Rooney in charge: Yes or No?

LeedsCityRam

Rooney: Yes or no?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Now that Cocu has left, do you want Rooney as our new boss?

• Yes please, Rooney in charge
    • No way, would be a terrible call

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/20 at 18:13

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No from me,one of the few things me and Roy Mac don't entirely agree with!

No experience of first team managerial role,seemed to lacking the captaincy skills I sort of expected from him, especially over the past few games and mainly because he is quite a big gamble when we absolutely have to hit the ground running after the break.

One for the future.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They were the first few that came up on google, I couldn't be arsed to find that ones that were quoted when he signed.

You'd think that the Calvert-Lewin one would go down well with our youngsters. 

He's played in positions that perhaps aren't his first choice because he wants to keep playing. If he gets picked to play what are you expecting? 'No boss I'm crap at that, I'll not play there'? ?

The footballer is on the way out, the coach/manager is on the way in. I'd give him a go in the same way Lampard got given a go.

I was just highlighting that those articles did not really proclaim Rooney's greatness or there were flaws in them that kind of contradicted the claims you were making. 

Well, him being a nice guy by opening doors and having great technical ability is good but it doesn't really mean much in terms of how he'd be as a manager. 

I mean that's not totally true though is it. He's moaned about playing on the wide right at Man Utd sure in times past, however that's not true in the past 5/6 years of his move towards being a centre midfielder. He's often been saying how he likes playing in the middle as he feels it's where he's good as a player. It has seemed by all accounts that he's welcomed the move  because he has this view of himself as a cultured sophisticated player which actually isn't his strong suit. 

Lampard has an IQ of 160 and is thus a massive outlier in terms of adaption from player to coach. So if we were to think that it would be like Lampard I'd have severe doubts.  I personally wouldn't let Rooney within a million miles of our club as a manager. 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

seemed to lacking the captaincy skills I sort of expected from him, especially over the past few games

I see it as he had to do Cocu's bidding on the pitch, that was his role. If it didn't work the blame should be at least shared.

No, not nearly ready enough to manage a Championship club.  Needs to be assistant to someone with much more experience.   If we can get Eddie Howe or Paul Cook (for instance), then by all means set it up so that Rooney transisitions to player/assistant manager then assistant manager when he hangs up his boots. But at the moment we need an experienced hand steering the team and Rooney is not it.

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Who would you consider then as new manager then.

Anyone beside Neil Lennon and a bloke who you have seen have a publicized result in the news in the last couple of days.

"Say what you see", "what's mr chips doing here then"

Seriously though cook, howe, jokanivic, big sam.

There are 4 main issues with Rooney 

1) He's a part of why we are were we are. As a player, captain and coach he shoulders a not insubstantial amount of fault for our current situation and the rest of the squad will be well aware of that. It will be at the back of their minds at every decision he makes, especially if he doesn't start exceptionally. 

2) There are going to be questions about whether he's engineered it regardless of the truth of it. Again there is always going to be that lingering question mark of whether he got the job fair and square.

3) He has zero experience and no time to learn on the job.

4) Lack of separation. I really don't like players becoming managers with no time in between with a club on principle. It makes it harder to be objective and harder still to have the perception of being objective.

Honestly I think it could be a recipe for disaster. He might turn out to be a good manager but right now, in the current situation it feels way too risky with way too little upside. 

I will admit there is not insubtational part of me that wants a new manager to come in and immediately make his mark by sitting Rooney on the bench. 

I voted yes, not because he’d be my first choice in an ideal world but I’m just not quick to write someone off before he’s managed a single game.  By the looks of it Rooney, etc will have a few weeks in charge at least. May as well see if he can earn the job rather than judge the guy based on......I don’t know what you’re basing it on, your perception of him in interviews? The way he speaks? Whatever it is that has made so many sure he can’t cut it, it’s certainly not based on any knowledge of how good a coach or manager he can be, it’s not based on his footballing intelligence either.

let him try and earn the job I say. If he wants it, let’s see if he can do it. 

27 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

There are 4 main issues with Rooney 

1) He's a part of why we are were we are. As a player, captain and coach he shoulders a not insubstantial amount of fault for our current situation and the rest of the squad will be well aware of that. It will be at the back of their minds at every decision he makes, especially if he doesn't start exceptionally. 

2) There are going to be questions about whether he's engineered it regardless of the truth of it. Again there is always going to be that lingering question mark of whether he got the job fair and square.

3) He has zero experience and no time to learn on the job.

4) Lack of separation. I really don't like players becoming managers with no time in between with a club on principle. It makes it harder to be objective and harder still to have the perception of being objective.

Honestly I think it could be a recipe for disaster. He might turn out to be a good manager but right now, in the current situation it feels way too risky with way too little upside. 

I will admit there is not insubtational part of me that wants a new manager to come in and immediately make his mark by sitting Rooney on the bench. 

so ya don't like him then? ?

You know, what’s bad about this is the only one whose managed Derby that’s still here doesn’t even get a mention. Especially with regards whose looking after 1st team affairs. Darren Wassall 

Much maligned and better than a lot give him credit for, but he ain’t a name and our lot would never allow it. Shame really. 

Archived