Morgan Whittaker

angieram

34 minutes ago, angieram said:

Kamala Harris GIF by GIPHY News

I'm not sure if you meant it was predictable that people would focus on it being misshit, scuffed or whatever, or whether you meant it was inevitable that he'd score a good goal against a top PL team in his first game after leaving us, but either way I agree.

Lovely control, good awareness and movement to keep inside and after that who cares how the ball beat the keeper?

All the best strikers scorer their fair share of goals like that, well done to Morgan.

Edited by Coconut

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We've thought that about lots of recent youngsters - where are they now? This is still undecided. If he makes it, well the money saw us through. If he doesn't make it, well the money saw us through!

But for 700k, if we weren’t in such a dire state, you’d probably take the risk to see if he makes it. The money seeing us through is no comfort to me when we’ve been forced into selling young players on the cheap because of years of mismanagement.

Edited by Millenniumram

I'm especially happy for him as this is the first time he's been seen since being subbed off as a sub against Stoke.

The last time we saw him he was walking off the pitch with his shirt over his head in an attempt to disguise how upset he was.

He didn't really celebrate his goal today with any vigour but hopefully there are more goals to come for him.

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

But for 700k, if we weren’t in such a dire state, you’d probably take the risk to see if he makes it. The money seeing us through is no comfort to me when we’ve been forced into selling young players on the cheap because of years of mismanagement.

Would you? He's taking up an Academy place - he's 20. Why not sell Sibley and keep Whittaker?

Delighted for Morgan, gutted for us.

700k is peanuts for a player of his pedigree and potential. If he’d come to us for that money we’d be raving over him. Over the next couple of year’s he’s going to blossom into something special. His next move will be for an 8 figure sum.

How do I know? Because he has a good first touch, can carry the ball at pace, has lovely balance and knows where the net is. And I’ve been saying the same for a good couple of years now.

And let’s not forget that the Derby sales team let Emil Rys Jakobson go for free when a year later he’s being sold for 1.2m. Whittaker will make that pearl look like a world class bit of business.

The story in a nutshell? Sold at a ridiculously low bargain price to free up a space because we’re under a soft embargo.

13 hours ago, Zag zig said:

What was predictable?  

Well playing a kid that I believe in the junior ranks, largely played up front, down the middle, should struggle largely coming on playing down the wing for ourselves because many thought he hadn’t the physique to play the same role against championship defenders.

Yet Swansea play him in that same role he’d seen him play in junior ranks, he gets a decent turn, shot (scuffed or not) and scores! Odd that eh.

F.w.i.w I think the fee we got was right for what he had shown in our first team, but I do believe others will see better of him, played in a role he’s more suited to thriving on through balls and the type of manner Swansea try to play; time will tell though.

He mostly played on the wing since stepping up to the U18s. Even then, he only filled in at CF when Stretton was injured.

4 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I feel sorry for Whittaker, I really do.

Moving to Wales is bad enough but then to actually move to Swansea, jesus christ it's like Shameless. 

Wooooah now!

As a former resident or the lovely ugly city of Swansea, I'd argue the opposite. Swansea and Derby are very very similar to me having lived in both. They look incredibly bleak when you walk around the litter-strewn concrete messes of city centres amongst the local crackheads. But they're actually not terrible places to live!

You've got gorgeous scenery close by (The Gower / The Peak district), nearby bigger cities for gigs and proper entertainment (Cardiff/Bristol and Notts/Brum) and the cost of living is cheap. The walk out to the liberty has a very similar feel to the walk out to pride Park too funnily enough. 

If it weren't for the crazy accents Morgan would barely notice a difference ??

P.s well done on the debut goal Morgan!!

Edited by abertawe_ram

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Would you? He's taking up an Academy place - he's 20. Why not sell Sibley and keep Whittaker?

I certainly would, 700k should be pretty nominal for a club at our level, definitely worth taking the risk and keeping him to see whether he becomes worth potentially 10 times that. No idea what Sibley has to do with anything.

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I certainly would, 700k should be pretty nominal for a club at our level, definitely worth taking the risk and keeping him to see whether he becomes worth potentially 10 times that. No idea what Sibley has to do with anything.

How many of our youngsters can we keep?! 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well you're certain selling Whittaker is a mistake, certain he'd have become a first team player?

I said selling him for 700k is a mistake, or at least, it’s something we shouldn’t be doing if we had any choice. I’m not certain he’ll make it, and I’d be ok with selling him if we got a much bigger fee. But for 700k, given the potential he’s shown at youth level, I think it’s desperately sad we didn’t keep him.

On 10/02/2021 at 23:28, Coconut said:

I'm not sure if you meant it was predictable that people would focus on it being misshit, scuffed or whatever

Lovely control, good awareness and movement to keep inside and after that who cares how the ball beat the keeper?

Yeh agree with this - Lovely control and had made the space for himself to both turn and get a shot away - So many championship strikers struggle with their back to goal cos they don't have the talent to find enough space to turn (or the control or the instinct etc)

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I said selling him for 700k is a mistake, or at least, it’s something we shouldn’t be doing if we had any choice. I’m not certain he’ll make it, and I’d be ok with selling him if we got a much bigger fee. But for 700k, given the potential he’s shown at youth level, I think it’s desperately sad we didn’t keep him.

The question is never about whether he's any good or not but whether he fits into the system we play

I've had this debate with a few people about Marriott - Is he a good player? Yes (he showed it under Lampard) - However you seem to need to play a very specific system around him and he's not all the adaptive - Is he good enough to build the whole team around (like Rowett did with Vydra) ? Probably not

I feel the same about Whittaker - He looks like a guy who will do very well as part of a striking pair - But he doesn't seem to be a winger/wide player and I'm not sure he has the physical presence to be the kind of battler we need for a loan striker - And on top of that I'm not convinced he's good enough to build our whole team around

He reminds me a lot of Tammy Abraham - Both tall, quick, good with the ball at their feet and instinctual players who know the right shot and how to get in the right position - However neither are great hold up players and neither seem to link in that well with the team around them - I don't think that's the kind of player Rooney will want

So taking all that into account - I think any money is a good move for a player who's likely to only be a bit part for us even in the longer term

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh agree with this - Lovely control and had made the space for himself to both turn and get a shot away - So many championship strikers struggle with their back to goal cos they don't have the talent to find enough space to turn (or the control or the instinct etc)

The question is never about whether he's any good or not but whether he fits into the system we play

I've had this debate with a few people about Marriott - Is he a good player? Yes (he showed it under Lampard) - However you seem to need to play a very specific system around him and he's not all the adaptive - Is he good enough to build the whole team around (like Rowett did with Vydra) ? Probably not

I feel the same about Whittaker - He looks like a guy who will do very well as part of a striking pair - But he doesn't seem to be a winger/wide player and I'm not sure he has the physical presence to be the kind of battler we need for a loan striker - And on top of that I'm not convinced he's good enough to build our whole team around

He reminds me a lot of Tammy Abraham - Both tall, quick, good with the ball at their feet and instinctual players who know the right shot and how to get in the right position - However neither are great hold up players and neither seem to link in that well with the team around them - I don't think that's the kind of player Rooney will want

So taking all that into account - I think any money is a good move for a player who's likely to only be a bit part for us even in the longer term

I don’t buy that he doesn’t fit the system - I think he’s got all the attributes to make it as a striker, and he’s no less suited to playing on the wing than the likes of Waghorn. Regardless, it’s a poor excuse for not getting value for money for him - even if he doesn’t suit our style of play, he’ll suit someone else’s, and we should get a decent fee for him. 700k is not that.