The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

3 hours ago, Archied said:

I think you are spot on but only scratch the surface of the long term damage that’s ahead for us and our children as human beings if we don’t put a premium on getting back to normal , most who are happy with the changes now have already built they’re lives and relationships, it’s already a much harder world for youngsters to meet people/ partners and build lives and proper social skills than it was for us , we are quickly moving to a world where we not only have very little contact / interaction with other humans ,we are actually scared of being around others and I think we really don’t realise the long term damage to health and mental health we are heading for

All great points I agree with, but I guess we also have to accept the world has changed from when we were kids.

To most older people, not having had that social interaction would be unimaginable. But kids today are already adept at forming relationships with much less face to face time. 

We can't say our way was all good and the new way is all bad though. 

For example, our world was made for certain types of characters to excel: confident, outgoing, attractive for example.

Perhaps a more online world gives the less extroverted people a chance to shine? The workplace extrovert who everyone likes, so no one questions their productivity vs the boring and shy nerd, who whilst working at home, leads a design via chat that build an incredible new product.

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yes mate, we work in ambient temperatures mostly. A few work in chilled areas but not many and not permanently like in the meat factories.

I work in a meat environment and to be fair they've done a fantastic job of enforcing social distancing even in production areas. I don't go into the production areas much, but it's probably better enforced in the factory than in the offices. Strangely we've had notable outbreaks on all sites but the convenience sites probably have had more cases than the fresh (convenience is cooked, fresh is not so temperatures are kept at fridge levels). I think it follows the local area and local infection rate mostly, as the two fresh sites are in areas with lower rates in general. 

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

All great points I agree with, but I guess we also have to accept the world has changed from when we were kids.

To most older people, not having had that social interaction would be unimaginable. But kids today are already adept at forming relationships with much less face to face time. 

For example, our world was made for certain types of characters to excel: confident, outgoing, attractive for example.

Perhaps a more online world gives the less extroverted people a chance to shine? The workplace extrovert who everyone likes, so no one questions their productivity vs the boring and shy nerd, who whilst working at home, leads a design via chat that build an incredible new product.

Great point. I kept a diary as a 15 year old (still have it) and every day it was played footie or went out on bikes or did this or that with mates. We were always doing something outside together. It would have been very difficult for me in those days to have not had that.

Edited by TimRam

On 25/03/2021 at 19:53, Eddie said:

I'm hoping that staying at home - or at least wearing a mask - if you are in any way unwell (think head colds, bad coughs, winter snuffles etc) becomes the 'new normal'. 

I don’t agree and don’t see the need, however you can see behaviour changing in people. For example I was in the queue waiting to go into Tesco, I watched the 3 people in front of me all do the same thing. They all disinfected their trolly then put on the hand sanitizer. Now I know that’s normal now, but all 3 of them were north of 65, so I can only assume they have had a least one vaccination. So even though protected they still took the extra precautions. I think many will still carry on with these practices long after we return to normal, maybe including as you hope wearing a mask when they are unwell.  

36 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I don’t agree and don’t see the need, however you can see behaviour changing in people. For example I was in the queue waiting to go into Tesco, I watched the 3 people in front of me all do the same thing. They all disinfected their trolly then put on the hand sanitizer. Now I know that’s normal now, but all 3 of them were north of 65, so I can only assume they have had a least one vaccination. So even though protected they still took the extra precautions. I think many will still carry on with these practices long after we return to normal, maybe including as you hope wearing a mask when they are unwell.  

Will be interesting seeing next years flu/cold graphs.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Well, that sounds like a good thing to me and is very different to those that say older people aren't adhering to the rules now they've been vaccinated.

In doing these things we are hopefully protecting those younger people who haven't been vaccinated yet.

48 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, that sounds like a good thing to me and is very different to those that say older people aren't adhering to the rules now they've been vaccinated.

In doing these things we are hopefully protecting those younger people who haven't been vaccinated yet.

It's a few seconds inconvenience to do such things, doesn't seem like a great deal to ask.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

18 minutes ago, Rev said:

It's a few seconds inconvenience to do such things, doesn't seem like a great deal to ask.

Agree it’s a good thing to do and not much to ask, but not something we did before and something I thought would just phase out. However maybe people will carry on these practices even when the treat of Covid causing us serious harm is a distant memory.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

So you are basically saying that if you are ill and contagious, you don't care about giving it to somebody else - or it's up to everybody else to avoid your snot?

I don't believe you. I think you disagreed with me because it was me.

Edited by Eddie

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So you are basically saying that if you are ill and contagious, you don't care about giving it to somebody else - or it's up to everybody else to avoid your snot?

I don't believe you. I think you disagreed with me because it was me.

Not at all, why if you have a cold should you need to wear a mask? We never have before so why now? Is that not just totally over the top? Also shouldn’t we be exposed to these bugs to build our own immune systems? 

52 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not at all, why if you have a cold should you need to wear a mask? We never have before so why now? Is that not just totally over the top? Also shouldn’t we be exposed to these bugs to build our own immune systems? 

I think that I might have mentioned before how commonplace it is for Asian people to wear masks out and about during flu seasons. They have had more experiences of various viruses than us. 

I find it a bit inconvenient as I wear specs and don't find the anti steam sprays work well, but I think that I will keep doing it in crowded places for the foreseeable future.

I had pneumonia a couple of years ago from a relatively harmless virus and was ill for several months. If wearing a mask helps me to prevent a recurrence of that, I am all for it.

And hopefully helps me to stop spreading germs as well. 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think that I might have mentioned before how commonplace it is for Asian people to wear masks out and about during flu seasons. They have had more experiences of various viruses than us. 

I find it a bit inconvenient as I wear specs and don't find the anti steam sprays work well, but I think that I will keep doing it in crowded places for the foreseeable future.

I had pneumonia a couple of years ago from a relatively harmless virus and was ill for several months. If wearing a mask helps me to prevent a recurrence of that, I am all for it.

And hopefully helps me to stop spreading germs as well. 

I agree it’s no inconvenience to wear one, doesn’t bother me at all. However I just don’t see the need long term for it, would people really think “ I’ve got a sniffle i’ll pop my mask on when I go out”. I’m sure some will who have been effected by the recent issues or have been scared into it by the mass hysteria driven by the MSM but in the main I don’t think there will be a requirement for them ( in my opinion anyway) 

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I agree it’s no inconvenience to wear one, doesn’t bother me at all. However I just don’t see the need long term for it, would people really think “ I’ve got a sniffle i’ll pop my mask on when I go out”. I’m sure some will who have been effected by the recent issues or have been scared into it by the mass hysteria driven by the MSM but in the main I don’t think there will be a requirement for them ( in my opinion anyway) 

I think it should be a personal choice, tbh, but I wouldn't mind at all.

19 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yep , all about balance , the worry is things going too far the other way

9 hours ago, angieram said:

I think it should be a personal choice, tbh, but I wouldn't mind at all.

Imagine a cold with a runny nose ,,, pretty much impossible to wear a mask I reckon , without us being exposed regularly to these kind of thing s how long before the common cold becomes very serious to us if we catch it ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Imagine a cold with a runny nose ,,, pretty much impossible to wear a mask I reckon , without us being exposed regularly to these kind of thing s how long before the common cold becomes very serious to us if we catch it ??‍♂️

The problem is going to always be those who "Assume it's a cold".

I would prefer the mentality of "Assume it's not" - certainly for the next year or so.

Yes it's great compared to how the  majority of Europe are doing but it does not mean much if we still have these ducking restrictions in place after a year of them and will have future lockdowns any time some other flu comes around or we have another variant that wasn't accounted for and the vaccines became redundant.