v Reading (a) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke (please) Forsyth

Shinnie 

Bird Sibley 

Joz CKR Lawrence 

the team above would score more goals because it is more attacking and there are more threats in the starting eleven.

beats sticking Sibley on the wing for 60 minutes before hooking him for not playing well out of position...

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I’m surprised. 
where does knight rank? What about the full-backs? And how do those stats compare with other teams.

Tackles: Buchanan (2.0, 6th), Byrne (1.6, 8th), Knight (1.6, 9th), Wisdom (0.8, 14th), Forsyth (0.5, 19th)

Interceptions: Buchanan (1.2, 7th)  Wisdom (1.1, 8th), Byrne (1.1, 9th), Forsyth (0.9, 10th), Knight (0.9, 11th)

As a team we rank 5th for tackles but 23rd for Interceptions. Bird is 41st for tackles per 90, 153rd for Interceptions.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I’m surprised. 
where does knight rank? What about the full-backs? And how do those stats compare with other teams.

Just shows the whole of them aren't good enough if others think Bird is affecting the game much. Most games just pass him by, I'd much rather see Watson in there.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As a team we rank 5th for tackles but 23rd for Interceptions. Bird is 41st for tackles per 90, 153rd for Interceptions.

So we're always having to tackle because the play isn't intercepted?

I don't care what the stats say our midfield isn't good enough, include Shinnie in that who yet again at crucial times got it wrong.

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stats per 90 and rank in the squad (excluding those to have played less than 500 minutes) and the others competing the top 5 in each category...

Tackles: 2.5 (1st)... Shinnie (2.4) Bielik (2.2), Sibley (2.1), Lawrence (2.0)

Interceptions: 1.4 (4th)... Bielik (2.1), Davies (1.8), Clarke (1.5), Shinnie (1.4)

Cheers GOC 

Pity he didn’t manage a tackle just before Reading scored their first. We seemed to have collectively dozed off. 

On 06/04/2021 at 09:00, RoyMac5 said:

Just shows the whole of them aren't good enough if others think Bird is affecting the game much. Most games just pass him by, I'd much rather see Watson in there.

What's the point of playing Watson in Bird's position? All he'll do is affect the game in our favour.

On 06/04/2021 at 19:30, RamNut said:

Pity he didn’t manage a tackle just before Reading scored their first. We seemed to have collectively dozed off. 

Made me think of Tom, the rough and the smooth. Kazim hits the post with a superb header off a wonderful cross from fozzie, Tom drives an absolute bullet just inside the post and it takes a world class save to stop us going 1-0 up. A different game. Then, he’s tracking back giving the impression of defending but really can’t be ar$ed to tackle. Result: goal at the other end 

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Made me think of Tom, the rough and the smooth. Kazim hits the post with a superb header off a wonderful cross from fozzie, Tom drives an absolute bullet just inside the post and it takes a world class save to stop us going 1-0 up. A different game. Then, he’s tracking back giving the impression of defending but really can’t be ar$ed to tackle. Result: goal at the other end 

Yeah, now I’ve seen the whole game....my impression was of a passive team that didn’t tackle, didn’t press, wasn’t awake. Bird and others were at fault for the first. Tom waved a leg for the second goal. Mengi and bird were ball watching for the third. Bird produced a couple of good moments - one through ball, one shot - but he seems to personify that lack of drive. Strange game - Poor old jason knight was scurrying around on his own to no effect because no-one else could be bothered to press. 

On 06/04/2021 at 09:02, RoyMac5 said:

So we're always having to tackle because the play isn't intercepted?

I don't care what the stats say our midfield isn't good enough, include Shinnie in that who yet again at crucial times got it wrong.

Yes Shinnie at times this season has been exceptional.

However, he just looks worn down by the constant workload he’s put under by the deficiencies of other players. Passes he was making a few weeks back without bother are going astray.

We don’t have a midfield player who can pass and receive on the wrong side of the defence. We are crying out for a Bryson figure.

Knight’s a Duracell bunny, Shinnie is a terrier and Bird just likes to sit back and stay safe. Sibley hasn’t had any kind of touch or drive.

It doesn’t say much for Baningime that he hasn’t been tried, given his competition.

On 06/04/2021 at 19:30, RamNut said:

You don't like Bird. We get it. But that goal wasn't Bird's fault. This arrows show who should be marking who.

image.png.b121f66484af0137971abc67bc86a6df.png

However, Eze passes inside (Bird's man), McDonald and Shinnie both follow the ball - Eze nips down the wing into space and Olise drops inside away from Shinnie.

image.png.6f76a21bf6608168d4528759cb3e60d1.png

The ball gets played back to Eze with McDonald and Shinnie both trying to trying to recover. Between them, they succeed in forcing Eze to play away from goal to a man on the edge. Sibley and Bird should be closing him down, with Knight picking up Olise on the edge

image.png.6868cb5452cfd853ac5d8656d0f2b63b.png

Bird and Sibley successfully close down the space, but Knight leaves Olise in too much space

image.png.e19eb319054f472b0c45b9e55245dcfd.png

Olise receives the ball, but Knight is too far off his man.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Yeah, now I’ve seen the whole game....my impression was of a passive team that didn’t tackle, didn’t press, wasn’t awake. Bird and others were at fault for the first. Tom waved a leg for the second goal.

Lawrence should have done better, but I feel there was a lack in communication between him and Forsyth as to who was picking up who.
Awful handling from Marshall to parry straight to their man. Wisdom doing what he does best - getting stuck in the mud - and left his man free to capitalise.

Mengi and bird were ball watching for the third.

Weak effort to jump by Kazim. Bird didn't follow his man. Mengi not quick enough to get to the ball first. Wisdom stuck in the mud again, as he didn't move between Kazim's weak challenge and the ball hitting the net.

Bird produced a couple of good moments - one through ball, one shot - but he seems to personify that lack of drive. Strange game - Poor old jason knight was scurrying around on his own to no effect because no-one else could be bothered to press. 

image.png

image.png

Archived