Who is to blame

Derby blood

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last year or so has soured the relationship with the fans. Probably his biggest error was trusting a huge amount of money to Clement, and we’ve not recovered financially from those excessive contracts for certain players we all know. But what was he guilty of, putting trust in his manager and giving him the backing. I think he has since mentioned that himself. Mel is a fan at the end of the day and I will always appreciate his efforts because I think he has the club at the forefront. If this takeover goes through and we end up staying up and progressing in whatever form that may be in the near future then he may claw back some of the fans’ support.

Blimey, this is refreshing.  I have said that having Morris (a fan in charge) has to take the blame for almost everything.  He ruled with his heart and listened to the fans. It has been a disaster. 

I have said this for a couple of years on here and I have been lambasted 

I think there are a lot of contributing factors, don’t think it is fair to lay the blame at any one persons foot.

Problems with players not behaving, poor financial decisions (or gambles that didn’t pay off), losing Frank at a key time, COVID-19, EFL charges (partly brought on by poor financial decisions), investments falling through...

We are in real trouble here.

Blimey, this is refreshing.  I have said that having Morris (a fan in charge) has to take the blame for almost everything.  He ruled with his heart and listened to the fans. It has been a disaster. 

I have said this for a couple of years on here and I have been lambasted 

Its easy to point the finger at 1 person, but people need to go back to this forum when Cocu was appointed and the Rooney signing was announced. 

Easily 95% of posters agreed at the time. 

The recruitment (whoever is in charge) over the last 2 to 3 years needs seriously looked at. 

Really harsh & a bit simplistic to blame Mel. He's made mistakes but he has poured in time, effort & plenty of money to get us up. He will have been advised by plenty including Sam Rush/Chris Evans.

Rather than 'who' is to blame...'what' is to blame? The cult of celebrity that has swept over this club for the past 5 years.

From Paul Clement Real Madrid/PSG/Chelsea super coach, to big name expensive players under Clement & Rowett, to Frank Lampard & his high profile and expensive loans leaving us with a shell of a squad, to Phillip Cocu and worst of all, being the final stop in the Wayne Rooney retirement tour. 

This club needs to get back to basics. It needs to appoint the best man for the manager's job - irrespective of profile. It needs to recruit players from unconventional places based on how they fit into the team. It needs to prioritise hard work, high tempo football with emerging and hungry personnel and realise that players and managers 'on the way down' are rarely the magic ingredient for success.

5 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Really harsh & a bit simplistic to blame Mel. He's made mistakes but he has poured in time, effort & plenty of money to get us up. He will have been advised by plenty including Sam Rush/Chris Evans.

Rather than 'who' is to blame...'what' is to blame? The cult of celebrity that has swept over this club for the past 5 years.

From Paul Clement Real Madrid/PSG/Chelsea super coach, to big name expensive players under Clement & Rowett, to Frank Lampard & his high profile and expensive loans leaving us with a shell of a squad, to Phillip Cocu and worst of all, being the final stop in the Wayne Rooney retirement tour. 

This club needs to get back to basics. It needs to appoint the best man for the manager's job - irrespective of profile. It needs to recruit players from unconventional places based on how they fit into the team. It needs to prioritise hard work, high tempo football with emerging and hungry personnel and realise that players and managers 'on the way down' are rarely the magic ingredient for success.

I agree completely about the celebrity culture, but ultimately that has been a feature since Morris took over.

From day one he's been in thrall to it, and actively cultivated attention for himself. Think back to the signings of Johnson, Butterfield etc when the big cheques were being written - all accompanied by the photo of Mel posing with them signing the contract.

As I've said before a long while ago, I don't necessarily begrudge him the limelight; it must be tempting to chase fame and adulation when you've already achieved incredible success in your business life, yet can walk around your home town practically unknown. But you can't base major decisions on it.

Bringing in Rooney was the peak of the madness though. Needless to say everyone bought it and got hysterical ("Mel's done it again!") It's just another poorly thought through PR stunt which, in my opinion at least, only served to undermine the manager.

I struggle to believe that Cocu wanted him here, much less that he wanted to play him every game.

2 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Look I am so upset after this

But for me, Mel took this club on after the defeat against QPR at Wembley, we was a good footballing team

He is selling us as a team bottom of the Championship. 

Mel needs to take some blame for all of the terrible decisions he has made for our club, not his club our club

I am and always will be a positive supporter, but Mel your Derby way did not and would not ever work. 

Can not wait for a change of ownership ASAP. 

Sorry to bring this up, but if Mel’s way was never going to work, why have you not challenged it before? Why have you not previously criticised his terrible decisions?

My memories of your posts from the past are that you have been very supportive of everything Mel has done, often referring to him very courteously as Mr Morris. You have been pretty much a cheerleader for his activities, and so have a great number on this forum.

A small few, including myself, have been saying for a long time that he was not the figurehead we need at our club, but I take no pleasure in the way things are turning out. Nor do I lay all the blame at Mel’s feet. He had some good ideas and intentions, but unfortunately implemented many poorly.

I think it unfortunate, and in truth a bit unsavoury, that many of his cheerleaders are now turning on him right at the end of his ownership. He doesn’t really deserve the witch-hunt that is beginning to gain momentum.

Mel for sacking Mac then Clement for buying everything, then Mel for sacking Clement, then Mel for going for Pearson, then Pearson for being crap and then Mel for sacking Mac, then Mel for bringing Rowett and changing philosophy again, then Rowett for leaving behind pensioners, then Lampard for being a selfish Bamford, then Cocu for being crap, then Rooney, Sam Rush, drink driving, the apocalypse, hurricanes in America, ffp, EFL, Gibson and a partridge in a pear tree. 

The only problem we have is that we can't score - but it's a massive problem.

I can remember when we played Man u and Chelsea, and we had Johnson and Bryson in the

middle waiting for passes inside, they would then lay the ball off to players running forward,

there were always options to pass to without going backwards, and players getting in the box

this is what has disappeared, not the effort, not the determination just the connection between

the midfield and the forwards, which may or may not be due to the total football ethic. Surely we

can correct this in training? There was never a situation where we were waiting for a cross to one

forward, surrounded by the whole of the oppositions defense!

I think this started with the FANS! 

In that season where we crumbled, had an injury crisis and McClaren was linked constantly with Newcastle, fans got above themselves, groaning at 3-0 up against Brighton, picking fights in town with players and getting their knickers in a twist about McClaren not saying “I’m not leaving” in whatever way they demanded! 

Primed Mel’s trigger finger. We never recovered. 

Archived