The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Just one little example of NHS pressures. My great niece, who is a nurse, caught covid, got to day 9 of her 10 days isolation when her daughter tested positive, so now she has to start another 10 days because them's the NHS rules. (She works in a paediateic ICU.) So 19 days away from the workplace. 

She's young and fine in herself, but there doesn't need to be many of those examples for the NHS to be on its knees.

The impact just isn't on the elderly and vulnerable. It's about keeping things operational.

I'm at the point now, and have been for a while, where I think just let what happens happen.

There are jabs available (that work), there are masks (that work), there is treatment (that works), there are tests to advise you whether you can be around people safely or not, there are stats about the risk you are open to should you not use these tools. And what's great is that in this country these things are available to all. Everyone is invited, regardless of your opinion. We should work further to make them available to all internationally.

That is plenty that we didn't have at the start of the pandemic and it's plenty more than we have against many illnesses and diseases that people don't worry about.

Use as many of these tools as you see fit for your personal situation. There'll be no judgement from me because I don't know your story or your reasons.

I understand that there’s a small percentage of people that probably won't feel safe to continue with their lives in the same manner as they did before the pandemic, even with all these tools available and that absolutely sucks, they have my every sympathy and I hope they can get the support they need and that progress on better vaccines, better masks, better treatment continues so that they can live their lives as freely as the majority. But enough has been sacrificed by too many people already and it cannot continue.

If this sounds heartless to anyone who's lost someone from Covid, who thinks any measure would be appropriate and justified if it could save just one life, I apologise, it's just my take, shaped by my experience of the last two years.

7 hours ago, Archied said:

I agree with all the above ,

Its very worrying though as it’s another step towards stirring hate for anyone who doesn’t want the vaccine, now we are seeing the numbers show that the vaccinated are catching and spreading the virus too we’ve moved on to anti vaxxers actively stopping those that want the vaccine from being able to get it , 

in the climate that’s been created I really fear for where things are going 

Agree it's not exactly helpful but I think 'stirring hate' is a stretch. It's the actions of those who made the bookings who have created the issue but as you have pointed out, some will tar all with the same brush.  

30 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I'm at the point now, and have been for a while, where I think just let what happens happen.

There are jabs available (that work), there are masks (that work), there is treatment (that works), there are tests to advise you whether you can be around people safely or not, there are stats about the risk you are open to should you not use these tools. And what's great is that in this country these things are available to all. Everyone is invited, regardless of your opinion. We should work further to make them available to all internationally.

That is plenty that we didn't have at the start of the pandemic and it's plenty more than we have against many illnesses and diseases that people don't worry about.

Use as many of these tools as you see fit for your personal situation. There'll be no judgement from me because I don't know your story or your reasons.

I understand that there’s a small percentage of people that probably won't feel safe to continue with their lives in the same manner as they did before the pandemic, even with all these tools available and that absolutely sucks, they have my every sympathy and I hope they can get the support they need and that progress on better vaccines, better masks, better treatment continues so that they can live their lives as freely as the majority. But enough has been sacrificed by too many people already and it cannot continue.

If this sounds heartless to anyone who's lost someone from Covid, who thinks any measure would be appropriate and justified if it could save just one life, I apologise, it's just my take, shaped by my experience of the last two years.

Absolutely. The sooner we get to this point, the sooner we can stop the madness of what is happening everywhere in life.

Honestly - this Omicron will be the same as the Flu. It's probably less severe than the Flu based on early figures. 

When will we wake up as a Nation and say "We didn't have any restrictions for the Flu so why do we for Omicrom".

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Don’t know how true it is but I have seen stats saying 1/3 of Londoners have not taken up the vaccine 

Yep, this appears to be the case. Very broad mix of races and cultures really doesn't help matters and worse still, there are so many who commute for work, so may unwittingly be taking the virus home with them.

