The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Interesting - official study that shows vaccination does reduce chances of infection AND chances of transmission considerably

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.28.21264260v1

So hopefully no more of this "what's the point of getting vaccinated if you can still catch it and pass it on?" guff from people

You think? 

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Interesting - official study that shows vaccination does reduce chances of infection AND chances of transmission considerably

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.28.21264260v1

So hopefully no more of this "what's the point of getting vaccinated if you can still catch it and pass it on?" guff from people

My reading of it is the opposite and any reduction in transmission is only temporary.

'Transmission reductions declined over time since second vaccination, for Delta reaching similar levels to unvaccinated individuals by 12 weeks'

It is basically advocating for regular booster jabs.

15 hours ago, maxjam said:

My reading of it is the opposite and any reduction in transmission is only temporary.

'Transmission reductions declined over time since second vaccination, for Delta reaching similar levels to unvaccinated individuals by 12 weeks'

It is basically advocating for regular booster jabs.

Whatever - it  still invalidates the excuse that it makes no difference to infection/transmission

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Whatever - it  still invalidates the excuse that it makes no difference to infection/transmission

Really?

It takes 2 weeks to kick in and by week 12 its at similar levels to unvaccinated with respect to transmission.  For 2 jabs you're getting 10 weeks in which you are a less infectious than someone that hasn't had the jab.  Unless you are literally having a jab every 3 months there is no difference in how infectious you are. 

24 minutes ago, maxjam said:

It takes 2 weeks to kick in and by week 12 its at similar levels to unvaccinated with respect to transmission.  For 2 jabs you're getting 10 weeks in which you are a less infectious than someone that hasn't had the jab

45 million people double-jabbed in the UK

Between us that's 450 million weeks of people being less infectious - in other words the virus is being supressed

As opposed to if no one had been vaccinated when it would be zero weeks.

No brainer

There are still reasons for not taking the vaccine that I won't argue with but this is no longer one of them

16 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

45 million people double-jabbed in the UK

Between us that's 450 million weeks of people being less infectious - in other words the virus is being supressed

As opposed to if no one had been vaccinated when it would be zero weeks.

No brainer

There are still reasons for not taking the vaccine that I won't argue with but this is no longer one of them

The problem with this argument is that is doesn't take into account that people have their jabs at different times. 

Covid is still rampant in the community and just as you entering your 10 week golden period others are coming out of it and 10 weeks of some people being less infectious than others doesn't really achieve anything other than kicking the problem down the road a bit - which is what Australia and New Zealand are experiencing now.

Sooner or later everyone will be 12 weeks passed their second jab, covid will still be around and any suppression will have only been temporary. 

27 minutes ago, maxjam said:

The problem with this argument is that is doesn't take into account that people have their jabs at different times. 

Covid is still rampant in the community and just as you entering your 10 week golden period others are coming out of it and 10 weeks of some people being less infectious than others doesn't really achieve anything other than kicking the problem down the road a bit - which is what Australia and New Zealand are experiencing now.

Sooner or later everyone will be 12 weeks passed their second jab, covid will still be around and any suppression will have only been temporary. 

hence boosters

Anyway - none of that changes the argument that vaccinations DO suppress the virus (regardless of how long that suppression lasts)

That was the only point I was trying to make. 

This is interesting, and news to me - not sure if it affects anyone here, but in the UK we are only allowing 12-18 year olds one does of the vaccine

Germany (and possibly other EU countries? Not checked) do not consider this to be "fully vaccinated" and therefore you can't enter the country

So if you planned to have a holiday in Germany with your kids, and they are 12-18 you are screwed

image.png.68922c13ba18f488c5fea85132e2e20a.png

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

This is interesting, and news to me - not sure if it affects anyone here, but in the UK we are only allowing 12-18 year olds one does of the vaccine

Germany (and possibly other EU countries? Not checked) do not consider this to be "fully vaccinated" and therefore you can't enter the country

So if you planned to have a holiday in Germany with your kids, and they are 12-18 you are screwed

image.png.68922c13ba18f488c5fea85132e2e20a.png

Deemed fully vaccinated when had two doses , soon to be 3 doses ? Then 4 ,then 5 , then 6 , then 

33 minutes ago, sage said:

It seems we are having more weekly cases than France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Switzerland. Luxembourg, Belgium and Netherlands put together,

World leading. 

Hardly surprising, given that we have, to all intents and purposes resumed normal life, and from what I'm told most other European countries still retain some rules on masks/sanitation.

Most important figures are deaths/hospitalisations - are these tracking at the same rate or differently?

33 minutes ago, sage said:

It seems we are having more weekly cases than France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Switzerland. Luxembourg, Belgium and Netherlands put together,

World leading. 

To add some context...

Tests done, week 38:
UK - 7.3m
France - 3.2m
Austria - 3.2m
Italy - 2m
Germany - 960k
Spain - 605k
Netherlands - 496k
Portugal - 370k
Belgium - 310k
Luxembourg - 13k

UK vs EU = 7.3m vs 11.2m

Cases, week 38:
UK - 238k
Germany - 54k
France - 39k
Italy - 24k
Spain - 16k
Belgium - 14k
Netherlands - 12k
Austria - 12k
Portugal - 5k
Luxembourg - 600

UK vs EU = 238k vs 177k

17 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Hardly surprising, given that we have, to all intents and purposes resumed normal life, and from what I'm told most other European countries still retain some rules on masks/sanitation.

Most important figures are deaths/hospitalisations - are these tracking at the same rate or differently?

Germany death rate highest of the rest. About 75% less  per capita 

Think it's clear at this point that the vaccine has a great impact at preventing serious illness, death and in many cases infection. 

It wanes after a few months but not as much on death and illness. I think a booster seems like a good idea for everyone... But I imagine it's limited returns after that. I suppose it'll be incorporated in to the flu jab and a combination of inherited protection from infection and/or vaccination will over time reduce the symptoms and severity of infection. 

Australia and NZ seem to ridding themselves of the covid zero approach as vaccination levels increase... Cases in Victoria now seem to be roughly the same as in London and South East. 

NZ still have quite strict rules but very low infections.. I am interested in how their government will manage their transition from covid zero. I suspect NZ and the least impacted states of Australia have the worst of their pandemic to come.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Not sure what you want. Lockdown?

If not, what's your point? 

ooooh Bit defensive aren't we? 

Perhaps it's an indication we could have done something different. Perhaps shown some of the caution many on here wanted.

Perhaps stuck with masks on public transport. Maybe not sent kids back to school for 1 day in January, relaxed school rules 1 week before the 6 week hols. offered teens vaccines 3 weeks before school returned not 3 weeks after. Just little things.

There is plenty of scope between lockdown and the poo show we have now.