Relegation watch

Spanish

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Close this thread, we are not in this relegation fight, Leave it to Sheff Weds, Birmingham, Rotherham, Coventry, Huddersfield, Coventry and Forest. Did'nt mention Wycombe they've already booked their ticket to League One. Others that could get dragged in are Luton, Bristol and Preston.

Breaking news Dean Holden has been sacked. He got a phone call whilst in the dug out at the of the game and did'nt even make the post match interview.

I like the way you impose a nominal cut off point from Forest downwards who are only 1 point behind us. 

If you think that being 6 points clear of relegation with 17 games to go is a fait accompli to staying up then I applaud your misguided optimism

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Close this thread, we are not in this relegation fight, Leave it to Sheff Weds, Birmingham, Rotherham, Coventry, Huddersfield, Coventry and Forest. Did'nt mention Wycombe they've already booked their ticket to League One. Others that could get dragged in are Luton, Bristol and Preston.

Breaking news Dean Holden has been sacked. He got a phone call whilst in the dug out at the of the game and did'nt even make the post match interview.

Of course we’re still in the fight. Things can change very quickly.

I know Birmingham are in free fall at the moment but if they and Rotherham win tonight (probably unlikely but stranger things have happened this season) the gap will be back down to three points. I know we’d have a game in hand over Birmingham but that would go if we lose Friday night.

Also, if you think Luton, Bristol and Preston could get dragged into the fight then why not us?

Sounds very negative and worst case scenario but just illustrates that we’re by no means out of this yet.

Win 2 of the next 3 and then I think we’re out of it in every sense other than mathematically. It would take one hell of a bad run to be relegated from there and I maintain the fact there are at least 3 worse teams than us in the league. If we stutter between now and the next international break, April could be interesting. But I would still be confident, we’ve got our home form back and we have Brum and Wendies at home in last 3 games of the season.

It’s in our hands and we’re more than capable. I see nothing since Rooney took over to suggest we would return to how we were in the first 13 games, and I think we have a stronger squad now, even stronger when we get Lawrence back to provide competition to Jozwiak Waggy and Roberts (who looked class last night btw)

51 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Win 2 of the next 3 and then I think we’re out of it in every sense other than mathematically. It would take one hell of a bad run to be relegated from there and I maintain the fact there are at least 3 worse teams than us in the league. If we stutter between now and the next international break, April could be interesting. But I would still be confident, we’ve got our home form back and we have Brum and Wendies at home in last 3 games of the season.

It’s in our hands and we’re more than capable. I see nothing since Rooney took over to suggest we would return to how we were in the first 13 games, and I think we have a stronger squad now, even stronger when we get Lawrence back to provide competition to Jozwiak Waggy and Roberts (who looked class last night btw)

Don’t forget Ibe hopefully he gets some minutes this season

12 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Don’t forget Ibe hopefully he gets some minutes this season

Nearly mentioned Ibe but we just dont know. I think we have enough now that he can just get himself ready in his own time, if he’s back before the end of the season then great, if not something to look forward to next season when hopefully fans are back and he will get a big roar of support.

Feeling more confident that the risk is diminishing.

Coventry19:00Norwich

coventry on a recent poor run that has undone all their early good work, trap is starting to open.  Norwich having their own mini wobble but I would expect them to have too much not to win this one.

Millwall19:00Birmingham

brum not won in their last 5, Millwall not lost in their last 5.  Given that brum to win!

Bournemouth20:15Rotherham

Rovrum have games in hand but at the bottom points are preferable.  At some stage plucky little fighters will be confronted with fear of relegation and the dreaded imposer syndrome.  This is quite a big game for them.  Bournemouth win opens a gap for the top 6.

10 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It’s way too soon to get over-confident. We could get 7 points in the next 3 games and still go down.

We have 17 games to play. So much can change. Look at Huddersfield, Birmingham, Coventry and many others who were probably breathing easy a few short weeks ago.

In the space of 16 games, we have gone from one extreme (inept relegation certainties) to another (getting results with the consistency of a side chasing automatic promotion).

