Man Utd Preseason, the return of the fan

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Maybe spend your time enjoying the game instead of being such a wum during our first pre-season. The first 10 minutes that I was able to watch we looked alright but suffered from similar issues that plagued us at the back end of last season. A lack of a goal threat going forward and struggling for penetration. 

Ten minute expert figures

Very happy with the first half an hour especially given it's the first pre-season friendly, it must be damn hot out there, these guys won't have played together much and whilst it's hardly United's first team, and they must have few gears to move up, there is still plenty of expensive talent on the pitch for them.

Morrison looks smart and composed in the ball. Aluko showed some very neat touches and bit of skill to help set up a chance which Lawrence just nodded over the bar - probably should of scored.

I said yesterday the result doesn’t matter but Derby really need to set down a marker in terms of style, organisation etc and so far we are doing that. Some good movement, winning the ball back, pressing quite high. 

So far:

Ravel Morrison - Takes risks with the ball, passing it forward or playing sly passes to keep possession. Doesn't look like a rusty player at all. He's pairing really well with the Shinnie and Bird in midfield.

Sone Aluko - He can be seen all over the pitch at the moment, loads of energy, switching from the wings to number 10. Has tracked back and acted as a second full back a couple of times. Looks to be confident with both feet, first impressions is he's a really good player.

Sam Baldock - Constantly running past the defence and on the shoulder of the defenders. It's nice to have a striker who isn't constantly dropping back to receive the ball.

Phil Jagielka - Not seen too much as he's done anything wrong, looks solid enough and has paired well with Davies.

Overall we're dominating the ball, we're playing more attacking-minded, whenever we attack we mostly just have Davies and Jagielka back. We're comfortably playing out from the back and retaining possession too. Apart from Birds mistake that lead to the goal we haven't looked like we're being troubled.

1 minute ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Ten minute expert figures

Just like claiming this side would never be relegated on the back of 17 minutes of play. At least I caveated my statement by literally saying 'off the first ten minutes i saw' 

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

1) I was just asking the question.

2) Ask any top-level centre back and they’ll tell you there’s a difference.

But I'm not asking a top level centre back. I'm asking you. What is the difference?

I know in one of the FMs I had great success with left-footed centre backs on the right and vice versa. Then they changed the algorithm and they looked a shambles. I've often wondered why and now you can inform me...

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Very happy with the first half an hour especially given it's the first pre-season friendly, it must be damn hot out there, these guys won't have played together much and whilst it's hardly United's first team, and they must have few gears to move up, there is still plenty of expensive talent on the pitch for them.

Not a first team however one player cost 48,000,000 alone. I bet Mel would take that for the whole club at the moment 

Edited by BathRam72

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You may be right but this isn't the side that will start the first game.

Rooney before the game said the first 11 would be playing 60mins and then he'd make 8-9 changes at the 60 min mark.

It'd be weird to play these players and build their fitness up if he wasn't planning to keep them.

Guess this new ‘style’ Rooney was talking about is playing out from the back. Our defensive half was watered heavily before the game. Nothing on the offensive half. Bird and Shinnie keep dropping in between the centre backs to pick up the ball when there’s nothing on.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

But I'm not asking a top level centre back. I'm asking you. What is the difference?

I know in one of the FMs I had great success with left-footed centre backs on the right and vice versa. Then they changed the algorithm and they looked a shambles. I've often wondered why and now you can inform me...

Presumably if you’ve played most of your career on one side you get used to defending and receiving the ball in a certain way. Switch to the other side and I imagine it would throw you off.

I don’t know because I’ve never played centre back, but it’s what you hear.

Just now, Shang said:

Rooney before the game said the first 11 would be playing 60mins and then he'd make 8-9 changes at the 60 min mark.

It'd be weird to play these players and build their fitness up if he wasn't planning to keep them.

He may be planning to keep them. He has to get permission from the EFL to do so and, at the moment, that looks like close to whatever the opposite of a foregone conclusion is.

2 minutes ago, Shang said:

Pretty sure he said he’d make a couple at half time as well.