Rooney in charge: Yes or No?

LeedsCityRam

Rooney: Yes or no?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Now that Cocu has left, do you want Rooney as our new boss?

• Yes please, Rooney in charge
    • No way, would be a terrible call

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/20 at 18:13

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respect every manager as to start somewhere  , from  BHC , SHANKLEY , JOSE , PEP etc 

At the present time just couldn't see Rooney doing a job at Derby   would rather him learn his trade as a manager else where  .

That's not to say he won't become a successful  manager  as I have no tangible  evidence  he will or won't .

Would much prefer a tried and tested manager ...but it appears to me that becoming Derby County manager is a poison chalice at the moment 

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The fact that he appears a bit grumpy and mumbles when a microphone is stuck under his nose is of no consequence. Can he galvanise and inspire a young squad on the training pitch and on matchday is my only concern.

Absolutely this. 

If we’re looking to appoint someone who is great in front of a camera with a microphone, let’s get Ant & Dec in.

23 minutes ago, David said:

Wayne Rooney’s Derby County, I’m all for it.

I don’t understand those that are writing him off, lack of experience? Nigel Pearson had bags of it. Stepping stone? A manager with ambition great, sounds perfect to me.

I don’t want a manager that sees Derby County in the Championship as the pinnacle of his career and lacks any ambition of managing at the top.

If Rooney was appointed and we had a similar scenario to Lampard last summer and United or Everton came in for him, again that’s great as it will mean he’s done a decent job for us and proven his ability to manage.

Lampard didn’t leave for another Championship club, this wasn’t a side step, he went to the top, fighting for Champions League places which let’s be honest, that’s a million miles from where we’re at.

Sucks for us to lose a manager after a year, sure, but that’s football. A few fans wanted rid of Cocu after a year so you can’t demand loyalty when we don’t show any back.

I honestly don’t care if it’s Wayne Rooney or Ronald McDonald, I just want a manager in place that the players want to play for, leave everything out on the pitch after 90 minutes as they haven’t been doing that recently. 

If the club do appoint Rooney, they have done so as they believe the players will do just that.

Let’s not forget, if it fails and we went down, they stand to lose a hell of a lot more than any of us will. 

Lampard was a bit of a one off. He interviewed brilliantly and fundamentally is a natural manager.

But its not easy for any player to step and suddenly be the boss, ordering around those people who were formerly mates and team mates. Has anyone other than Dalglish ever achieved that transformation? 

Rooney hasn’t emerged as the Mackay figure everyone expected, galvanising the group, leading by example.

if we were to pick a manager from amongst the players, based on the example they set on the pitch, then we would be appointing Jason Knight. 

Give him the rest of the season.

I'm far from convinced he can do the job, but my reasons are as skewed as a lot of other peoples in so much as I cannot see past the fact he wouldn't pass a MENSA test.

Maybe we need to?

I was talking with @Eatonram last night and he was telling me how much he was respected in the dressing rooms he played in for his tactical nous.

I don't care what his personality is like. Alf Ramsey had had a charisma bypass operation, Bob Paisley was blander than a sponge cake with the cream removed and even Arthur Cox with his 'it's just journalistic speculation Colin' was hardly an inspiring individual on the charisma front.

I'm more interested in:

Does he know football? - Definitely at all levels.

Can he figure out tactics? - Probably to definitely.

Can he influence players positively to bring the best out of them? - Who knows?

Would loan players want to play for him? - Probably to definitely.

And possibly? most importantly of all, will his ego allow him to realize that he needs to use himself minimally? - Who knows?

if there was a prime candidate sat there waiting to take over then maybe we move on, but I'm not sure there is and I'd be ok with giving him the season with the remit that we have to see serious improvements.

This isn't a dig at @LeedsCityRam, but I'm not a fan of polls like this, to be honest. It's as though the only two emotions you can ever feel are sheer delight or furious anger.

If he were appointed, I wouldn't be particularly happy because it would be a huge gamble at a time when we're bottom of the league, it would invite even more of a media circus upon us and, without wishing to be too judgemental, he doesn't come across as the most inspirational bloke in the world.

That being said, how can anyone say it would be a 'terrible call'? For all we know, everyone inside the club could be in awe of his incredible levels of tactical knowledge (and not, I hope, his average performances on the pitch).

These sort of false dichotomies don't do anyone any favours IMO.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Lampard was a bit of a one off. He interviewed brilliantly and fundamentally is a natural manager.

But its not easy for any player to step and suddenly be the boss, ordering around those people who were formerly mates and team mates. Has anyone other than Dalglish ever achieved that transformation? 

