The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

On 07/07/2021 at 12:53, TexasRam said:

Do you know I owe you an apology, I skimmed read it, and read it as Hospital’s  ?……..

yep I absolutely agree most hospitality staff are young folk, even the not so cool and hip places I frequent. 

Not just me then ?

Light at the end of the tunell?

For the last 5 or so weeks, since Delta variant took hold, infections have been rising at about 70% a week. But over the past week that figure has been dropping day by day.

Today the figure is 30% week on week growth.

So infections are still increasing, but at about half the rate they were last week.

Maybe, just maybe, the vaccination rate is getting to the point where the virus is struggling to find new people to infect.

Fingers crossed we are in the end game.

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

For the last 5 or so weeks, since Delta variant took hold, infections have been rising at about 70% a week. But over the past week that figure has been dropping day by day.

So infections are still increasing, but at about half the rate they were last week.

Maybe, just maybe, the vaccination rate is getting to the point where the virus is struggling to find new people to infect.

image.png.15bd5cc3d8e4d3d96811d3551a91d7cf.png

Where do your stats come from, that was ONS and the Beeb?

16 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Albeit a frustratingly crappy end game

Another bubble at school has closed (that's two this week) - with people mixing more and more each day as July 19th approaches, and the delta variant apparently spreading so easily, it feels like we're going to see huge amounts of contacts being told to isolate, and that will disrupt lives just as much as ever

Anyone planning to have a holiday before they drop the isolation rules (Aug 19th is it?) must be dreading that they will get the ping and not be able to go. I know I am ?

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Albeit a frustratingly crappy end game

Another bubble at school has closed (that's two this week) - with people mixing more and more each day as July 19th approaches, and the delta variant apparently spreading so easily, it feels like we're going to see huge amounts of contacts being told to isolate, and that will disrupt lives just as much as ever

Anyone planning to have a holiday before they drop the isolation rules (Aug 19th is it?) must be dreading that they will get the ping and not be able to go. I know I am ?

Why not just delete the app then?

If you are already double jabbed there is absolutely nothing that will change between now and 19th August, so why rely on someone else to tell you if you are safe or not?

38 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why not just delete the app then?

If you are already double jabbed there is absolutely nothing that will change between now and 19th August, so why rely on someone else to tell you if you are safe or not?

Venues still require check in, you can delete the app and do a paper one  but it just adds extra hassle.

Edited by Coconut

52 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Venues still require check in, you can delete the app and do a paper one  but it just adds extra hassle.

Its only hospitality venues that are still required to do that by law, and that will be scrapped as of next Monday. From personal experience I would say there are plenty of venues that have now started operating outside of the law anyway.

31 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Got pinged by the app today & told to isolate for 3 days instead of 10, so the exposure must have been when I went out for a few beers in Lincoln a week ago. 

Double jabbed and negative lateral flow result this afternoon. 

Isolating? Bugger that. 

Granny killa!

I know the track and trace app isn't great, but look, it hardly cost anything right?

I really want to know how it's possible to spend so much on something that looks fairly basic.

It's budget is 37 billion over 2 years.

If the people working on it were being paid a ridiculous salary of 250k per year, or 500k over 2 years, then they could afford to employ 74,000 people on that salary.

Can anyone see any reason why the costs are so high? Just need to keep a record of devices a person has been close too via blutooth with a few metrics like time and distance.

Then when one of those devices links to a positive test, run a model to decide who to ping.

37 billion! As this government report says, the annual budget for transport is 22 billion. Building and repairing transport infrastructure seems like it would be a pretty expensive business. Building an app like this seems trivial in comparison.

https://committees.parliament.uk/work/906/covid19-test-track-and-trace-part-1/news/150988/unimaginable-cost-of-test-trace-failed-to-deliver-central-promise-of-averting-another-lockdown/

Is this the biggest scandal of Covid?

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Got pinged by the app today & told to isolate for 3 days instead of 10, so the exposure must have been when I went out for a few beers in Lincoln a week ago. 

Double jabbed and negative lateral flow result this afternoon. 

Isolating? Bugger that. 

I'm coming to the same conclusion. Deleting the app feels wrong, as I'd want to know so i can do lateral flows to be on the safe side, and manage my own risk about who I see and when

It's literally all I've had to look forward to all year - 2 weeks away in a flippin English village on the coast. I will lose my mind if that gets taken away from me at this point

35 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm coming to the same conclusion. Deleting the app feels wrong, as I'd want to know so i can do lateral flows to be on the safe side, and manage my own risk about who I see and when

It's literally all I've had to look forward to all year - 2 weeks away in a flippin English village on the coast. I will lose my mind if that gets taken away from me at this point

Why do you need the app to do any of the above?

On 05/07/2021 at 10:42, Archied said:

Covid is very very much like colds and bugs ,in fact it’s from the same family as the common cold,

we are robust creatures who build our immunity s to illness through catching stuff ,, if we go down the route you propose we will become very very fragile and many many things ( not just covid ) will become dangerous and killers , but hey just ignore everything that science and medicine has learnt over hundreds of years , the immune system of humans is a fantastic piece of kit ,your kind of thinking will ultimately destroy it and us

You say that 'We are very robust creatures who build our immunity through catching stuff...' 

If I catch Covid I will probably be ok, despite being middle-aged. If I contract the virus and pass it on (unknowingly) to my elderly mum she might die. I know that there is a limited chance of this happening as we have all been vaccinated, but the chance is still there and I will do anything to protect her.

My father in law has just come out of hospital after having a second operation for lung cancer in 4 years. Again, we will take all possible precautions to keep him safe. This includes wearing a face mask whenever in close contact with others, especially in the supermarket. It won't stop us from going on long walks in the countryside, distancing in restaurants etc. But it means that we will be extra careful whilst not fully isolating. We have to get on with our lives but we have to be ultra careful when we are with vulnerable members of our families. The immune system is a wonderful piece of kit as you say, but it is very fragile inthe elderly and those suffering from cancer. My mum and my father in law are far from being robust creatures.

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

We were at Imperial war museum at Duxford a couple of weeks ago. On the way in, there's a guy telling you to check in with the app, and pointing to the QR thingy. 

Neither of us have ever had the app, so basically just got phone out and took a picture of the notice. 

I do have the standard NHS app, which has your vaccinated record on etc, but not the trace one. Mrs is a teacher , and was told from the start by her boss, not to download it. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Granny killa!

I know the track and trace app isn't great, but look, it hardly cost anything right?

I really want to know how it's possible to spend so much on something that looks fairly basic.

It's budget is 37 billion over 2 years.

If the people working on it were being paid a ridiculous salary of 250k per year, or 500k over 2 years, then they could afford to employ 74,000 people on that salary.

Can anyone see any reason why the costs are so high? Just need to keep a record of devices a person has been close too via blutooth with a few metrics like time and distance.

Then when one of those devices links to a positive test, run a model to decide who to ping.

37 billion! As this government report says, the annual budget for transport is 22 billion. Building and repairing transport infrastructure seems like it would be a pretty expensive business. Building an app like this seems trivial in comparison.

https://committees.parliament.uk/work/906/covid19-test-track-and-trace-part-1/news/150988/unimaginable-cost-of-test-trace-failed-to-deliver-central-promise-of-averting-another-lockdown/

Is this the biggest scandal of Covid?

Don’t get me wrong it’s a hell of a lot of money but it does include the hundreds of thousands of tests a day plus all the people and equipment to do it. It’s not like it’s just the app.