The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

6 hours ago, 1of4 said:

If the opinions being aired are on the effectiveness of the vaccination, then I'd have thought the vaccination status of a poster is very relevant

Why?

I looked at the study linked and read what it actually said.

What my vaccination status is, what my age is, what my sexuality is, etc is nobodies business but my own.

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes, Derby. It's dropped off drastically over the last couple of weeks from 80% wearing to 80% not wearing, at a guess. On Sunday, we were the only mask-wearers on the bus to Derby and the subsequent bus to Ashbourne.

I'm still wearing a mask on public transport and in shops, but you're right - since it stopped being policed people have largely given up, and I think there is almost an embarrassment factor now when you're one of the few wearing one.

If anyone gives you grief for it though, just lower your mask and tell them you are wearing it for their benefit as your wife has covid, you don't feel well and you're on you're way to get tested ?

9 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I have been to two indoor gigs in the last couple of weeks. Relatively small venues, 200-300 attendees at both. Nobody wearing masks including myself. I recognise it a risk, but taken the view that I am vaccinated and that life is for the living. Of all things in these COVID times live music is what I have missed most. 

Quite right.

My dad (double jabbed & long time lurker on here) currently has Covid, which we think he must have picked up at Pride Park last Wednesday. He's had flu symptoms since Saturday night but is now getting better. He's more vulnerable than I am, so for me it has just underlined it that I'm not prepared to live in fear any more. Imperfect logic maybe but there you are.

I very rarely wear a mask nowadays but do occasionally take a test - most recently last night, having had a non-typical headache (for me) all day, and wanting to go to the gym.

Get well soon, Pop

15 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Think it's clear at this point that the vaccine has a great impact at preventing serious illness, death and in many cases infection. 

It wanes after a few months but not as much on death and illness. I think a booster seems like a good idea for everyone... But I imagine it's limited returns after that. I suppose it'll be incorporated in to the flu jab and a combination of inherited protection from infection and/or vaccination will over time reduce the symptoms and severity of infection. 

Australia and NZ seem to ridding themselves of the covid zero approach as vaccination levels increase... Cases in Victoria now seem to be roughly the same as in London and South East. 

NZ still have quite strict rules but very low infections.. I am interested in how their government will manage their transition from covid zero. I suspect NZ and the least impacted states of Australia have the worst of their pandemic to come.

Your right about transitioning out of covid zero. In Qld we have not had one death so far this year (7 total) but as the vaccinations rates close in on the 80% mark we know that our rates will take off in the next couple of months. As for the covid/flu combined shot, the misses is currently doing a clinical trial combining Novafax and the flu shot.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm still wearing a mask on public transport and in shops, but you're right - since it stopped being policed people have largely given up, and I think there is almost an embarrassment factor now when you're one of the few wearing one.

If anyone gives you grief for it though, just lower your mask and tell them you are wearing it for their benefit as your wife has covid, you don't feel well and you're on you're way to get tested ?

Can’t see why you would feel embarrassed wearing one , it’s your choice?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Quite right.

My dad (double jabbed & long time lurker on here) currently has Covid, which we think he must have picked up at Pride Park last Wednesday. He's had flu symptoms since Saturday night but is now getting better. He's more vulnerable than I am, so for me it has just underlined it that I'm not prepared to live in fear any more. Imperfect logic maybe but there you are.

I very rarely wear a mask nowadays but do occasionally take a test - most recently last night, having had a non-typical headache (for me) all day, and wanting to go to the gym.

Get well soon, Pop

Sorry to read that. That's 3 or 4 people now who have said here that suspect that they or theirs picked up COVID-19 attending a recent football match at Pride Park. As somebody in the 'extremely vulnerable' group, there is no way that wild horses will drag me back, I'm afraid, even though I'm sure that the club desperately needs every penny. That's not how I want it to be, and it's not just my own decision - the Memsahib and I have discussed this issue several times recently. 

