Marmite Player

dilkie

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Darryl Powell, in an interview, slagging off 'gifted' players who didn't work hard enough. He said that if he'd been given that much talent, he would have made the most of it. 

He then got criticized for saying so and I used to defend him for it.

Many times over recent years, we've needed a Darryl Powell, in fact, we'd probably be in the premier now, if we had.

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I remember Darryl Powell, in an interview, slagging off 'gifted' players who didn't work hard enough. He said that if he'd been given that much talent, he would have made the most of it. 

Many times over recent years, we've needed a Darryl Powell, in fact, we'd probably be in the premier now, if we had.

Ah, Darryl Powell..... Was like Carlton Palmer but without the skill.

? I loved that line, just wish I could take the credit for it.

Bless him though. Jim liked him and that's good enough for me.

21 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The midfield we had in 95/96 was excellent for this league.  Powell/Van der Laan with Carsley often playing behind. Trollope and Flynn would often come on late and stick to people like limpets. Opposition were that terrified it was worth a point before the start.

On 12/12/2020 at 13:48, Raich Carter said:

For me, and I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but Kinkladze was over-rated. He was class in parts but the number of times he just CBA sent me mental. When we’d had some many grafters before (Carsley, etc) he just stood out as when things started to go wrong. I know he was a flair player but just plain lazy. 

I will not have the same criticism laid at the door of Ace. Because he’s my fave! ?

Asanovic and Baiano only had one good season each.

3 minutes ago, Malty said:

I hated Daryl Powell. He always passed the ball backwards or put other players in danger.

I guess that’s the point of this thread though. Some liked him, some didn’t.

Remember him being given the job of man marking Ortega when Jamaica played Argentina in the 98 world cup . He lasted about 40 minutes till he got sent off bless him and could have gone 3 times.  He was effective with better players around him to give the ball to, but his limitations were there when those players weren't available. Always gave 100% though.

People in the early 70's didn't like John McGovern because he wasn't particularly skilful, he weren't fast, didn't score many goals, tended to pass sideways or very short, he was a tich so never won a header, wasn't that great at tackling. England won the World Cup with someone very similar (Nobby Stiles).

Yet Brian Clough made him his first signing at every club he managed and built his team around him. He was a man marker and would follow his managers instructions for 90 minutes, he would drop into a defensive position in front of the back four and snuff out any attacks without fail. Clough knew you had to have a McGovern in your team to allow the more talented players to thrive.

John Eustace is probably a reasonable comparison where he would do the donkey work to give freedom to Hughes and Hendrick to play further up the pitch, making runs beyond the CF, knowing that Eusty would sort it out if the opposition suddenly broke out.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Asanovic and Baiano only had one good season each.

Asanovic kept us in the division though he was the fulcrum of the 96/97 team and Baiano and Eranio got us top of the table for a bit and a top half finish. Asanovic didn't really have a poor second season, we just put three up top, didn't play him, then he left.  

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Asanovic kept us in the division though he was the fulcrum of the 96/97 team and Baiano and Eranio got us top of the table for a bit and a top half finish. Asanovic didn't really have a poor second season, we just put three up top, didn't play him, then he left.  

None of which contradicts my post.

15 hours ago, JJs dms said:

Russell/Ince everyone i knew seemed  to love Johnny and dislike Tom didnt understand it then dont understand now

That is really funny because I remember everyone loving Tom and Slating Johnny, which I didn't understand then or now lol

I guess that is real marmite lol

15 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember him being given the job of man marking Ortega when Jamaica played Argentina in the 98 world cup . He lasted about 40 minutes till he got sent off bless him and could have gone 3 times.  He was effective with better players around him to give the ball to, but his limitations were there when those players weren't available. Always gave 100% though.

He said that in part of the interview, his job was to win the ball and pass it 5-10 yards to someone who could do something with it.

Dawkins kind of sticks out to me, often derided as having no end product but had incredible technique and an awareness for getting into space always thought it was a shame we didn't try him more in midfield and an even greater shame that Clement booted him.

In the current squad there's a fair few players I could pick but for the sake of brevity I'll pick the "academy" players as a block (mostly focusing on Buchanan, Bird, Sibley and Knight). Still convinced that we should be building the side around them, still convinced they are close to the most talented players we have available and still convinced that with the right coaching and management they'd quickly flourish.

Archived