Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

When next season starts, the youth sides will have undergone a complete transformation within 12 months for a variety of reasons.

U23s
First team: Foulkes, McDonald, Cashin, LThompson, Watson, Hutchinson, Wilson, Stretton, Cybulski
Likely to be released: Dixon, Matthews, Shonibare
Already sold/released: Brown, PdG, Ebosele, SThompson, Plange
Missing: Duncan

That means, from the 23 we had at the start of last season, we'll be left with just 5: Bardell, Solomon, WGP, Clarke, Aghatise
And the following stepping up from the U18s: Roberts, Evans, Brailsford, Christie, DRobinson, Ibrahim, Kelly, Richards

U18s
Promoted to u23s or first team: Roberts, Randle, Evans, Brailsford, Christie, DRobinson, Ibrahim, Kelly, Richards, Ebiowei
Already sold/released: Ryan, Rutt (reported to be going to US?), Williams, Borkovic, Eze
Missing: Moloney

Starting with a squad of 22, only 6 will remain in the U18s: Moore, Aideyan, Sebagabo, Fapetu, RND, ZDixon

Thankfully, a large group of U16s will be stepping up to the U18s. 
To get back to healthy squad sizes, we'll be looking at 5 signings at both levels, on top of all the new scholars and retaining who we have!

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When next season starts, the youth sides will have undergone a complete transformation within 12 months for a variety of reasons.

U23s
First team: Foulkes, McDonald, Cashin, LThompson, Watson, Hutchinson, Wilson, Stretton, Cybulski

That means, from the 23 we had at the start of last season, we'll be left with just 5: Bardell, Solomon, WGP, Clarke, Aghatise
And the following stepping up from the U18s: Roberts, Evans, Brailsford, Christie, DRobinson, Ibrahim, Kelly, Richards

U18s
Promoted to u23s or first team: Roberts, Randle, Evans, Brailsford, Christie, DRobinson, Ibrahim, Kelly, Richards, Ebiowei
Already sold/released: Ryan, Rutt (reported to be going to US?), Williams, Borkovic, Eze

Starting with a squad of 22, only 6 will remain in the U18s: Moore, Aideyan, Sebagabo, Fapetu, RND, ZDixon

To get back to healthy squad sizes, we'll be looking at 5 signings at both levels, on top of all the new scholars and retaining who we have!

Really is going to be a busy couple of months all round. Who usually recruits for the academy - totally separate to the main squad? Would assume if you are helping to choose where your offspring goes, an academy where club management really brings academy players through for promising futures is compelling (whatever the reasons!)?

41 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

U23s

U18s

I would be really sorry to lose Dixon.

I think he is potentially a better player than Liam Thompson (and he’s done brilliantly).

22 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Really is going to be a busy couple of months all round. Who usually recruits for the academy - totally separate to the main squad? Would assume if you are helping to choose where your offspring goes, an academy where club management really brings academy players through for promising futures is compelling (whatever the reasons!)?

The same guy who's been in the role since July 2020, who was head of local recruitment for 5 years before that. Doesn't appear to have been let go anyway.

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think he is potentially a better player than Liam Thompson (and he’s done brilliantly).

I don't see it. Dixon will be 22 in September and really needs to start playing first team football somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Birmingham city academy has been downgraded to a category 2 due to a lack of investment 

I was surprised they were upgraded to Cat 1 for the 21/22 season tbh. They were talking about taking the Brentford approach in late 2022 / early 2021

In the 19/20 season, the U19 side competed in the UEFA Youth League, where we got knocked out by Salzburg. Adeyemi was one of the stars of the show on the day and is joining Dortmund as Haaland's replacement for £27m. It got me thinking if any others that our youngsters faced in that competition have amounted to much.

Unsurprisingly, none of the players we faced in the early rounds look set to be world beaters.

Not many from Dortmund (who we faced in the round prior to Salzburg) have progressed higher than the 2nd division.
Raschl - 10 apps in the German 2nd division this season
Khadra - Signed by Brighton in 2020, he played 28 times on loan at Blackburn this season.
Knauff - a few apps for Dortmund this season before beign loaned out to Frankfurt and won the Europa League
Moukoko - still only 17(!!!) he's already played 30 times for Dortmund and scored 5 times.

A few from Salzburg have formed the core of their first team squad this season, whilst a couple others are doing well at other Austrian top flight clubs..
Affengruber - a regular at Sturm Graz
Dedic - a regular on loan at Wolfsberger
Seiwald - 9 assists in 31 games this season for Salzburg
Sucic - 13 goals and 5 assists from midfield for Salzburg
Prass - almost ever present for Sturm Graz this season
Adamu - a regular for Salzburg with 9 goals and 5 assists
Adeyemi - 23 goals and 9 assists this season to go with last seasons 9 goals and 11 assists.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

...That means, from the 23 we had at the start of last season, we'll be left with just 5: Bardell, Solomon, WGP, Clarke, Aghatise
And the following stepping up from the U18s: Roberts, Evans, Brailsford, Christie, DRobinson, Ibrahim, Kelly, Richards...

?

image.png.f91ecd71e75eac26f2dddc94c56de901.png

On 20/05/2022 at 19:23, RoyMac5 said:

?

image.png.f91ecd71e75eac26f2dddc94c56de901.png

Right leg by the looks of it. Shame. Anybody know what the injury is and how serious? If it’s a recent photo, he’ll struggle to make pre-season which must start around 20th or 27th June with season starting weekend of 30 July…

19 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Right leg by the looks of it. Shame. Anybody know what the injury is and how serious? If it’s a recent photo, he’ll struggle to make pre-season which must start around 20th or 27th June with season starting weekend of 30 July…

Don't know what the injury is, but the photo was from his insta a few days ago.

24 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

I feel like I should know this but who is PdG?

Perez de Gracia

On 20/05/2022 at 09:40, Anag Ram said:

Not sure about that. I don't think he has the raw technical ability of Tommo. Can still have a decent career but Liam's ceiling at a different level for me. 

The one I'd love to see get a clear run is Jack Stretton. Lad's a natural born finisher and could be the next off the production line. Tyree Wilson is another whom I think could step up if he stays fit.

• 2 weeks later...