@i-Ram mentioned that he loves live music and attends when he can. So do I, and we have been to 3 live gigs recently, but equally there were two that we decided at the last minute not to attend because the venues were too crowded so we went to a quiet pub instead. We've even passed on catching a bus because it was too crowded, people standing and nobody - not a single one from what we could see - wearing any masks at all.

I suspect that one or two cynics will find a degree of amusement in this post, or trot out their usual 'get busy living' trope, but believe me, it's a darned sight easier said than done if a large proportion of society seemingly no longer care if they pass this terrible virus on to somebody they could be culpable in killing, quite unknowingly.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sorry to read that. That's 3 or 4 people now who have said here that suspect that they or theirs picked up COVID-19 attending a recent football match at Pride Park. As somebody in the 'extremely vulnerable' group, there is no way that wild horses will drag me back, I'm afraid, even though I'm sure that the club desperately needs every penny. That's not how I want it to be, and it's not just my own decision - the Memsahib and I have discussed this issue several times recently. 

@i-Ram mentioned that he loves live music and attends when he can. So do I, and we have been to 3 live gigs recently, but equally there were two that we decided at the last minute not to attend because the venues were too crowded so we went to a quiet pub instead. We've even passed on catching a bus because it was too crowded, people standing and nobody - not a single one from what we could see - wearing any masks at all.

I suspect that one or two cynics will find a degree of amusement in this post, or trot out their usual 'get busy living' trope, but believe me, it's a darned sight easier said than done if a large proportion of society seemingly no longer care if they pass this terrible virus on to somebody they could be culpable in killing, quite unknowingly.

Went to the Stoke game (South stand). Popped into a couple different crowded pubs and stood in the concourse.
Got tested a few days later as I was about to go on holiday.
Went to restaurants, the beach, walked down busy streets etc whilst in Portugal.
Tested before coming back.
Went to the Swansea game (South stand). Popped into a couple different crowded pubs and stood in the concourse.
Flagged up that I had been near someone who tested positive when on holiday or on the flight. So another test.

Still haven't tested positive.

In my experience most people are no longer wearing masks in shops, buses etc. I'm currently running my Mum to hospital daily for radiotherapy and the vast majority of people in the hospital are wearing masks, including the teens / 20 somethings, however noticeably those that aren't are pretty evenly split between men is their 30s and people over 70.  Having also been to the local shopping centre at the weekend, it was very noticeable that very few wore masks - only one shop were trying to enforce mask wearing (H&M) but even then several shoppers didn't.

COVID remains all round us, in my area (Aylesbury Vale) it's reported that there are some 3457 active cases - that's from a population of around 500K.  

I've been double jabbed although my 2nd one was back in May.  I've also recently had my annual flu jab. I must confess to becoming much more ambivalent to it and even though I do still wear a mask in some places I'm more often than not going without and I think that's more an acceptance on my part that it's here to stay, like flu.  I will however soon recommence a weekly commute to London, but have already decided I will be putting a mask on for the landline, and underground train journeys.  As a aside, as a family we do also take twice weekly rapid anti-gen tests (my daughter has to for secondary school anyway) so I do have some back-up in place to check.  If I did test positive, I would of course follow the isolation rules.  

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Actually I find it very sad that you don’t feel able to enjoy your life and live it to the full especially as at the time of life both you and I to a slightly lesser degree are at,

you would have to be a moron to take any pleasure from someone feeling that way ?‍♂️
this advice is not flippant or smart ass , we none of us know how long we have especially at our age , keep your mask on but get out and live , enjoy the fruits of a lifetimes working 

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Actually I find it very sad that you don’t feel able to enjoy your life and live it to the full especially as at the time of life both you and I to a slightly lesser degree are at,

you would have to be a moron to take any pleasure from someone feeling that way ?‍♂️
this advice is not flippant or smart ass , we none of us know how long we have especially at our age , keep your mask on but get out and live , enjoy the fruits of a lifetimes working 

I have always fully endorsed wearing a mask at all times in crowded, confined areas - not for self-protection but to stop me passing the virus on to others on the off-chance that I have contracted it myself. I just feel that I'm banging my head against a brick wall - it's so frustrating being in a minority that is shrinking alarmingly quickly.

