Marmite Player

dilkie

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Craig Burley.... could not stand him and the guy who sat behind me at the game thought he was the next Dave Mckay..

Anyone else remember that lovely interview he gave after an awful match- might have been Gillingham away- where he refused to talk about the match but wanted it known that Derby owed him money.  Great captain ?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Part of Pembridge's problem was that he never seemed to care enough.

Part of Kuhl's problem was that he wasn't very good.

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with these two re marmite players.

You are spot on with Pembridge, he looked lazy and didn't seem to want to chase passes that weren't straight to him(probably from Kuhl), but he had talent and a great shot. There were rumours about him not getting on with the other players, staying on the coach to eat his sandwiches alone when the other players went and had a meal at a pub was one story I heard.

Khul had a good shot pm him and liked to leave his foot in tackles, but as you say wasn't a great player otherwise.

Talent wise that early 90's team should have gone up but the chemistry was wrong.

An example of both their shooting.

9 hours ago, jakally said:

Tommy Johnson. I loved him, so quick and likely to make things happen. 

Lots didn't see it that way.

He annoyed prople by missing a load of one on ones, they didn't get that it was his movement making these chances. Better finishing and he would be a top class player.

11 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head with these two re marmite players.

Pembridge's weird agriculture gait didn't help either. The fact that he was a ginger didn't help as well.

On 12/12/2020 at 13:44, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be honest, I don't think he was ever that marmite until the culture wars started up around him. I think the level of tribalism then affected people's views of him.

Nah, 15/16, 15 goals and 12 assists wasn’t good enough for some people and so the obsession with pace began 

19 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He did an interview last week with Ed Dawes for Radio Derby and seemed like he couldn’t remember anything from his time at Derby 

1 hour ago, JJs dms said:

Russell/Ince everyone i knew seemed  to love Johnny and dislike Tom didnt understand it then dont understand now

Cause Johnny smiled ??

20 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I quite enjoyed some of Kuhl’s performances when he was in a belligerent mood. I liked his ugly stuff.

Pembridge wasn’t a bad footballer, and scored a good few goals for us.  Must have been 30 plus. Lots of fans didn’t like him though, and not really sure why now. Had a pretty good career including longish stints at Everton and Fulham.

I watched Pembridge train and he was a very, very good footballer. But a moaning git. 

I was a big fan of David Jones. He was deadly at set pieces and could shoot. People behind me didnt rate him for whatever reason. Went onto have a decent career afterwards. One of King Billy's better signings.

One Nigel Clough's worst pieces of management was calling out Cywka. Even if he was abit crap defensively, he had no fear dribbling past defenders. 

Recently I'd say Alex Pearce. He never let us down when he played for us. My family and mates groaned when he started.

Archived