v Reading (a) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

1 hour ago, Turnstile said:

He is / hopes to be a thoroughbred,we need shires (not show ponies)who can get stuck in and do the work.Said it for years you have to kick your way out of the championship.The academy boys just aren’t up for rough and tumble football.They won’t be next year either whichever league were in.

I don’t agree.. some really good footballing sides in this league. Not to mention Max Bird has excellent defensive stats including tackles and interceptions so not buying this at all 

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jram said:

I don’t agree.. some really good footballing sides in this league. Not to mention Max Bird has excellent defensive stats including tackles and interceptions so not buying this at all 

How did he affect the game today, out of interest?

My latest mini-synopsis:

How frustrating was that? And it is the same old, same old.

Yet again we have demonstrated that when we actually put out an attacking line up, we get benefits. We have demonstrated that when we put players in their best positions, we get the benefits. And we have demonstrated that when we close the opposition down we get the benefits. So today  we go back to loading the team up with non-attacking players, we put players out of position, and we don't bother to press and harry the opposition. So what we demonstrated today was that none of that works.

Sometimes, and today was just such an occasion, you can watch a passage of play and know that a goal is coming. That happened for Reading's first goal. And you could tell from the team sheet, with Joswiack on the bench, that Sibley would be one of the first to get substituted. It was as  plain as day! The poor sod If an offer comes in for him, if I were him I would grab it with both hands because he might end up at a side where they knew his best position AND ACTUALLY PLAY HIM THERE.

Today was a great opportunity to play to our strengths and let Reading worry about what we can do. Instead we set up defensively, albeit a decision probably coloured by injuries to Clarke and Edmundsen. But why was Knight at the No 10 position? It isn't his position. Besides, he needs a longer break than just one match. So Sibley was out on the right wing, which is marginally better than out on the left wing, but without the creativity amongst the midfield/strikers for him to play to. So he was isolated for much of the match. Come on Wayne, use your brain!

And to the ref! Call yourself Premier League? He let the game get away from him almost instantly, with 3 off the ball clatterings of Derby players in the first two minutes, and the ref just carried on wandering around with a grin on his face. Then Sibley is clearly fouled three times within 10 minutes right in front of the ref and the lino but nothing given at all. He clamped down on Shinnie though! Ad at one point, after the third foul on Sibbers, the ref decided he needed to have words with both Sibley and Shinnie, who were obviously asking the officials for just a modicum of protection. The conversation ended with Shinnie quite strongly pointing to positions all over the pitch where there had been clear fouls and nothing was given. And as ever by contrast Derby players barely had to threaten to tackle and a free kick is given. And just before Stratton went off injured, we were playing out of defence right on our area when a Reading player took a swipe, I think at Bird, who skipped away so the nasty follow through from the Reading player took another of our players out. I didn't see who because the camera panned away, but he was still down when the ball came back to our area again. Yet more poor officiating.

He did us a favour with Reading's first penalty shout though. It seemed pretty clear to me. As was the two-handed push on Sibley in their area which he didn't give. Why would he? It was Sibley, and the foul was by Reading in their area. It was more likely one of those "evening things up after getting the Reading penalty wrong. Their second shout should have been a yellow card for diving.

To go a gaol down to Readings first shot at goal was very frustrating, and sort of unlucky, although better defending would have helped. Their second goal was again poor defending, this time Saviour Tom didn't save us. The ref was poor, yet another one, and Reading were actually surprisingly dirty, even reminding me of Dirty Leeds at their darkest, but in the end it was our tactics and formation which cost us the game. Not playing Sibley at his Number 10 position was an error. If he was ineffective, then by all means sub him, but not after he has been hung out to dry. What fi we had played Tom and Kamil on the wings, with Sibley in the middle? Who knows what might have come from it. And who knows what would have happened if we stopped giving Reading the freedom of the park, and pressed them? But why do any of those when we know they work?

So on we march/stagger/limp to next Saturday. Oh dear.

48 minutes ago, Jram said:

Really? I’d be interested to see those stats.

22 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Not playing Sibley at his Number 10 position was an error. If he was ineffective, then by all means sub him, but not after he has been hung out to dry. What if we had played Tom and Kamil on the wings, with Sibley in the middle? Who knows what might have come from it. And who knows what would have happened if we stopped giving Reading the freedom of the park, and pressed them? But why do any of those when we know they work?

