Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

13 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

But I'm not asking a top level centre back. I'm asking you. What is the difference?

I know in one of the FMs I had great success with left-footed centre backs on the right and vice versa. Then they changed the algorithm and they looked a shambles. I've often wondered why and now you can inform me...

I think the best in the world can do either, but it’s just how your body is naturally positioned when u play with your stronger foot passing it out. The angles of passes to the fullbacks and wingers are wider. Also I’m fairly sure I read something about how your preferred foot/hand impacts how you think about the position of your body in some way.

Playing alright 

will feel a lot more comfortable when we have some actual signatures on paper but look decent 

hard to tell or read anything into friendlies really but it’s been ok 

still think we need a little more at the sharp end but am hopeful 

9 minutes ago, Shang said:

Rooney before the game said the first 11 would be playing 60mins and then he'd make 8-9 changes at the 60 min mark.

It'd be weird to play these players and build their fitness up if he wasn't planning to keep them.

It doesn't really matter whether he plans to keep them or not. What matters is whether or not the EFL decide to come down from their ivory tower to grant us permission to sign new players. I assume he wants to keep all of these guys who are starting and judging from the performance so far I hope he is allowed to, but as far as we are aware we will can't sign any of them. 

Decent half.

Obviously not up to full fitness/sharpness yet but quite promising.

Like the look of the trialists so far, too early to say give them a contract though.

I think there's some tactics in there somewhere too. DMs are dropping into full back to allow them to press up, and there is movement in the 3 AMs.

Still think we need more in defence, any time they run at us we look panicked and prone to errors. An experienced left back would be something I'd look at.

21 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Tom just missed an open goal. Free header from 4 yards out. Didn't have to jump. Keeper on his line. Headed over the bar. From an Aluko cross.

So it wasn't an open goal then, the keeper was on his line? Nether the less he should have done better

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

So it wasn't an open goal then, the keeper was on his line? Nether the less he should have done better

Pedant! :) With the keeper on his line not threatening you, you're four yards out able to pick your spot and as long as you put it either side of the goalie there's no way he can save it. That's an open goal for me.

Edited by Carl Sagan

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Pedant! ? With the keeper on his line not threatening you, you're four yards out able to pick your spot and as long as you put it either side of the goalie there's no way he can save it. That's an open goal for me.

Call it what you like, it wasn't an open goal. Describing it as an open goal implies all he had to do what get it on target. I agree he should have better though. 

Edited by Tamworthram

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Call it what you like, it wasn't an open goal. Describing it as an open goal implies all he had to do what get it on target. I agree he should have better though. 

I would expect to score that 97 times out of 100. Let alone a professional footballer.