Morgan Whittaker

angieram

"He's playing in a role that's a bit different for him, as a lot of the guys are, but I thought he was fantastic. He's got a lot to really work on, but he has a lot work with.

He's been great since we came in. Really positive. He has a lot of attributes. It's about finding the best way to utilise him and tonight he's done himself the world of good.

I think that'll really help him psychologically more than anything to really feel he's learning that position and that he's growing into it. He's put himself in a really positive light."

Edited by Coconut's Beard

On 26/08/2021 at 07:44, Duracell said:

"League One player at best" was the cheap, lazy comment thrown about at him. Whether he 'makes' it or not (how is playing semi-regularly for a very competitive side in the English second tier NOT making it?), I think he has at least proven that wrong already.

He'll soon fall into the Mason Bennett trap of being judged as crap, simply due to only 2 goals in 40 Championship games... despite that being just 915 minutes of football.

He's not fast, he's not strong, so he has always needed a bit of time (a season, sometimes 2) to adjust to the higher level of football.
You don't score 20 goals and grab 12 assists in 20 U18 games unless you have something about you. The fact he got those goals from being a clever, technical player rather than pacey or strong just shows he needs time.

5 goals in 643 minutes in all competitions in his Swansea career so far. It's not going too badly for him.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He'll soon fall into the Mason Bennett trap of being judged as crap, simply due to only 2 goals in 40 Championship games... despite that being just 915 minutes of football.

He's not fast, he's not strong, so he has always needed a bit of time (a season, sometimes 2) to adjust to the higher level of football.
You don't score 20 goals and grab 12 assists in 20 U18 games unless you have something about you. The fact he got those goals from being a clever, technical player rather than pacey or strong just shows he needs time.

5 goals in 643 minutes in all competitions in his Swansea career so far. It's not going too badly for him.

Wasn't Callum Ball a bagsman at kids football though?

Not that I'm knocking Morgan. I thought we should've kept him and he got a ridiculously harsh ride.

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not that I'm knocking Morgan. I thought we should've kept him and he got a ridiculously harsh ride.

Ball had strength. I still stand by my opinion that he could have been a very reliable Championship forward. He seemed to lose the hunger for the game when we loaned him out to Coventry.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ball had strength. I still stand by my opinion that he could have been a very reliable Championship forward. He seemed to lose the hunger for the game when we loaned him out to Coventry.

He was warming the bench a couple of years ago for some team playing Belper Town. And when I say warming the bench, he was warming most of it as he is rather rotund.

41 minutes ago, Srg said:

He was warming the bench a couple of years ago for some team playing Belper Town. And when I say warming the bench, he was warming most of it as he is rather rotund.

I know its not a Ball thread, but i spent a holiday in Corfu with Ball, top bloke but not committed and self-disciplined enough to keep himself in top condition. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

True, they're Bobby Duncan numbers they are

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Absolutely right. Looked a superb prospect when he broke through and had a really big impact in those early days. Big as in size too. No trouble standing up to Champ defenders. Something went wrong though which is a shame.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You've outlined basically what aggravated me about (and still does) letting Whittaker go. Of all the young players we had he was the one that if you observed how he progressed in the academy and the style of player he was you could see that it was going to take him a little bit of time to get up to speed. 

It's clear that he needed time to get physically accustomed to the level he was playing at and to get stronger in general. Thing is that from a modern sport perspective is pretty much the easiest thing to fix. Personally I think it's always preferable for a young player to not be physically ready than to not be technically ready because the latter is  significantly harder to change.

I still feel he's going to be one of those players that in a few years everyone will be scratching their heads at why we've let him go.

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Like others have said I was a little surprise Ball didn't make it. The thing with him though is at the academy level he was physically dominant which can make a player look more promising than they are because it quite often doesn't translate. I think the point to take away with Whittaker is he was getting the goals whilst being pretty slight even at an academy level, which is something that's fixable with time and patience.

12 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Like others have said I was a little surprise Ball didn't make it. The thing with him though is at the academy level he was physically dominant which can make a player look more promising than they are because it quite often doesn't translate. I think the point to take away with Whittaker is he was getting the goals whilst being pretty slight even at an academy level, which is something that's fixable with time and patience.

Also mentally strong

Determined to score against his old club who let him go prematurely 

And did so 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Buchanan looked nowhere near good enough in the early parts of the 2019/20 season. With a bit of time and patience - plus a lot of hard work on his part - he seems to have found pace and strength that wasn't there before. 

• 3 months later...