*sob*

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

My latest mini-synopsis:

Yet again we have demonstrated that when we actually put out an attacking line up, we get benefits. We have demonstrated that when we put players in their best positions, we get the benefits. And we have demonstrated that when we close the opposition down we get the benefits. So today  we go back to loading the team up with non-attacking players, we put players out of position, and we don't bother to press and harry the opposition. So what we demonstrated today was that none of that works.

Sometimes, and today was just such an occasion, you can watch a passage of play and know that a goal is coming. That happened for Reading's first goal. And you could tell from the team sheet, with Joswiack on the bench, that Sibley would be one of the first to get substituted. It was as  plain as day! The poor sod If an offer comes in for him, if I were him I would grab it with both hands because he might end up at a side where they knew his best position AND ACTUALLY PLAY HIM THERE.

Today was a great opportunity to play to our strengths and let Reading worry about what we can do. Instead we set up defensively, albeit a decision probably coloured by injuries to Clarke and Edmundsen. But why was Knight at the No 10 position? It isn't his position. Besides, he needs a longer break than just one match. So Sibley was out on the right wing, which is marginally better than out on the left wing, but without the creativity amongst the midfield/strikers for him to play to. So he was isolated for much of the match. Come on Wayne, use your brain!

And to the ref! Call yourself Premier League? He let the game get away from him almost instantly, with 3 off the ball clatterings of Derby players in the first two minutes, and the ref just carried on wandering around with a grin on his face. Then Sibley is clearly fouled three times within 10 minutes right in front of the ref and the lino but nothing given at all. He clamped down on Shinnie though! Ad at one point, after the third foul on Sibbers, the ref decided he needed to have words with both Sibley and Shinnie, who were obviously asking the officials for just a modicum of protection. The conversation ended with Shinnie quite strongly pointing to positions all over the pitch where there had been clear fouls and nothing was given. And as ever by contrast Derby players barely had to threaten to tackle and a free kick is given. And just before Stratton went off injured, we were playing out of defence right on our area when a Reading player took a swipe, I think at Bird, who skipped away so the nasty follow through from the Reading player took another of our players out. I didn't see who because the camera panned away, but he was still down when the ball came back to our area again. Yet more poor officiating.

He did us a favour with Reading's first penalty shout though. It seemed pretty clear to me. As was the two-handed push on Sibley in their area which he didn't give. Why would he? It was Sibley, and the foul was by Reading in their area. It was more likely one of those "evening things up after getting the Reading penalty wrong. Their second shout should have been a yellow card for diving.

To go a gaol down to Readings first shot at goal was very frustrating, and sort of unlucky, although better defending would have helped. Their second goal was again poor defending, this time Saviour Tom didn't save us. The ref was poor, yet another one, and Reading were actually surprisingly dirty, even reminding me of Dirty Leeds at their darkest, but in the end it was our tactics and formation which cost us the game. Not playing Sibley at his Number 10 position was an error. If he was ineffective, then by all means sub him, but not after he has been hung out to dry. What fi we had played Tom and Kamil on the wings, with Sibley in the middle? Who knows what might have come from it. And who knows what would have happened if we stopped giving Reading the freedom of the park, and pressed them? But why do any of those when we know they work?

Really enjoying your post match analysis did not watch the game today as I was working nice to hear a good match report win or lose.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

My latest mini-synopsis:

Rooney is quoted post match as saying... 

"I thought it was a very good performance. We created chances and should have scored more goals." 

Personally I thought your analysis superior both in depth and accuracy. ?

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Rooney is quoted post match as saying... 

"I thought it was a very good performance. We created chances and should have scored more goals." 

Personally I thought your analysis superior both in depth and accuracy. ?

Dave in.....Dave in......Dave in ?

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How did he affect the game today, out of interest?

I only watched the last 30 minutes and I saw him create one clear chance for Lawrence and generally retain possession effectively and play several forward balls through the lines 

I was genuinely impressed and usually am with Bird 

3 minutes ago, Jram said:

I only watched the last 30 minutes and I saw him create one clear chance for Lawrence and generally retain possession effectively and play several forward balls through the lines 

I was genuinely impressed and usually am with Bird 

You missed 60 minutes by which time we were two down and had adopted a different style of play. But one chance in 30 minutes...yeah okay.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You missed 60 minutes by which time we were two down and had adopted a different style of play. But one chance in 30 minutes...yeah okay.

