Frank Lampard

Day

2 hours ago, David said:

Quick mention for Lampard, must be some mixed emotions going through him.

Sacked 4 months ago, probably thinking that woulda, coulda, shoulda been him.

Still deserves a lot of credit for sticking by Mount, bringing James through. 

Not sure he had the competence to take them all the way and to win the title, sure he would disagree. 

FTFY.

13 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've got no issues with Lampard, and I'm grateful for the fantastically entertaining season he gave us.

But he's nowhere near Tuchel's level.

Lampard’s just starting out in management, wouldn’t expect him to be anywhere near his level

• 6 months later...
32 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

Does he reveal what possessed him to start Mason Bennett up front at Wembley and why he thought it was a good idea to splash out over £10m on Malone, Jozefzoon and Waghorn?

Yes. He prefers high pressing game.
I think he spoke well. Also, I think he will have a good managerial career as he has the most important skill to have a succesful one: self-reflection.

I found it interesting he wasn't that angry about spygate, thought it was wrong but felt like he had to strongly defend the club.

Clear he loved his time here, and whilst asked would he do anything different in the play off final, starting Marriott never came up.

1 hour ago, David said:

I found it interesting he wasn't that angry about spygate, thought it was wrong but felt like he had to strongly defend the club.

Clear he loved his time here, and whilst asked would he do anything different in the play off final, starting Marriott never came up.

Also having no contact with Chelsea until after the final, even though he’d spoken to them in April about the possibility of loans for the next season.

12 hours ago, SecretDave said:

Does he reveal what possessed him to start Mason Bennett up front at Wembley and why he thought it was a good idea to splash out over £10m on Malone, Jozefzoon and Waghorn?

yes. he said the diamond worked against Leeds. It didnt.. it only worked when Marriott came on . Same against Villa. Doh!

Interesting to hear that it wasn't his decision to sell Vydra and Weimann. I never understood why we needed to sell Vydra but then we ended up spending more than what we sold him for on Waghorn, Marriott, Malone and Jozefzoon. We'd have been better off keeping Vydra and utilising Martin instead of Bennett.

I'm grateful for his brace vs Wednesday otherwise we'd be staring League 2 in the face but £5m on Waghorn is one of the worst bits of business in the clubs history. We were never ever going to get that back on him. A lot said it at the time as well.

18 minutes ago, AGR said:

Interesting to hear that it wasn't his decision to sell Vydra and Weimann. I never understood why we needed to sell Vydra but then we ended up spending more than what we sold him for on Waghorn, Marriott, Malone and Jozefzoon. We'd have been better off keeping Vydra and utilising Martin instead of Bennett.

I'm grateful for his brace vs Wednesday otherwise we'd be staring League 2 in the face but £5m on Waghorn is one of the worst bits of business in the clubs history. We were never ever going to get that back on him. A lot said it at the time as well.

Wages, cashflow, P&S could have all been factors. Obviously, with the 4 players you listed leaving on frees, we would have been better for P&S by not selling. Martin wasn't wanted because he can't press, whereas Bennett was often utilised to great affect on the wing.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wages, cashflow, P&S could have all been factors. Obviously, with the 4 players you listed leaving on frees, we would have been better for P&S by not selling. Martin wasn't wanted because he can't press, whereas Bennett was often utilised to great affect on the wing.

Fair enough. Would still rather have played Martin than Nugent that season

9 minutes ago, AGR said:

Fair enough. Would still rather have played Martin than Nugent that season

Even though he wouldn't suit the tactics? For the tactics Lampard wanted to play, Nugent was the better fit, especially as 3rd choice.

It's not as if Martin had much impact when loaned out.

Martin - 2 goals, 4 assists, 1401 minutes
Nugent - 2 goals 2 assists, 1133 minutes

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Even though he wouldn't suit the tactics? For the tactics Lampard wanted to play, Nugent was the better fit, especially as 3rd choice.

Martin would have put away most of the chances Nugent squandered. As we all know you have to provide your strikers with chances for them to be effective. What was Martin's goals per minutes played in his last season for us? At one stage best in Championship.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No offence but I couldn't care less about Martin's stats when he was on loan. I don't need stats to tell me that Martin would've been a better option as back up for Nugent that season who scored 2 goals in one of the greatest championship teams of all time. There's nothing that Nugent did that season that Martin couldn't do

48 minutes ago, AGR said:

No offence but I couldn't care less about Martin's stats when he was on loan. I don't need stats to tell me that Martin would've been a better option as back up for Nugent that season who scored 2 goals in one of the greatest championship teams of all time. There's nothing that Nugent did that season that Martin couldn't do

Lampard said his idea was to press from the front. And after initial first training sessions, he realised many of the players at his disposal couldn't do that following the departures of Vydra and Weimann.

Martin is an excellent player when used as a pivot with energetic wide players and a roaming midfielder behin him.

Our best front four since relegation was Martin, Ward, Russell and Bryson.

But Mel broke that up with the purchases of Bent, Ince, Weimann in his first summer in charge.