Rooney's promised new style of play?

IslandExile

38 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

Shinnie hit a brilliant first time pass late on but in general terms I agree. And also the key role of Bielik.

I think the proof is in the pudding regarding the number of touches and passes Shinnie makes. He isn’t a controlling midfielder. He’s a far better player off the ball than he is on it.

Huddersfield midfielder Jonathan Hogg made 15 or so more passes than Shinnie over the 90 minutes. Hogg, playing for the away side in a team tipped to struggle, was far more active on the ball. Tells you a lot of how it will go until Bielik is back.

1 minute ago, superzak said:

Good game....no midfield it was too easy for them to break on us...loved being back in pride Park.

Bielik is that player who can dominate the midfield and run a game. Without him we lack a player who can do that. It feels as if we'll just have to make do with Bird and Shinnie for a little while unless we can somehow sign players.

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not quite on topic, but watching Sheff U v Brum and before that Charlton v Wendies.

It made me realise how small our team is and main point how we have no player at the peak of their game. Or do we?

This is my main concern with our squad and those on trial. It is either players starting out, or those approaching the end. 

Lawrence and potentially Morrison are the ones you would expect to be at their peak. But we are not in a position to do otherwise.

4 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

This is my main concern with our squad and those on trial. It is either players starting out, or those approaching the end. 

Lawrence and potentially Morrison are the ones you would expect to be at their peak. But we are not in a position to do otherwise.

Yes, I'd forgotten Tom. I think it really highlights the mess we're in. If we are able to sign players that are 'ready now' and not either end of their career spectrum then we'd have a better chance. But I can't see that happening with our current embargoes but more importantly lack of funds.

4 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

There was no messing about at the back on Saturday. Roos hoofed a lot of high balls out to Fozzy on the halfway line which he won . It was not pretty but it got us up the pitch. This must be the new “Wazza Style”

You'd have preferred to see Stearman and Davies play out from the back then?

53 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

As you say Macca, we need to judge Manager’s by their results, 100% agree with you ?

Ah, but this season, not last season.

Or maybe next season if he's not allowed to bring in more players this season.

It reminds me of my mother. When trying to decide between two things, say purchases, she would flip a coin. If it wasn't the answer she wanted then "best of three", still no, "best of five", "best of seven". Spent a lot of time flipping coins.

When will it be ok to judge Rooney?

(To be fair, I think he's handling the crap incredibly well - I just want to get back to football and judging his football team).

It's a great question @IslandExile. It's too early to see a discernible difference. Mods can we pin this topic to see if we can see a style evolve? It's good that WR wants us to impose our game on the opposition BUT suspect that the many issues will mean that we have to be pragmatic. That said, football is not forking rocket science and the many debates about the relative formations {4-2-3-1, 4-3-2-1, 3-5-1-2} is largely debated by people with too much beer inside them and too much time on their hands. I propose our style should be:

1. Receive the ball, control it and pass the ball quickly to a teammate

2. Move into space.

3. Advance up the pitch in a collective formation, keeping your positional shape in case we lose possession.

4. When we get near the 18 yard box, try some one-touch link up play, and put the ball on the ground into the penalty area, 

5. Then shoot. 

6. Repeat 1-5.

Believe it or not, but this was the secret style of football that Mac1 and Mac2 adopted. ?

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ah, but this season, not last season.

Or maybe next season if he's not allowed to bring in more players this season.

It reminds me of my mother. When trying to decide between two things, say purchases, she would flip a coin. If it wasn't the answer she wanted then "best of three", still no, "best of five", "best of seven". Spent a lot of time flipping coins.

When will it be ok to judge Rooney?

(To be fair, I think he's handling the crap incredibly well - I just want to get back to football and judging his football team).

I was Rooney out at the end of last season, but giving him the benefit of the doubt especially with what’s going on at the club. If he can keep Derby up , he will have done a job similar to George burley in 2004 I think it was, when he kept us up with an awful squad and rooney will deserve credit for it. Hopefully we can get 3 or 4 more of his players in that fit the pattern of play he wants. There was certainly more movement, positivity and a style of play being developed in preseason. Aluko, baldock and Morrison seemed quite integral to that so if he can get baldock in - and Carroll and jagielka, we maybe one or two wingers away from having a squad that can at least comfortably avoid the drop - if we do perform. 

24 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I propose our style should be:

1. Receive the ball, control it and pass the ball quickly to a teammate

2. Move into space.

3. Advance up the pitch in a collective formation, keeping your positional shape in case we lose possession.

4. When we get near the 18 yard box, try some one-touch link up play, and put the ball on the ground into the penalty area, 

5. Then shoot. 

6. Repeat 1-5.

Believe it or not, but this was the secret style of football that Mac1 and Mac2 adopted. ?

Things already in trouble with your style. No1 not so easy for some of our squad. 

I would say @IslandExilethat the first game of the season is almost always a “just don’t lose” scenario and indicates almost nothing about Rooney other than his preferred players.

To his credit, he made subs a lot more proactively- that is at least one positive when compared to last season.

I think we will need to wait until Game No.10-15 before we can properly answer this question. And we should try to at that point, as time and time again Wayne has made it a point to stress that he couldn’t possibly have managed to insert any kind of style last season, and that this season will be plenty different from the dross he managed previously. 

Comparing the Huddersfield game to the pre-season games I watched the difference between them was there to see.

Which I'm not suprised with as we have had a week of preparation that has not been ideal.

Hopefully we will get back to the style of the pre-season games in the coming weeks.

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think we will need to wait until Game No.10-15 before we can properly answer this question.

I agree and I tried to say that I thought it was too early to tell.

I just wondered if there were any indications from this first game - and from the preseason friendlies - of what the players were trying to implement.

But yeah, I agree, let's give it a few games.