I do enjoy much of my life - but when it comes to a choice between a crowded 10/10 venue or a less crowded 8/10, I will err on the side of caution. Luckily, in many instances, my favoured choice of venue is not Joe Public's favoured one.

Edited by Eddie

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I have always fully endorsed wearing a mask at all times in crowded, confined areas - not for self-protection but to stop me passing the virus on to others on the off-chance that I have contracted it myself. I just feel that I'm banging my head against a brick wall - it's so frustrating being in a minority that is shrinking alarmingly quickly.

If the majority of people are not choosing to wear them then I’m pretty certain they really don’t want or expect you or anybody else to take responsibility for stopping them have the chance of catching the virus or the very very tiny chance the virus will be fatal or serious for them , honestly get on with enjoying your life with wife and family in the best way you can within the bounds of keeping yourself safe with your medical status ,,, if you were running round without a mask when mandated or the majority were choosing to wear them then I could see your thinking but your not ,, by all means wear your mask but get out and live your life , it’s all too short ,we are already two years into covid ,don’t miss any more if you can help it

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'd say some people were so desperate to prove the scientists wrong that they promoted dangerous pseudo medicine. 

Still, it exercised a few more brain cells to come up with than injecting disinfectant

FWIW that article is a rehash of old information and the authors/BBC made no comment about the several large clinical trials that are currently underway that will provide more conclusive evidence. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/09/scicheck-ongoing-clinical-trials-will-decide-whether-or-not-ivermectin-is-safe-effective-for-covid-19/

The whole politicization of virtually everything to do with covid pretty much sums us up as a society now-a-days.

43 minutes ago, maxjam said:

FWIW that article is a rehash of old information and the authors/BBC made no comment about the several large clinical trials that are currently underway that will provide more conclusive evidence. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/09/scicheck-ongoing-clinical-trials-will-decide-whether-or-not-ivermectin-is-safe-effective-for-covid-19/

The whole politicization of virtually everything to do with covid pretty much sums us up as a society now-a-days.

I've read the BBC article twice now and I can't really see what is being politicised? 

55 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I've read the BBC article twice now and I can't really see what is being politicised? 

With the BBC it is often what they don't report in as much as what they do.

The article interweaves flawed studies, anti-vaxxers and livestock ivermectin to reach the conclusion they want - an anecdotal ending about an unnamed unvaccinated person dying from covid having taken Ivermectin. 

Whatever the better quality studies prove doesn't really bother me.  If its helps, great.  If it doesn't thats shame, another weapon in the fight against covid would have helped.  The fact that both sides of the argument have already made up their minds however indicate where we are as a society. 

Other than one-sided articles such as this, talk of potential alternative treatments is banned or heavily censored both in the media and on social media.  Follow approved Govt/media narrative or risk being side-lined.  Narrow-minded thinking will almost certainly lead us down intellectual cul-de-sacs and missed opportunities. 

And talking about stuff the BBC doesn't want you to know about, the latest Project Veritas Pfizer stuff is interesting.   Thats the sort of journalism they were famed for when I was growing up...

My wife and I like most of the population want to return to a pre covid life. We like many others are getting out and about more including attending Pride Park. But feel even after being vaccinated there's a need to carry on taking precautions.  We both still wear our masks in shops, on public transport etc. and social distance where possible, not the full 6ft but as much as practical.

As we attempt to get back to normality we are now entering premises that are becoming more crowded, but we would fell more comfortable doing so if everyone was still wearing a mask.

I don't understand the reluctance of something as simple as wearing a mask if it means more people can start to enjoy their lives again. 

After seeing the resent figures that show an increase in the number of covid cases. I wouldn't like to see a call for a return to the restrictions we had earlier, but a return to mandatory mask wearing would seem a prudent move. At least until the percentage of people vaccinated is higher.