Fortunately, it does appear that Omicron is less likely to cause serious issues than earlier variants, so you'd hope that the Government might reflect on this before enforcing further kneejerk measures on an already Covid-exhausted nation. It's an incredibly difficult call, but unless we see a marked increase in fatalities, perhaps between Omicron and lockdown, the former is the lesser of two evils.

Brace yourselves we’ll be next and any revenue we have coming through the gates will be gone ?

In Scotland, Football matches and other outdoor events will be limited to 500 people from December 26th

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Brace yourselves we’ll be next and any revenue we have coming through the gates will be gone ?

In Scotland, Football matches and other outdoor events will be limited to 500 people from December 26th

I'd love to know the science behind the 500 number.

Just a completely random figure plucked out of thin air.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd love to know the science behind the 500 number.

Just a completely random figure plucked out of thin air.

Yeh, numbers like that always make me wonder.

They should have made it 509 and most people would be thinking it was carefully calculated and they should take notice.

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Did I say omicron exclusively? As for blame culture, stop being such a victim......

I was responding to a post that said the unvaccinated weren't responsible for the never-ending cycle of lockdowns and restrictions. There is a clearly defined link between the seriousness of the symptoms people experience if they are vaccinated compared to those that aren't - the unvaccinated suffer worse symptoms and need more help - and that means the NHS has to step in and use more of their resources - with a knock on effect to the treatment of other 'non-Covid' patients and the overall capacity of the health service to look after the population. That's why the government (and the opposition) are pushing vaccinations and that's why they decide to re-introduce tougher restriction and/or lockdowns - that's nothing to do with your conspiracy theories however much you'd like to deflect the blame.....

The more people that get vaccinated and have boosters, the less justification there is for further restrictions to be imposed - it's a pretty simple equation that most folk can comprehend without needing it spelling out in words of one syllable.....

?????, really , it was you playing the victim, victim of the unvaccinated/ unclean forcing the poor old government to lock up you poor souls who just want to do whatever they say so they can protect you and keep you from harm 

carry on spelling , it may just click with you if you do

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Superb post 

I don't get this "lockdown" after Christmas idea. 

Either the lockdown/additional measures are warranted or they aren't.

If a lockdown is going to help, do it now, not after the virus has had time to spread.

I fear we won't learn anything from the first waves. Lockdown that achieves nothing major. Let's hope the early anecdotal evidence about Omicron is right, because if it's wrong we've let it get out of control like we did with Alpha. Could be a massive disaster. 

38 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't get this "lockdown" after Christmas idea. 

Either the lockdown/additional measures are warranted or they aren't.

If a lockdown is going to help, do it now, not after the virus has had time to spread.

I fear we won't learn anything from the first waves. Lockdown that achieves nothing major. Let's hope the early anecdotal evidence about Omicron is right, because if it's wrong we've let it get out of control like we did with Alpha. Could be a massive disaster. 

Well quite apart from the fact that people haven’t seen loved ones for months and Christmas is normally the opportunity to do so, there is the issue with omicron that nobody knows how lethal it is.

if it is very infectious but not very deadly then letting it spread is exactly what hers immunity was supposed to be about. 

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Just one little example of NHS pressures. My great niece, who is a nurse, caught covid, got to day 9 of her 10 days isolation when her daughter tested positive, so now she has to start another 10 days because them's the NHS rules. (She works in a paediateic ICU.) So 19 days away from the workplace. 

She's young and fine in herself, but there doesn't need to be many of those examples for the NHS to be on its knees.

The impact just isn't on the elderly and vulnerable. It's about keeping things operational.

Surely changing policy on work and isolation rules would make more sense than locking everyone up for 2 weeks?

Directly off BBC website:

Seven-day average for cases up 63%

The figures also showed that 847 patients were admitted into hospital.

Looking at the trends behind the numbers, the seven-day average for cases is up 63.1%.

For deaths and patients admitted into hospital it is much flatter - up 0.9% and 2.2% respectively.

Although those percentages are low, it is worth bearing in mind that serious illness and admission to hospital has a time-lag from when infections rise'.