Rooney in charge: Yes or No?

LeedsCityRam

Rooney: Yes or no?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Now that Cocu has left, do you want Rooney as our new boss?

• Yes please, Rooney in charge
    • No way, would be a terrible call

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/20 at 18:13

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Rooney will get the job. This exercise is as futile as voting Conservative in Liverpool Walton.

Maybe its all already agreed but my aim in setting up the poll was to highlight to any interested observers that contrary to what his pals in the media think, his appointment would not be welcomed.

Possibly naive but would like to think representatives of our new owners would a) be interested to gauge fans' opinion & b) wouldnt want to alienate the fanbase with their first likely decision.

P.s. for any lurkers or media types, this is the current state of play....its a resounding 'no'.

20201114_211341.jpg.72e20d2fbe7e146807f108a0414bf21d.jpg

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Maybe its all already agreed but my aim in setting up the poll was to highlight to any interested observers that contrary to what his pals in the media think, his appointment would not be welcomed.

Possibly naive but would like to think representatives of our new owners would a) be interested to gauge fans' opinion & b) wouldnt want to alienate the fanbase with their first likely decision.

I do understand LCR and I have some empathy with your motivation. But, it should not surprise anybody if Rooney gets the job. Football sold its soul to Moneymen many years ago, and Rooney still has much box office value and worldwide appeal (both from a marketing and media perspective). That is a lot more important to owners than a hometown fanbase. 

The other factor to take into account is that a great many of the 90% who voted tonight, will be thinking Rooney an absolute genius if he gets us out of the bottom 3 before Christmas playing some reasonably attractive football, and will conveniently cast aside their opinions and reservations of tonight. Football fans are so very fickle.

I haven’t voted. My vote won’t count for anything. In truth though I don’t think Rooney will do too bad a job if he gets the gig, particularly if he has a good number two. If he hasn’t soured the dressing room, I think/hope he could get good buy-in, and also continue the great philosophy of bringing good youngsters through. 

Rooney will presumably get a few games in charge now as caretaker manager while the takeover is being concluded to stake a claim...if we perform well, score goals, notch up a few wins and if the team are clearly working hard for him then he will be in pole position for the full time role. Otherwise, thanks for filling in Wayne and you can now be assistant to Rafa.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEHgHqgrd6TdB0vHLeb6fdHkqGQgEKhAIACoHCAow2c77CjC-yfQCMIrk0wU?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

Meanwhile, former Villa and Derby striker Darren Bent has warned Terry that it may be too early for his managerial career to begin especially with a club that are propping up the second tier.

"Derby are rock bottom of the Championship and they’ve got Cocu who is an experienced manager.

"We're talking about a guy in John Terry who this will be his first managerial job and his task is to get them off the bottom of the table.

"I don't quite understand it, I don’t get it, for me, it’s a bit of a weird one.

"I'm all for people getting opportunities and I think John Terry will get his opportunity but I don’t think this is the right one for him at the moment."

Interesting because I would say the same thing for Rooney, its too risky a move to put someone with zero management experience at the helm of a sinking ship.

For that you need an experienced manager.

Id look at Terry over Rooney, Terry will have a great defensive mindset and the team needs to improve its defense.

But personally I wouldn't give either the role at this time

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Id look at Terry over Rooney, Terry will have a great defensive mindset and the team needs to improve its defense.

"Defensive mindset". Because he was a defender?

Nunez was a goalkeeper. Do Wolves not have attacking players?

Besides, we're not scoring any goals... We need to improve the attack aswell. ?

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEHgHqgrd6TdB0vHLeb6fdHkqGQgEKhAIACoHCAow2c77CjC-yfQCMIrk0wU?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

Meanwhile, former Villa and Derby striker Darren Bent has warned Terry that it may be too early for his managerial career to begin especially with a club that are propping up the second tier.

"Derby are rock bottom of the Championship and they’ve got Cocu who is an experienced manager.

"We're talking about a guy in John Terry who this will be his first managerial job and his task is to get them off the bottom of the table.

"I don't quite understand it, I don’t get it, for me, it’s a bit of a weird one.

"I'm all for people getting opportunities and I think John Terry will get his opportunity but I don’t think this is the right one for him at the moment."

Interesting because I would say the same thing for Rooney, its too risky a move to put someone with zero management experience at the helm of a sinking ship.

For that you need an experienced manager.

But personally I wouldn't give either the role at this time

As a some-time listener of Talksport, Bent seems a really decent bloke but he has the tactical nous of my 7-year old. 

He is not a scholar of the game in any way. Would put zero value on his own opinion. 

He may have some idea of how players regard them and if within the game they are putting feelers out for the job. 

It really isn’t the situation to be experimenting with a complete novice in charge. People in favour of it (Rooney, his family, his mates, the media, that guy who delivered his watches, his pets) will site that Lampard had no experience, but he at least had done his badges, and some has semblance of personality. 

Mel definitely wouldn’t be that daft, but the new regime??

