just matching what the opposition do.

Play faster from the back? Long balls to the flanks? Intricate triangles from an interchanging front four? Possession football across the backline?

(Thought of posting this on the matchday thread but that's just turned into a series of posts slamming Jozwiak).

Not sure how he can be judged as he has been dealt a difficult hand.  He’s not really had the opportunity to change the squad compared to every other manager of DCFC in human memory.  He maybe krap I just don’t know how to assess success or failure

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Cheers. Hard to get a comprehensive overview of tactics from the highlights - which I have watched. I'm not up to watching a full replay of a preseason friendly (I know, I know half fan).

But thanks to you and @DCFC1388. I look forward to being able to watch games.

(The one - minor - positive of the pandemic was that I was able to stream more matches. Now I'm more dependent on reports from others.)

I don't think full game replays are free any more (if they were). I think that might be one of the DCFC membership benefits.

Hard to get a grip on match tactics until we've a settled squad. Very difficult to ask Stearman and Davies to bring the ball out or look comfortable with it, although Curtis did a bit and Stearman was okay. That must make a difference to how well we get the ball forward quickly. But we have to make the best from what we have. So there's time and players needed to see where we might be heading tactics-wise. But we will be flexible to a degree in how we set up I'm sure.

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Not sure how he can be judged as he has been dealt a difficult hand.  He’s not really had the opportunity to change the squad compared to every other manager of DCFC in human memory.  He maybe krap I just don’t know how to assess success or failure

Agreed. I wasn't meaning to judge success or failure.

Last season, there was no consistent style of play. Throughout preseason, Rooney has been talking about getting the players to implement his favoured style of play.

I was just wondering if anyone could say what that is...dcfc1388 and roymac5 have given their observations.

Edited by IslandExile

35 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Pretty much as it was to be honest.

Good endeavour from the boys though.

I just think we could dramatically improve our goal rate by having runners into the box off ckr rather than relying on just knocking balls into the box from the wings,it's just a bit one dimensional and isn't particularly successful.

Mixing it up with both would be even better but with the emphasis on the former.

Hopefully it will develop in time.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

Unfortunately, with a spine of Davies, Stearman and Shinnie, we’re never going to be able to play the ball out from the back and through the thirds, regardless of who the manager is.

They just don’t have the ability to transition the ball quickly. Max Bird isn’t quite there yet either, and the same would apply for Jason Knight.

Until Krystian Bielik is back, expect a more direct approach. 

Edited by Bris Vegas

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Unfortunately, with a spine of Davies, Stearman and Shinnie, we’re never going to be able to play the ball out from the back and through the thirds, regardless of who the manager is.

They just don’t have the ability to transition the ball quickly. Max Bird isn’t quite there yet either, and the same would apply for Jason Knight.

Could change with the additions of Mengi, Jagielka & Carroll. I do hope Bird will step up & play a key part this season.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Shinnie hit a brilliant first time pass late on but in general terms I agree. And also the key role of Bielik.

I think if he has the players and squad that he wants then Derby’s style of play will be more noticeably different. Ideally I think he would like the option to go with 3 centre backs, Davies in the middle of the three with Stearman jagielka Forsyth or wisdom taking up the other spots. This frees up Byrne and Buchanan when fit to get forward more as wing backs and effectively lets you play with 2 numbers 10s behind Kazim-Richards which could be any of from Lawrence Morrison sibley or Jozwiak. This system would suit Derby more because our width comes from our full backs, your Lawrence’s Jozwiak sibleys and even Watson all want to play centrally and therefore make us narrow which was evident today with only Forsyth offering us any width, Byrne was unable to get forward much due to Huddersfield’s left wing back playing high up. The big issue for me is in the middle of the park. We need somebody who can get on the ball and until bielik gets fit we haven’t got one, bird is too passive and plays in spells and I love Shinnie to bits for his work rate and ball winning but in terms of on the ball he does lack quality. This is where the signing of Carroll would be a very good addition. One final thing I noticed today is that Roos consistently pinged it out to Forsyth who won just about every header against his marker and if those around him can read that then that could be a very useful outlet for Derby and is clearly something that has been worked on.