1 chance in 30 minutes, and it was a good chance, is pretty good to my mind

But that in isolation isn’t evidence he’s good... I’m generally just impressed with his quality in retaining possession and getting the ball forward 

20 minutes ago, Jram said:

1 chance in 30 minutes, and it was a good chance, is pretty good to my mind

But that in isolation isn’t evidence he’s good... I’m generally just impressed with his quality in retaining possession and getting the ball forward 

I watched him closely for the first 15 v Luton. In that time he only touched the ball four of five times. First - a backwards pass to wisdom. Second - a bit of an aimless hoof forwards. 3rd and 4th fairly weak attempts to hack clear. He didn’t make a tackle or an interception. He didn’t really show for the ball. In summary, it was all going on around him and he didn’t affect the game at all. ?

I was watching back the highlights of the Luton and Reading games on Quest and the commentator on the Luton game mentioned a fall out between Mel and Wayne?........When was this?..............Did such happen?.......

I also noticed Wycombe have Dreams as a shirt sponsor. Will there dream to stay up come true?

And will our sponsor 32 Red turn out to be short for 3rd or 2nd bottom Relegated Rooney Rams?

On a brighter note I enjoyed catching up with the first part of The Syndicate on the BBCiplayer this evening.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Really? I’d be interested to see those stats.

Stats per 90 and rank in the squad (excluding those to have played less than 500 minutes) and the others competing the top 5 in each category...

Tackles: 2.5 (1st)... Shinnie (2.4) Bielik (2.2), Sibley (2.1), Lawrence (2.0)

Interceptions: 1.4 (4th)... Bielik (2.1), Davies (1.8), Clarke (1.5), Shinnie (1.4)

One of the most frustrating games of the season. The manner of the goals we are conceding at times is worrying. Players just inexcusably switching off and getting punished for it.

Moving forward for the rest of this season, we have to play 4-4-2 and go more direct. When we do this, we look like scoring goals and have done so at times. Playing 3 in central midfield is not working as we simply don't dominate the ball enough to make it count in a way that our midfield players can affect the game going forward.

Marshall

Byrne   Wisdom   Mengi   Forsyth

Roberts   Bird   Shinnie   Jozwiak

CKR   Lawrence

Mengi wouldn't be anywhere near if Clarke or Edmundson fit. Toss up between Forsyth/Buchanan, but I would go with experience right now. Bird/Knight a toss up as well, however just think Knight needs a break. 

3 hours ago, Ramdale said:

One of the most frustrating games of the season. The manner of the goals we are conceding at times is worrying. Players just inexcusably switching off and getting punished for it.

Moving forward for the rest of this season, we have to play 4-4-2 and go more direct. When we do this, we look like scoring goals and have done so at times. Playing 3 in central midfield is not working as we simply don't dominate the ball enough to make it count in a way that our midfield players can affect the game going forward.

Marshall

Byrne   Wisdom   Mengi   Forsyth

Roberts   Bird   Shinnie   Jozwiak

CKR   Lawrence

Mengi wouldn't be anywhere near if Clarke or Edmundson fit. Toss up between Forsyth/Buchanan, but I would go with experience right now. Bird/Knight a toss up as well, however just think Knight needs a break. 

I'm in agreement here with us looking more of a threat with two up front. It is typical of the season to have a system that finally looks to be  working and then have the two main parts of that system injured. The clarke injury is definitely another blow. This aside the selection of the midfield three simply does not work.

Far too defensive minded  without being able to defend. I think it is too many players of a similar Ilk who then must think that they don't have to graft as hard because there are so many other players to do that. This theory may be passed on to the defense also. Shinnie to keep his place and the other two used as squad players. 

The thing about knight may need its own thread but what I can make out that since Rooney made him captain his performances have plummeted. He has gone from this box to box midfielder, linking play, aggressive in tackles, getting into scoring positions and being the most fouled player in the league to a player who lacks confidence, without any real sense of purpose in the team. 

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stats per 90 and rank in the squad (excluding those to have played less than 500 minutes) and the others competing the top 5 in each category...

Tackles: 2.5 (1st)... Shinnie (2.4) Bielik (2.2), Sibley (2.1), Lawrence (2.0)

Interceptions: 1.4 (4th)... Bielik (2.1), Davies (1.8), Clarke (1.5), Shinnie (1.4)

I’m surprised. 
where does knight rank? What about the full-backs? And how do those stats compare with other teams.

Archived