That should tell you that this is no time to rest easy and this group of players can produce both the sublime and the ridiculous.

@LeedsCityRam is absolutely spot on. It will only take 2-3 bad results and the house of cards could start wobbling again, so we have to be mindful of that.

We won’t be able to forget about the relegation battle until we are on 55 points. March and April will be a tough run of games and a big test of this team’s character. So this is no time to get ahead of ourselves.

Agree with most of this apart from the last paragraph. Why do you say March & April will be tough? Top teams are no more of a threat than bottom teams. That is precisely why everyone always says how tough this division is. 

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

Feeling more confident that the risk is diminishing.

Coventry19:00Norwich

coventry on a recent poor run that has undone all their early good work, trap is starting to open.  Norwich having their own mini wobble but I would expect them to have too much not to win this one.

Millwall19:00Birmingham

brum not won in their last 5, Millwall not lost in their last 5.  Given that brum to win!

Bournemouth20:15Rotherham

Rovrum have games in hand but at the bottom points are preferable.  At some stage plucky little fighters will be confronted with fear of relegation and the dreaded imposer syndrome.  This is quite a big game for them.  Bournemouth win opens a gap for the top 6.

This is the Championship so I am fully expecting 2 wins and a draw from our 3 relegations rivals tonight

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Agree with most of this apart from the last paragraph. Why do you say March & April will be tough? Top teams are no more of a threat than bottom teams. That is precisely why everyone always says how tough this division is. 

It’s not just the teams we will face, but how intense the schedule is.

6 games in 18 days in March, including three away games back to back in 8 days. Three games in 8 days at the beginning of April and then three games in 7 days to finish April. 

That is a tough prospect for a squad that has been heavily reliant on Marshall, Clarke, Wisdom, Byrne, Knight, Shinnie, Jozwiak and CKR to play almost every game and perform well.

What happens if fatigue, injuries, and suspensions start to bite? What happens if the players waiting in the wings endanger momentum or can’t replicate what those players have done?

Edited by Jourdan

I get why people are so confident. We’ve won 5 in 6 and we are six points clear. The ghosts of losses v Rotherham and Sheff Wed have been well and truly vanquished by some surprise wins at home. It’s easy to feel like we are unstoppable.

But look at the last year. This is a team of extremes. 10 wins in 16 to 2 wins in 19 to 8 wins in 16. History tells us that we are probably due a bad run and we ought to brace ourselves.

So far under Rooney, it’s been like an extended honeymoon period. Our ability to handle adversity hasn’t been well and truly tested. How will these players respond if one loss becomes two? Two becomes three? One injury becomes two, and so on.

As comfortable as things might look if we win v Huddersfield and Forest, that advantage could be easily chipped away at if we don’t keep our heads and manage the final 14 games well.

While I think that 2 or more wins in the next 3 will give us a great platform and increase our chances of survival massively, that will only leave us on 40 points.

This is Derby County we are talking about, there will still be work to do.

Edited by Jourdan

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I get why people are so confident. We’ve won 5 in 6 and we are six points clear. The ghosts of losses v Rotherham and Sheff Wed have been well and truly vanquished by some surprise wins at home. It’s easy to feel like we are unstoppable.

But look at the last year. This is a team of extremes. 10 wins in 16 to 2 wins in 19 to 8 wins in 16. History tells us that we are probably due a bad run and we ought to brace ourselves.

So far under Rooney, it’s been like an extended honeymoon period. Our ability to handle adversity hasn’t been well and truly tested. How will these players respond if one loss becomes two? Two becomes three? One injury becomes two, and so on.

As comfortable as things might look if we win v Huddersfield and Forest, that advantage could be easily chipped away at if we don’t keep our heads and manage the final 14 games well.

While I think it that 2 or more wins in the next 3 will give us a great platform and increase our chances of survival massively, that will only leave us on 40 points.

This is Derby County we are talking about, there will still be work to do.

I'm certainly not "so confident". As you say, things could easily change very quickly especially as, whilst we're getting results, we're not exactly cruising to victories - very fine margins between some of our recent wins and draws/defeats. But. I am feeling a little more comfortable.