v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

I don’t normally blame officials - but that ref has cost us at least 1 point. I am not even sure Waggy should have been sent off. He played the ball but his foot bounced off the top of the ball and as a result he caught the player. I don’t think it was reckless or malicious.

And the foul in the middle and all the added time.

I’m livid. I am a peaceful man - but if I saw that ref now I would knock him spark out!

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nuwtfly said:

The sending off obviously massively changed the game, but I don't think we played all that well today.

Didn't come anywhere near replicating the Swansea performance in the opening stages of the game, and largely looked quite similar to how we looked under Cocu this season, and indeed through many of Rooney's first few games.

Sending off is obviously the major turning point, but it wasn't a good performance.

I'd agree about the opening stages that we didn't look as lively and i suspect that was the change back to a 4231 which caused it.

After that though we battled well with 10 and did more than enough (especially after the break) to secure a point on most days. Ref had other ideas.

Very good performance from ten men. Difficult to understand why the Ref didn't give an obvious foul on Sibley or why he played so much injury time over and above what was allotted. I don't think it's sensible to make a substitution so late either. But Waghorn is most to blame for the defeat.

Did well to nullify Preston for 70+ mins after a certain red card. Can't help but think Wayne could have changed things earlier and taken the game to them. Shinnie or Knight off for Ibe or Sibley (earlier). Lots of industry and perhaps we were trying to grind out a draw but Preston were pretty open to be got at. Sure things would have been different if not for the red. Can blame poor individual reffing decisions but for me we should have gone for it. 

Take that desire into the brum game - without a no need red card challenge and we will win.

People who are saying o we can’t score etc a) clearly didn’t understand the context of that match and b) obviously are blind to how well and how much effort all the players are putting in. In the second half with ten men we were taking the ball off them all over the park, when we got into the final third it was clear to see we were missing that extra man. Another day with 11 men we would have won that.  

Performance wise there is so much for us to build on. Gut wrenching but it’s not like in games under cocu for me where we were losing and you could barley pick out a player who played well bar Jason knight for his energy.   

Just now, wollatonram said:

£100 charity bet, if we dont get serious investment in Jan we will get relegated.

Fine by me. We need investment granted, however this team will not get relegated. 

I do caveat that, it is dependent on us not getting refs like today's ?

Derby finding new and inventive ways to ruin Christmas since 1884. 

Worst part? Preston were awful. Deserved nothing. Barely an attack in anger in 70 mins against 10 men. Waghorn should be ashamed and shouldn’t be involved for the foreseeable - he’s not indispensable enough to need him. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

The game is over there if he blows, so why does it matter? If he rightly blows the whistle there, we take 30 seconds to take it, and we have no danger until the full time whistle. 

The ref didn’t give a foul. They didn’t just stroll up and score there was waves of play between it. Yes it was a foul and yes we should have had the FK and launched it into the corner but we still shouldn’t be allowing them to score. 

That’s incredibly harsh on Derby 

the referee clearly did not want us to do well - it’s like an EFL conspiracy isn’t it 

four pull backs by fisher  should equal four yellow cards and fouls against us not given in most of the game 

Richards our MoM who did some fantastic work 

6 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

STOP BURYING YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND! We are going down if we do not invest in this squad, we CANNOT score goals

Did you watch the game glass half empty? We almost held on for a draw with 10 and no help from a crap ref. Granted we could do with another striker in January and I'm sure Rooney knows who he wants. There's no way we're going down based on the last 7 games.

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

The ref didn’t give a foul. They didn’t just stroll up and score there was waves of play between it. Yes it was a foul and yes we should have had the FK and launched it into the corner but we still shouldn’t be allowing them to score. 

The point is, with a competent ref we're never even in a position to do any defending there. With a competent ref, it's game over right there. We defended for 70 minutes and only conceded to a long shot because of poo refereeing. 

4 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

I don’t normally blame officials - but that ref has cost us at least 1 point. I am not even sure Waggy should have been sent off. He played the ball but his foot bounced off the top of the ball and as a result he caught the player. I don’t think it was reckless or malicious.

And the foul in the middle and all the added time.

I’m livid. I am a peaceful man - but if I saw that ref now I would knock him spark out!

Beware the fury of a patient man!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you figure that. With 11 men we're not knackered at the end of the game and can control things.

The circumstances just mean a lot of folks are peed off with the ref right at the end not giving the foul on Sibley and playing well over the five minutes.

Obviously overall waghorn getting sent off contributed more, but the way it played out.......grizzle........

Archived