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I do understand LCR and I have some empathy with your motivation. But, it should not surprise anybody if Rooney gets the job. Football sold its soul to Moneymen many years ago, and Rooney still has much box office value and worldwide appeal (both from a marketing and media perspective). That is a lot more important to owners than a hometown fanbase. 

The other factor to take into account is that a great many of the 90% who voted tonight, will be thinking Rooney an absolute genius if he gets us out of the bottom 3 before Christmas playing some reasonably attractive football, and will conveniently cast aside their opinions and reservations of tonight. Football fans are so very fickle.

I haven’t voted. My vote won’t count for anything. In truth though I don’t think Rooney will do too bad a job if he gets the gig, particularly if he has a good number two. If he hasn’t soured the dressing room, I think/hope he could get good buy-in, and also continue the great philosophy of bringing good youngsters through. 

He does have a lot of poo to clear out of his system to be fair.

8 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Some fair points there. Obviously we disagree on Rooney's potential as a manager but if it's as nailed on as you think, I hope you're right about him & I'm wrong.

Just to pick up on a couple of points in your last paragraph; One thing he absolutely needs is support from the players as no team can rise from the bottom with a divided dressing room. I do wonder whether a) the media clamour for him as manager will go against him as other players suspect he's been indirectly lobbying for the job & b) how much resentment there is from players who havent been able to get into the side whilst he's been turning in sub-standard performances.

The youth question is also an important consideration. I suspect he will be more bothered about short term results than the long term health of the club...that in turn could have an impact on the patience shown to developing talent, who can be inconsistent. On the flip side, Rooney's profile will engage youth players but having been at the club a year now, I wonder how pronounced that would be.

13 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I said it a couple of weeks ago. There is no workable managerial solution that doesn’t include Wayne Rooney.

He’s either manager or assistant manager. 

My money is on manager and I expect him to have a similar impact to Alan Shearer, when he managed Newcastle.

So no impact whatsoever...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

It really isn’t the situation to be experimenting with a complete novice in charge. People in favour of it (Rooney, his family, his mates, the media, that guy who delivered his watches, his pets) will site that Lampard had no experience, but he at least had done his badges, and some has semblance of personality. 

Mel definitely wouldn’t be that daft, but the new regime??

Mel definitely wouldn’t be that daft.

Lmao Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Wayne Rooney’s Derby County, I’m all for it.

I don’t understand those that are writing him off, lack of experience? Nigel Pearson had bags of it. Stepping stone? A manager with ambition great, sounds perfect to me.

I don’t want a manager that sees Derby County in the Championship as the pinnacle of his career and lacks any ambition of managing at the top.

If Rooney was appointed and we had a similar scenario to Lampard last summer and United or Everton came in for him, again that’s great as it will mean he’s done a decent job for us and proven his ability to manage.

Lampard didn’t leave for another Championship club, this wasn’t a side step, he went to the top, fighting for Champions League places which let’s be honest, that’s a million miles from where we’re at.

Sucks for us to lose a manager after a year, sure, but that’s football. A few fans wanted rid of Cocu after a year so you can’t demand loyalty when we don’t show any back.

I honestly don’t care if it’s Wayne Rooney or Ronald McDonald, I just want a manager in place that the players want to play for, leave everything out on the pitch after 90 minutes as they haven’t been doing that recently. 

If the club do appoint Rooney, they have done so as they believe the players will do just that.

Let’s not forget, if it fails and we went down, they stand to lose a hell of a lot more than any of us will. 

29 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I said it a couple of weeks ago. There is no workable managerial solution that doesn’t include Wayne Rooney.

He’s either manager or assistant manager. 

My money is on manager and I expect him to have a similar impact to Alan Shearer, when he managed Newcastle.

Why?

he’s just a player. And an unfit one at that. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Some fair points there. Obviously we disagree on Rooney's potential as a manager but if it's as nailed on as you think, I hope you're right about him & I'm wrong.

Just to pick up on a couple of points in your last paragraph; One thing he absolutely needs is support from the players as no team can rise from the bottom with a divided dressing room. I do wonder whether a) the media clamour for him as manager will go against him as other players suspect he's been indirectly lobbying for the job & b) how much resentment there is from players who havent been able to get into the side whilst he's been turning in sub-standard performances.

The youth question is also an important consideration. I suspect he will be more bothered about short term results than the long term health of the club...that in turn could have an impact on the patience shown to developing talent, who can be inconsistent. On the flip side, Rooney's profile will engage youth players but having been at the club a year now, I wonder how pronounced that would be.

I am with you on many of your points. I am certainly not a Rooney fanboy. If he does get the job, I would only want him to have it if he had the buy-in of the current first team squad, and it was on the basis that youth players were given every opportunity to progress (he will hopefully learnt a lot under Fergie and his c12 years at ManU). The fact that he appears a bit grumpy and mumbles when a microphone is stuck under his nose is of no consequence. Can he galvanise and inspire a young squad on the training pitch and on matchday is my only concern.

Archived