Marmite Player

dilkie

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, leroyoftherovers said:

Steve Cross 

He was my favourite player when I first stood on the pop side as a young boy, simply because he played on the wing and he was the closest player to me, I could never understand where he went for the second half.

25 years later I meet my wife and her mate is the son of Steve Cross.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

He’s still a useful player who has become a target for no apparent reason.

he is underrated both as a midfielder and as a centre back. 

All true, but I'd argue he's not marmite. 

He's a useful squad player, who's had little opportunity to become anything more. 

I'd put him in the same bracket as Coutts, Pierce and Whitbread from recent seasons.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Paul Trollope

Very good shout.

The best game I can recall was when he almost succeeded in man marking Cantona out the game at Old Trafford; say almost because Eric slipped him to set up Solskjaer near the end to make us sweat. He was the unsung hero though to me that day, watched him stick to Cantona like glue most of the game, denying him space and time.

Trollope’s contribution was largely unnoticed by many, though i reckon it won us the game as much as Ward and Studger’s goals from memory because I seem to recall saying to my mate all game how quiet Cantona had been because of it. Tell you what, that bloke Smith did his homework on tactics at times too. 

49 minutes ago, Rev said:

All true, but I'd argue he's not marmite. 

He's a useful squad player, who's had little opportunity to become anything more. 

I'd put him in the same bracket as Coutts, Pierce and Whitbread from recent seasons.

Coutts was mint and had he not done his knee I think he would have been our best midfielder under McClaren 

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Coutts was mint and had he not done his knee I think he would have been our best midfielder under McClaren 

That's why I lumped Evans into that category alongside Coutts.

Not a marmite player, just one who's not really had a chance.

Kitson would be my pick as a marmite player, despite his goals and obvious talent I really disliked him.

Team Marco for me.

Used to love Ben Pringle - gave everything on the pitch, and in the same vein, Stephen Pearson. Seem to remember people berating them both.

Also used to liked Steve Davies too, for no real reason though.

Going back a little, I was a huge fan of Russel Hoult when I first started watching Derby. Again, he doesn't seem to be remembered that fondly

Mick Brolly, often maligned Mick was with the Rams for exactly one year from 1/8/82 to 1/8/83, made 42 appearances so possibly played in every game during that period? Scored 4 goals (not bad for a wide player in a struggling team) and more importantly set up Andy Hill to score the second goal in the Taylor v Clough FA cup 3rd round tie at the Baseball Ground in 1983 sparking pandemonium in the Popside, fans on the pitch, the whole works, and to top it off I believe we sold him on to Scunthorpe for more than we paid Grimsby for him a year before.

Archived