v Reading (a) Matchday Thread

Parsnip

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally wouldn’t advocate anything other than fairly minor changes after a win like that, but the injuries we picked up will somewhat force our hand a bit. So I’d actually use the necessity of a formation change to return us to a 3 at the back, which should hopefully give us a bit more of a solid base against an extremely good Reading side that we struggled to cope with at the start of the season:

Marshall

Wisdom Mengi Clarke

Byrne Bird Shinnie Buchanan

Sibley Lawrence

Kazim-Richards

Harsh on Forsyth who had a good game today, but he simply can’t play in a 3 at the back system, so Buchanan has come in in his place. Mengi replaces the injured Gregory to facilitate the change in formation. And with Waghorn injured as well, we’ve got no choice but to bring Kazim-Richards back into the side, even though I’m not convinced he’s fully recovered yet - he’s all we’ve got left!

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Normally wouldn’t advocate anything other than fairly minor changes after a win like that, but the injuries we picked up will somewhat force our hand a bit. So I’d actually use the necessity of a formation change to return us to a 3 at the back, which should hopefully give us a bit more of a solid base against an extremely good Reading side that we struggled to cope with at the start of the season:

Marshall

Wisdom Mengi Clarke

Byrne Bird Shinnie Buchanan

Sibley Lawrence

Kazim-Richards

Harsh on Forsyth who had a good game today, but he simply can’t play in a 3 at the back system, so Buchanan has come in in his place. Mengi replaces the injured Gregory to facilitate the change in formation. And with Waghorn injured as well, we’ve got no choice but to bring Kazim-Richards back into the side, even though I’m not convinced he’s fully recovered yet - he’s all we’ve got left!

Would agree with that starting XI & formation to make us more solid. Really important if we play 3 at the back to have Bird & Shinnie in front of them (not Knight & Shinnie) to get some quality into Sibley, Lawrence & Kazim otherwise they'll get isolated like at Stoke.

I'd replace Forsyth with Buchanan as much because of a quick turnaround of games as Buchanan being a more ambitious wing back.

Reading haven't picked up many points recently & are hanging on to 6th. They're likely to be anxious & very keen to score early. If we can frustrate them & carry some genuine menace on the counter, there's a result here for us.

I get the 3 at the back suggestion but I also think that for the last 7 games it might be better to train in one system for consistency and stick with that until we’re safe. Personally I’d be more tempted to play a 4-2-3-1 sticking with the back 4. 

Marshall

Byrne.      Wiz.               Clarke.        Foz

Bird             Shinnie

Jozwiak.             Sibley          Lawrence

CKR

I’d be surprised if joz doesn’t  start after playing so well for Poland this last couple of weeks. I can see joz, Lawrence and sibley playing around kazim. That could work very well. We might just sneak another good result against a top six team. 

I think the key to this one is the midfield battle, win that and then set the likes of Lawrence, Sibley and Joz away. If we lose it then we have a lot of defending to do and Joao just loves playing against the rams.  I am surprised at the number of decent midfield players in the Championship and that includes Reading.

Archived