Rooney hasn’t emerged as the Mackay figure everyone expected, galvanising the group, leading by example.

if we were to pick a manager from amongst the players, based on the example they set on the pitch, then we would be appointing Jason Knight. 

Maybe he was a one off, who knows unless Rooney is given a chance?

I remember a similar reaction at the start when Lampard was first mentioned, as the days went by more and more people warmed to the idea. 

As for the interviews, @i-Ram covered it beautifully earlier. 

Of course it wouldn’t be easy for him, but don’t forget he’s already been a coach at the club so it’s not player straight to manager.

His assistant would be a key appointment, needs a bad cop to his good cop, his black book of contacts wouldn’t be small.

I just think we should be more open to the idea and less dismissive as it sounds like it could be on the cards. 

Saying that, everyone was on board with the Pearson appointment, maybe it would be good to go completely the opposite way this time!

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

This isn't a dig at @LeedsCityRam, but I'm not a fan of polls like this, to be honest. It's as though the only two emotions you can ever feel are sheer delight or furious anger.

If he were appointed, I wouldn't be particularly happy because it would be a huge gamble at a time when we're bottom of the league, it would invite even more of a media circus upon us and, without wishing to be too judgemental, he doesn't come across as the most inspirational bloke in the world.

That being said, how can anyone say it would be a 'terrible call'? For all we know, everyone inside the club could be in awe of his incredible levels of tactical knowledge (and not, I hope, his average performances on the pitch).

These sort of false dichotomies don't do anyone any favours IMO.

No offence taken & fair point ?

I did want to make it a very simple binary choice but will also admit to being so hacked off with the media's arrogance in 'appointing' him before Cocu had even left, that it probably swayed my choice of phrase for the negative option.

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I did want to make it a very simple binary choice but will also admit to being so hacked off with the media's arrogance in 'appointing' him before Cocu had even left, that it probably swayed my choice of phrase for the negative option.

Agreed. I like Jamie Carragher but talking up his mate when we still had a manager was incredibly disrespectful.

This isn't exactly a novel opinion, but I'm really not a fan of the attention the big names bring to the club. That doesn't mean we should be completely shut off from the idea of signing well-known players/managers, but it's certainly a factor that detracts from their appeal.

it just looks like a repeat of the error with cocu.

picking a manager based on being an ex-superstar player with a smattering of coaching experience.

As brian Clough said, management is a totally different game.

we could do with a Peter Taylor right now.

someone who’s positivity made everyone believe we were going right to the top, to the extent that it actually happened. someone with a forensic ability to short the wheat from the chaff, and the Midas touch when building a team.

I see a bit of that in frank. The ability to lift everyone. I didn’t see any of it in cocu. And I can’t see it in Rooney. That grumpy mumbling persona DOES matter.

(P.s. I wasn’t on board with Pearson).

it just looks like a repeat of the error with cocu.

picking a manager based on being an ex-superstar player with a smattering of 

As brian Clough said, management is a totally different game.

we could do with a Peter Taylor right now.

someone who’s positivity made everyone believe we were going right to the top, to the extent that it actually happened. someone with a forensic ability to short the wheat from the chaff, and the Midas touch when building a team.

I see a bit of that in frank. The ability to lift everyone. I didn’t see any of it in cocu. And I can’t see it in Rooney. That grumpy mumbling persona DOES matter.

(P.s. I wasn’t on board with Pearson).

Cocu had won 3 Dutch titles as a manager. Completely incomparable with Rooney.

Oh, and Peter Taylor is rightfully a Derby legend for his work as assistant manager. But, whisper it, he wasn't a very good manager for Derby.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Cocu had won 3 Dutch titles as a manager. Completely incomparable with Rooney.

Oh, and Peter Taylor is rightfully a Derby legend for his work as assistant manager. But, whisper it, he wasn't a very good manager for Derby.

How do you know. You weren’t even born.

as a matter of fact Taylor engineered a famous recovery during a season which became known as ‘the great escape’. he also took a team of absolute poo and beat Brian clough’s Forest team in the cup. He signed some very good players including Bobby Davison and Paul futcher. But the club was going bankrupt and couldn’t afford to sign anyone. That’s why the wheels came off.

How do you know. You weren’t even born.

as a matter of fact Taylor engineered a famous recovery during a season which became known as ‘the great escape’. he also took a team of absolute poo and beat Brian clough’s Forest team in the cup. He signed some very good players including Bobby Davison and Paul futcher. But the club was going bankrupt and couldn’t afford to sign anyone. That’s why the wheels came off.

Think @DarkFruitsRam7 has him mixed up with...

684593CA-6739-4196-8219-9AF9F6B99C7E.jpeg

Archived