Marmite Player

dilkie

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Taribo West, even he didn't know what his legs would do. Fun to watch as long as we were already winning.

Who didn’t like Taribo West? I’m not sure about the legs description. West from my recollection was an absolute Grade A, top of the game centre half that nobody could believe came to Derby. He might have been past his peak but even the Derby version of Taribo would walk straight into most PL sides now. 

9 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

How dare he do an interview where he played up to the forest fans whilst he was a forest player eh? Written off before he’d kicked a ball. 

To be fair, I think he was a Bristol City player at the time!

Still couldn't be less arsed though. In fact, it made me like him a little more. I like seeing players buy into the pantomime.

13 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Tom Ince & Chris Baird

I'd have Tom back tomorrow, thought he was excellent at this level. Baird grew on people eventually but I was a fan from the start...fantastic delivery 

When you look at Ince’s stats for a wide player it’s unbelievable how so many fans disliked him or were indifferent to him. Statistically he’s right up there with our best players of the last 20 years.

Hang on. No, this is easy: it’s definitely simmo.

I loved him.

I managed to go to around two or three games a season in those days and I was lucky to pick the two or three games that he was unplayable. Beat a man, got to the byline, cross that anyone could stick in the net. Even scored his fair share of goals. He was fantastic .... except for the games he was not. The games he disappeared, looked disinterested: often because he got a big tackle in the first ten minutes and seemed scared from then onwards.

I never forget going to Leicester later in his career and someone shouted

“what the duck is simmo doing?”.

Someone else replied

“looks like he’s getting a sun tan”.

Classic terrace humour. For me though, simmo was simply a superstar. One of my early days Derby heroes.

37 minutes ago, Malty said:

I loved him.

I managed to go to around two or three games a season in those days and I was lucky to pick the two or three games that he was unplayable. Beat a man, got to the byline, cross that anyone could stick in the net. Even scored his fair share of goals. He was fantastic .... except for the games he was not. The games he disappeared, looked disinterested: often because he got a big tackle in the first ten minutes and seemed scared from then onwards.

Someone else replied

Classic terrace humour. For me though, simmo was simply a superstar. One of my early days Derby heroes.

So who didn't like Paul Simpson? Not sure I ever met anyone who did.

Not a player but, I can’t let this pass by without saying King Billy of Davies. Absolute legend.

i also used to only be able to see the good things in Claud Davies... I know. 

on the other side of the coin, players everyone loves who I could never understand why.....

dean sturridge and Malcolm Christie probably head my list...but there are many. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Paul Emson.

Incredible pace which made him a terrific outlet. Yet most people hated having him in the team.

He was rubbish. ?

14 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Not a player but, I can’t let this pass by without saying King Billy of Davies. Absolute legend.

i also used to only be able to see the good things in Claud Davies... I know. 

on the other side of the coin, players everyone loves who I could never understand why.....

dean sturridge and Malcolm Christie probably head my list...but there are many. 

I'll give you Davies for the 06-07 season He recovered it well at the end when I thought we were done going into the playoffs. Wasn't it something about promotion bonuses for those he brought in January causing issues ?  But as for the rest. Oh dear.

1 hour ago, Malty said:

I loved him.

Someone else replied

Everyone liked Simpson surely. When him and Johnson were in the team you prayed Simpson would get the one on one.

Archived