vs Brummies (H) - Matchday Thread

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

no sibley, no roberts, no bird just no creativity 

We are allowed to bring them on as substitutes! 

We need to be as solid as we can be and take our chances and against Birmingham I have never seen a game of football break out in the past 40 years so we need to battle and battle all game 

Gone for a bit of a fudge option... 

They are powerful, dangerous in the air, so this gets us 3 center backs to try and cope. Width comes from the wingbacks which means the out and out wingers (Roberts/Joz) aren't needed and the more workmanlike and solid Waghorn and even Lawrence are able to work inside. 

The positive side effect of bringing Roos back into the team is that we now have an outfield captain to drive the team on the pitch. I never think that a goalkeeper works well in that role.

Pleased for Shinnie because he always puts in the effort.

All of the Radio Derby pundits claimed to be baffled by the goalkeeping switch, yet watching the Preston game my take was that Marshall should have stopped all three goals. Yes there were plenty of other mistakes with those goals, but when my take was that Roos would not have let any of the them in, he deserves to be playing today.

1 minute ago, Barney1991 said:

That’s where ckr never is unfortunately otherwise he would bag more 

His career record has never suggested he gets in that position so he isn’t going to start now and I think we have done well to get something out of him so far this season 

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

All of the Radio Derby pundits claimed to be baffled by the goalkeeping switch, yet watching the Preston game my take was that Marshall should have stopped all three goals. Yes there were plenty of other mistakes with those goals, but when my take was that Roos would not have let any of the them in, he deserves to be playing today.

He was very unlucky to lose his place and Marshall has been standing still for a lot of the goals we have been conceded recently ( admittedly some poor defending in front of him) 

Dismantles the promising Shinnie/Bird pairing to go with pure graft in the centre

Drops another creative player further ahead to go with 5 starting defenders in addition to that. Leaves us with only 3 attacking players on the park, all of whom have had recent issues with injuries & fitness.

Brings in a keeper who has shown vulnerability to crosses in the past against a physical & aerial team

All this in a game we need to win. Guessing the thinking is stay in the game & bring the creativity off the bench to win later in the game when gaps start to appear. The gameplan is seriously compromised if we concede first though, given our poor record of comebacks this season. Also wouldn't expect Birmingham to especially want the ball, the onus will be on us from the start.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not just against Preston but there has been several times this season (and it's been increasing) where I've thought that a keeper at this level should be saving some of the goals we've been conceding and that Roos likely would have done.

As a statement of the obvious the reason we are where we are is that we don’t score enough goals you can talk tactics all day but we have the lowest goals for in the division 

Archived