Premier League 21/22

Day

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's like someone at Arsenal found a magic lamp and their Arsenal related wish was "I wish Arsenal were no longer a Europa League team at best", and the genie technically granted it but not in the way he hoped.

I remember the days when Arsenals big day out in Europe was the cup winners cup every 7 years and they hadn't won a title in 20.  Wenger was driven out despite winning 7 FA cups and 3  League titles as well as getting them to a champions league final in the same period,  This despite having an extremely expensive new ground to fund, much covered by his ability to find players at a low price and sell them high just before there star quality waned.  I find it all quite amusing. 

The gap between Chelsea and Arsenal is huge. Probably the biggest has been since before Abramovic era when it was the other way around.

Arsenal's recruitment has been dreadful. They've signed so many ageing players on long, expensive contracts. Ironic that they actually helped Chelsea by taking Willian and David Luiz off them.

It will take them five years of rebuilding to get themselves out of the mess and anywhere near challenging again.

Chelsea on the other hand look really strong. They've got an abundance of younger players who should only get better while the likes of Jorginho, Azpilicueta, Lukaku, Rudiger, Kante and Alonso are all 28-30. Prime years.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I also think the PL will have a new prolonged top four of City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea.

I can’t see anyone getting close to them even if Leicester continue to overachieve and Spurs keep Harry Kane.

There is more chance of Villa and Everton finishing above Arsenal than Arsenal getting top four.

What are your thoughts on Brighton, Bris? 

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

What are your thoughts on Brighton, Bris? 

I really like them. Entertaining football, great recruitment and plenty of young talent. Good manager too.

I reckon they can finish top half this season.

For me they have overtaken the likes of Palace, Southampton and Burnley. I’m kind of jealous of them. They’re exactly how I would want Derby to be after top-flight consolidation.

On 23/08/2021 at 02:00, Bris Vegas said:

I really like them. Entertaining football, great recruitment and plenty of young talent. Good manager too.

I reckon they can finish top half this season.

For me they have overtaken the likes of Palace, Southampton and Burnley. I’m kind of jealous of them. They’re exactly how I would want Derby to be after top-flight consolidation.

Brighton have a respectable model, but this is now their fifth season in the Premier League and their highest finish thus far is 15th.

So talk of them having overtaken teams and even finishing in the top half seems a bit fanciful to me.

I do agree that there is a lot to admire about the way they operate, but until they translate promise into points on the board and kick on, why would we harbour feelings of jealousy?

Let’s be honest, Derby fans wouldn’t be satisfied with flitting between 15th and 17th for four years.

We would be looking to emulate the likes of Leeds, Wolves and Villa.

I see social media and especially Sky are going mad celebrating Michail Antonio becoming West Ham’s all time premiership goal scorer with 50. Just to put it into context he’s not even in the top 20 all time top goals scorers for West Ham, he’s got a long way to go to catch the likes of Geoff Hurst with 252. 
It’s like anything pre 1992 is just erased from History. 

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Brighton have a respectable model, but this is now their fifth season in the Premier League and their highest finish thus far is 15th.

So talk of them having overtaken teams and even finishing in the top half seems a bit fanciful to me.

I do agree that there is a lot to admire about the way they operate, but until they translate promise into points on the board and kick on, why would we harbour feelings of jealousy?

Let’s be honest, Derby fans wouldn’t be satisfied with flitting between 15th and 17th for four years.

You do realise that Wolves “flitted” to exactly 13th last season don’t you…and if you want to be really picky, Leeds and Wolves are both currently “flitting” about in 15th and 16th place.! Ha ha 

On 18/08/2021 at 11:58, MuespachRam said:

There was a fact I heard that last weekend 75% of all games in the top 2 divisions in England had at least 1 player who had been at Chelsea’s academy. They stock pile players all over the place which is leading to this. Great move for Abraham, get some games and experience a different culture. 

Tbf, that could well be a sign that Chelsea develop players really well.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

By all accounts, they finished freakishly low last season based on the chances they created. I know finishing is part of the game, but a lot of smart pundits are tipping them for the top half this season simply because it's incredibly unlikely that they'll be as wasteful as they were last season.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

By all accounts, they finished freakishly low last season based on the chances they created. I know finishing is part of the game, but a lot of smart pundits are tipping them for the top half this season simply because it's incredibly unlikely that they'll be as wasteful as they were last season.

I’m not sure what It even means, but on the expected goals stat thing, they finished 6th last season… 

9 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I’m not sure what It even means, but on the expected goals stat thing, they finished 6th last season… 

I think it essentially means that if they had finished their chances at the statistically expected rate, they would have finished 6th (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

All ifs and buts I know, but it demonstrates the quality of chances they created and how one small element let them down. If they can fix that (or if they simply revert to the mean), you can see why people are tipping them to finish in the top half.

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Good points. But I just see a clear development from the Brighton today compared to the one under Chris Hughton.

They should have finished much higher last season based on performances. They lacked a regular goal scorer.

This season I believe they will finish higher than Southampton, Burnley, Palace, Watford, Norwich, Newcastle and Brentford. So that’s 13th at least.