v Reading (a) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On another day... Olise slices his effort, Lawrence or Kazim score with one of their efforts, Bird's effort rifles into the top corner, Sibley wins a penalty, and we all enjoy the evening having won by a fantastic 4-1 scoreline. 

We only get those sort of other days about once a decade tho.... 

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Yani P said:

Plenty of chances today..some average defending and of course the loss of Byrne also had a significant impact..not our day in the end ..shame as Reading were hardly great...but defending like that we got what we deserved..

I agree with this. It was a hard ask with Clarke out, no Edmundson and then we lose Byrne too. Going forward we went back to CKR, as a lone striker, nearly worked but for great goalkeeping. They score a worldy, when a player coming back from a long lay off wasn't closing down well enough. Then a defensive mix up and we let another in. We try two up top and we looked better, score our own worldy, only for Stretton to then limp off too. 

We haven't got the strength of character or squad depth to cope with it all!

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I find this difficult to say, but has Wisdom looked one of our better players? ? Mengi having to cover for Fozzie looks okay too.

Made up for it in the second half. How it wasn't given as a penalty when he kicked their man in the box...

Ah well more than Wis to be annoyed by. I thought they looked nothing special and if Rooney had set us up to be more attacking we might easily have taken a point. Disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Ramfambo said:

Who will he single out today. Sibley? Bird? Stretton? Ref? Physio? Kitman? 

Probably Kazim for that pitiful excuse of a challenge for a header for their 3rd. Shocking attitude. We were in for a sneaky point there. 

It wasn’t much of a surprise we lost this. Injuries haven’t helped and up to the last minute of the first half we had done OK.

In general the creative outlets of Sibley & Lawrence were ineffective but Lawerence gave a timely reminder of what he gives you, especially away from home if you perform defensively. 
Knight is a bit out of sorts at the moment and his game seems a bit in-between everything. 

Bird had a very mixed performance. On the plus side he showed when there is movement in front of him he can impact the game and tactics and formation seem to help or hinder him more than most players. On the negative side (as I see it) his off the ball game simply has to improve if he wants to get the most out of the technical side of his game. Opposition players run off him too often and he is always a yard to late to a close down or block when it matters. For me he made errors (and I will stress not the only one) for all three goals. 
Marshall - Being protected a little by his reputation. It’s undeniable that he has made a number of costly mistakes this season. He is just one of those players people seem to be a bit more forgiving of.
Mengi - Very tough brief for the lad. Was very good 1st half but did get much help from his pals in the 2nd.

The rest OKish

Second half was defensively appalling, today could easily have been 5-1 to Reading. First half we were solid if uninspiring, first 20 minutes looked rocky but we settled and seemed to adapt. We switch off giving their player 3 yards of space on the edge of the area and he blasts it in. Then we seem to go to pieces, concede a second and could have given away 2 penalties and they had a 1 vs 1 until we scored our worldy. Then they immediately go up the other end and grab a 3rd. Thankfully Rotherham took a massive hit against Wycombe which I think is the only bright point of today. 

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Thought it should have been at the time, BUT the way their player went looking for one later makes.mr think he didn't actually touch him either time.

Looked like a good wallop on the replay, but the ref didn't give much (at times). The second one Wis stuck his bum out and (nearly?) made contact I thought.

Archived