Marmite Player

dilkie

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Paul Emson.

Incredible pace which made him a terrific outlet. Yet most people hated having him in the team.

45 minutes ago, RamNut said:

He was rubbish. ?

I liked him but he only had one trick - kick the ball past the full back and race him to it.

As soon as teams sussed that out, he didn't have anything else.

For me, and I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but Kinkladze was over-rated. He was class in parts but the number of times he just CBA sent me mental. When we’d had some many grafters before (Carsley, etc) he just stood out as when things started to go wrong. I know he was a flair player but just plain lazy. 

I will not have the same criticism laid at the door of Ace. Because he’s my fave! ?

7 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

For me, and I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but Kinkladze was over-rated. He was class in parts but the number of times he just CBA sent me mental. When we’d had some many grafters before (Carsley, etc) he just stood out as when things started to go wrong. I know he was a flair player but just plain lazy. 

I will not have the same criticism laid at the door of Ace. Because he’s my fave! ?

I thought Carbone showed Kinkladze up in his short loan spell. Maybe didn’t quite have the skill but he more than made up for it in work rate for the team

On 11/12/2020 at 21:33, LeedsCityRam said:

Tom Ince & Chris Baird

I'd have Tom back tomorrow, thought he was excellent at this level. Baird grew on people eventually but I was a fan from the start...fantastic delivery 

Good shout as I thought they both had a strongly negative impact on the whole team. Neither for me!

10 hours ago, Malty said:

Gary Teale surely?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the thread? Surely no one thought he was any good. :) 

9 hours ago, Raich Carter said:

Yes Kinky didn't do it for us, but my sense was it was because he was never given a chance. You have the most skillful player in world football in your squad but you put him on the bench because you don't think he's a great trainer. Madness! Should have made him feel loved and built the team around him.

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Good shout as I thought they both had a strongly negative impact on the whole team. Neither for me!

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the thread? Surely no one thought he was any good. ?

Yes Kinky didn't do it for us, but my sense was it was because he was never given a chance. You have the most skillful player in world football in your squad but you put him on the bench because you don't think he's a great trainer. Madness! Should have made him feel loved and built the team around him.

I have a very good friend who has been a season ticket holder at Man City since the 70's, when we signed Kinky he said to me, you will watch him one week and think he is the greatest footballer that has ever lived, then the week after you will think he is a total clown and want to kill him....he was spot on...but i loved Kinky..

another player i always thought was average that everyone loved was Seth.

8 minutes ago, Old Sawley Popside said:

Gerry Daly & Gordon Hill

Everyone loved Gerry Daly as far as I recall.

gordon hill was a bit more marmite.

47 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the thread? Surely no one thought he was any good. :) 

I can remember him have a few good games.  He tore Leicester apart in one game in particular .  I think his intermittent performance may have been sugar rush comedown from all those Dinky Donuts I used to see him consuming in the Eagle Centre after training.

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Bloody hell. Sticking up for them must have been difficult.

I quite enjoyed some of Kuhl’s performances when he was in a belligerent mood. I liked his ugly stuff.

Pembridge wasn’t a bad footballer, and scored a good few goals for us.  Must have been 30 plus. Lots of fans didn’t like him though, and not really sure why now. Had a pretty good career including longish stints at Everton and Fulham.

21 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I quite enjoyed some of Kuhl’s performances when he was in a belligerent mood. I liked his ugly stuff.

Pembridge wasn’t a bad footballer, and scored a good few goals for us.  Must have been 30 plus. Lots of fans didn’t like him though, and not really sure why now. Had a pretty good career including longish stints at Everton and Fulham.

Part of Pembridge's problem was that he never seemed to care enough.

Part of Kuhl's problem was that he wasn't very good.

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with these two re marmite players.

21 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

Chris Porter. I thought he was a really good finisher who just couldn’t stay fit enough to carve out a proper career here, but doesn’t seem fondly remembered.

Remember Clough openly slating him in an interview on the radio about how tired he was of 'him and his blasted hip'.  Think there was a bit of he could play but chooses not too syndrome .  He had a great debut with 2 goals against a strong Swansea team and was very physical in the air. A decent acquisition for 400k if he'd been fitter. 

Archived