I hate Captain Hindsight even more than I hated Captain Bob

richinspain

I'm not sure anyone should put much importance in a poll on this forum.

Even if you did, the poll highlighted here is one taken when we were having a good run. Our only good run of the season. People were desperate to see a corner turned, an end to the dire fare previously on offer. Of course people were happy with the the way things were going.

Ask the 109 people why they voted 'yes' in that poll and you'll get a variety of answers, one of which would be that they are genuinely happy with the appointment.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And yet he'd been manager for nearly 2 months by 15th January.

Yes, at the time of his appointment as interim manager there were many against it. At another point 94% were in favour. Hindsight after his temporary appointment, and hindsight after his permanent appointment. Football supporterdom is fickle ain't it!

5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

No idea ??‍♂️. The poll is in the thread that was started minutes after he was appointed.

Sorry, 94% on this forum didn’t vote in favour of him being appointed on the day of his appointment. The poll you highlight is towards the end of January....months afterwards....it was closer to 50/50.

4 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Yes, at the time of his appointment as interim manager there were many against it. At another point 94% were in favour. Hindsight after his temporary appointment, and hindsight after his permanent appointment. Football supporterdom is fickle ain't it!

How many people voted in each one?

How many people in each voted at random? Or to skew the results in order for others to draw false conclusions?

These polls are low stakes at best and should be treated as such.

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

How many people in each voted at random? Or to skew the results in order for others to draw false conclusions?

Is there any way to make a poll from those questions, then it would all be more obvious! ?

8 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

116 votes cast in the one I referred to. How many could have voted "at random" or to " skew the results"? As I have said several times, the point at which this poll, or any other, was run is not important. We have all had opinions that with hindsight have changed. It just annoys me that current opinion never seems to reflect that the opinion has changed with hindsight. We were always right and therefore Mel was wrong.

46 minutes ago, richinspain said:

116 votes cast in the one I referred to. How many could have voted "at random" or to " skew the results"? As I have said several times, the point at which this poll, or any other, was run is not important. We have all had opinions that with hindsight have changed. It just annoys me that current opinion never seems to reflect that the opinion has changed with hindsight. We were always right and therefore Mel was wrong.

I think the issue is that 94% of the posts about Rooney are by the 6% not the rest of us! 

29 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I can't tell if this thread is about Rooney per se or about football fans being fickle per se or that it's an attempt to support Mel Morris and deflect the blame from his critics. Or none of the above. So am out. 

For me, as the OP, it's about so many people changing opinions with hindsight, and then using it to bash Mel, Rooney, the club, the recruitment team, or the chef that didn't put sausages on the menu. We have threads that go on and on and on about how this or that was wrong. So many things have gone wrong, with hindsight, but when the decision was announced there was all round approval. We as fans want scapegoats when things go wrong. It is never that, as football is a sport, the other team has done something to counter your plans. Or it just plain and simple hasn't turned out as you thought.

There are some posters, @Angry Ram I'm looking at you, who have been consistent in their opinions, particularly as far as Mel goes. I don't care if he's right or wrong. Or anybody else either. We all make decisions. We will often change our minds with hindsight. Just don't use that hindsight to bash the person responsible.

The club is in a mess. From top to bottom. On and off the pitch. There are people responsible for that. However if you agreed with the decision originally why do you have to blame the people that made the decision. Hold your hand up and say "I agreed with the decision at the time. It didn't work out. What can be done to put it right?", don't just throw stones.

That's what this thread was meant to be saying. Support the club, support the manager. Mel isn't going until he finds a buyer, good or bad for the club. Rooney isn't going until he resigns, til someone comes into the club and sacks him, or until he does so badly in the coming season that there is no other option.

As for deflecting the blame from Mel, I'm not the one to do that. I do think that he's done many things wrong, however I agreed with the majority of them when he did them. If I agreed at the time why should I blame him now? All I can ask is that he tries to put them right.

6 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Jim Smith appointed Derby County manager, that’s a fantastic signing, said practically nobody 

Not from me. I was thrilled we had TBE. Loved his passion when he took Pompey to the semi finals v Spurs.

Remember him jumping out the dug out barking at someone and banging his chest. Proper old school.

At the time, that was just what we needed but it took some convincing my other mates.

Actually think we could do with a bit of this now, coupled with a shrewd coach.

Cheers

Gangway D from the terrace 

4 hours ago, richinspain said:

Well I voted for him then and I want him to stay on as our manager now. Even with captain hindsight.