I hate Captain Hindsight even more than I hated Captain Bob

richinspain

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

For me, as the OP, it's about so many people changing opinions with hindsight, and then using it to bash Mel, Rooney, the club, the recruitment team, or the chef that didn't put sausages on the menu. We have threads that go on and on and on about how this or that was wrong. So many things have gone wrong, with hindsight, but when the decision was announced there was all round approval. We as fans want scapegoats when things go wrong. It is never that, as football is a sport, the other team has done something to counter your plans. Or it just plain and simple hasn't turned out as you thought.

There are some posters, @Angry Ram I'm looking at you, who have been consistent in their opinions, particularly as far as Mel goes. I don't care if he's right or wrong. Or anybody else either. We all make decisions. We will often change our minds with hindsight. Just don't use that hindsight to bash the person responsible.

The club is in a mess. From top to bottom. On and off the pitch. There are people responsible for that. However if you agreed with the decision originally why do you have to blame the people that made the decision. Hold your hand up and say "I agreed with the decision at the time. It didn't work out. What can be done to put it right?", don't just throw stones.

That's what this thread was meant to be saying. Support the club, support the manager. Mel isn't going until he finds a buyer, good or bad for the club. Rooney isn't going until he resigns, til someone comes into the club and sacks him, or until he does so badly in the coming season that there is no other option.

As for deflecting the blame from Mel, I'm not the one to do that. I do think that he's done many things wrong, however I agreed with the majority of them when he did them. If I agreed at the time why should I blame him now? All I can ask is that he tries to put them right.

To clarify my opinion on Morris.. I have never been comfortable with him as owner, something never sat right in what he said or his actions. I do believe he wanted the best for DCFC, just that he was completely out of his comfort zone and was making stupid statements and had no real idea of what he was doing. However, that aside, my biggest grip was the stupid narrative that some fans held in that he was local and a fan ergo he was god. WTF being local and a fan has to do with anything is beyond me.. He’s am ego manic who has taken us back 20 years. 

4 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

To clarify my opinion on Morris.. I have never been comfortable with him as owner, something never sat right in what he said or his actions. I do believe he wanted the best for DCFC, just that he was completely out of his comfort zone and was making stupid statements and had no real idea of what he was doing. However, that aside, my biggest grip was the stupid narrative that some fans held in that he was local and a fan ergo he was god. WTF being local and a fan has to do with anything is beyond me.. He’s am ego manic who has taken us back 20 years. 

That's easy to say with hindsight 

?

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

However, that aside, my biggest grip was the stupid narrative that some fans held in that he was local and a fan ergo he was god. WTF being local and a fan has to do with anything is beyond me.. He’s am ego manic who has taken us back 20 years. 

Mackworthram is god

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

My one slight disagreement with this post is that I do think he’s a good owner. 

He just also happened to be chairman. We should have hired Nicola Cortese to run the club years ago. Let Mel invest in the academy and not go mental in 15/16.

For the record, I was staunchly against the committee, against him solo but certainly ventured he should get the gig until end of season once we went on that run that made mid-table look achievable. A 2.5 year contract was utter ducking madness though. The one win in 15 games was more than enough to change my mind anyway and I remain a fully paid-up member of the get him gone party.

Not sure whether this is the hindsight thing that it so lamentable as I thought the whole point of being an adult was admitting mistakes, not sticking to them religiously as Rome burns around me. That's not really fickle in my book, that's just common sense.

Bit stunned by the poll figures all the same but am assuming they come from the 'Bielik phase' or that Roymac has about 80 accounts on this forum.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

8 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes, the poll was nothing to do with when he was appointed and more to do with another pole...

The pole was started the day he was given the job permanently. I honestly don't remember if I voted, but would have voted yes. Here's another screenshot from the same day, so you can see that the thread and the pole were at least on the same day, and referring to Rooney's permanent appointment.

EB02CDEC-BC76-4C41-870B-E26808AF7F03.png

12 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

No doubt that he has taken us backwards, but an egomaniac? I once saw a list of all the charitable donations he has made in the area and causes that he supports that are not publicised at all and would question calling him an egomaniac. That prospective Spanish owner however, he definitely is. 

For every good owner (i.e. successful) there are probably two or three bad ones. It does not make them bad people. 

32 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

No doubt that he has taken us backwards, but an egomaniac? I once saw a list of all the charitable donations he has made in the area and causes that he supports that are not publicised at all and would question calling him an egomaniac. That prospective Spanish owner however, he definitely is. 

For every good owner (i.e. successful) there are probably two or three bad ones. It does not make them bad people. 

Being an egomaniac and making charity donations are not mutually exclusive, in fact the act of making donations raises the personal profile of an individual in some egomaniacs eyes hence the action. Not saying Morris is like that, using it as an example though.

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

He definitely is. So he gives to charities ?‍♂️
Let’s keep him then. 

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

The pole was started the day he was given the job permanently. I honestly don't remember if I voted, but would have voted yes. Here's another screenshot from the same day, so you can see that the thread and the pole were at least on the same day, and referring to Rooney's permanent appointment.

EB02CDEC-BC76-4C41-870B-E26808AF7F03.png

This poll relates to January when he took over permanently after a reasonable start as temporary Manager, back at the end of November. In November it was 50/50 for and against him being Manager from what I recall.....

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

He definitely is. So he gives to charities ?‍♂️
Let’s keep him then. 

I didn't say we should keep him. He has failed and wants to go. I save my ire for those that don't care or don't try. 

And confidently saying that he definitley is an egomaniac doesn't make him one. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Being an egomaniac and making charity donations are not mutually exclusive, in fact the act of making donations raises the personal profile of an individual in some egomaniacs eyes hence the action. Not saying Morris is like that, using it as an example though.

That is true, but it is the fact that these are largely unpublished and low-key donations that suggest to me that he isn't an egomaniac. Either that or, like Smashie and Nicey, "he does do a lotta great work for charity but doesn't like to talk about it", but really does want to. 

I voted against the appointment of Wazza for the way he went about getting the job. Using hindsight he has turned out worse than I expected. Not one player has improved under his guidance. Now Lawrence has missed out on the Euros. He must be gutted.