Rooney in charge: Yes or No?

LeedsCityRam

Rooney: Yes or no?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Now that Cocu has left, do you want Rooney as our new boss?

• Yes please, Rooney in charge
    • No way, would be a terrible call

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/20 at 18:13

No thanks. Don’t necessarily have a problem with giving a new manager a chance - it worked out alright with Lampard to be fair. But I do expect a manager to be at least qualified enough for the job - if he has to have an experienced man alongside him to allow him to take charge, then that’s not a good sign imo.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

There were lots of newspaper interviews being quoted when we signed him by respected names in the game - memory to crap to quote, sorry.

He certainly isn't an 'traditionally' educated man, but lots of football managers aren't. There's quite a few comments from the current squad expressing their 'admiration' for Rooney, probably more than there are for Cocu?

I don't trust any of that tbh as they're hardly likely to say 'Well Wayne's a nice ambitious fella but he hasn't really got a clue' are they... 

It's not that he's not traditionally educated (most footballers aren't by virtue of training a lot when they're young) it's more that he doesn't even know what his best position on a football pitch is atm. That gives me far more concern than if he's using three syllable words to describe what is going wrong with the team. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

- if he has to have an experienced man alongside him to allow him to take charge, then that’s not a good sign imo.

Lots of management 'double acts' been successful. This need for badges is pretty recent? Even in the real world experience is allowed to count.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

There were lots of newspaper interviews being quoted when we signed him by respected names in the game - memory to crap to quote, sorry.

He certainly isn't an 'traditionally' educated man, but lots of football managers aren't. There's quite a few comments from the current squad expressing their 'admiration' for Rooney, probably more than there are for Cocu?

The squad who can't pass a ball 10 feet and are blowing out their asses after 30 mins?

Ah of course, they were being trained to do that. 

Rooney needs to go somewhere and do his apprenticeship properly. No offence to him or whatever potential he may have but this team do not need a celebrity media circus right now. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't trust any of that tbh as they're hardly likely to say 'Well Wayne's a nice ambitious fella but he hasn't really got a clue' are they... 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wayne-rooneys-football-intellect-makes-him-a-manager-in-waiting-6p2r9xn6j

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/wayne-rooney-dominic-calvert-lewin-19254562

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3028459/Wayne-Rooney-Michael-Carrick-Man-United-s-players-football-intelligence-demanded-Louis-van-Gaal.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4888902/Wayne-Rooney-untold-story-time-Old-Trafford.html

But it is a measure of the contradictions at the core of the player that David Moyes was most struck by Rooney's cognitive ability — his intelligence and powers of communication — when the two of them began working together again in the summer of 2013, nine years after they'd parted company at Everton.

On a scale of 0-10 with 10 being unbelievably risky I’d say hiring Wayne would sit at a 7. That said Iain Dowie managed to get a team promoted to the prem and he’s pony, so unless we have a few tarot card readers on here it’s impossible to write him off completely. 

That said he wouldn’t be on my shortlist.

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Rooney needs to go somewhere and do his apprenticeship properly. No offence to him or whatever potential he may have but this team do not need a celebrity media circus right now. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Moyes: But it is a measure of the contradictions at the core of the player that David Moyes was most struck by Rooney's cognitive ability — his intelligence and powers of communication — when the two of them began working together again in the summer of 2013, nine years after they'd parted company at Everton.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So one features a quote by David Moyes that basically implies Rooney was very slow as a kid but through experience managed to adapt to situations quickly. Given he'd had 10 years at the top of the professional level in that time it's exactly what I'd expect and would be terrified if he hadn't.  Another is written by Adrian Durham... and the kinds of mistakes that he points out being symptomatic of 'thick footballers' are exactly the ones Rooney is making now. The Liverpool echo one just highlight's Rooney's technical ability and the fact Wayne has opened up doors for him which indicates he's a nice caring guy. I can't read the times one as I don't have a subscription. 

None of this is actually particularly convincing. I'm far more concerned about his inability to understand why playing in centre midfield isn't something he's particularly adept to. He's tried to be a midfielder for the past several years but he's never shone in that position which is an indication he'll end up a crap manager if he tries to be one. It shows he doesn't seem to understand his own abilities. He's not mobile enough which puts pressure on the other 1 or 2 in the middle and ultimately damages the play of the team, he's not a tackler again mostly due to his lack of mobility, his passing range is good i.e. his technique but his vision isn't good enough to get him out of tricky spots when he's either man marked or sprung upon. This leads him losing the ball in dangerous areas.

Most importantly though in a way is that as he's too deep he loses his threat as a goal scorer which despite his pretentions to the contrary is ultimately what this guy is about. He was Everton's top scorer just a couple of years ago in a side that finished midtable in the premiership. I've little doubt if he was playing as a number 9 or number 10 he'd easily hit double figures and open up the space for everyone else. His desire to be seen as a cultured footballer sitting in the middle pinging passes about like a 3rd rate paul scholes is what is hurting the last days of his career and ultimately our team. Yet he can't seem to see it despite being a 'footballing genius' 

7 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

So one features a quote by David Moyes that basically implies Rooney was very slow as a kid but through experience managed to adapt to situations quickly. Given he'd had 10 years at the top of the professional level in that time it's exactly what I'd expect and would be terrified if he hadn't...Yet he can't seem to see it despite being a 'footballing genius' 

They were the first few that came up on google, I couldn't be arsed to find that ones that were quoted when he signed.

You'd think that the Calvert-Lewin one would go down well with our youngsters. 

He's played in positions that perhaps aren't his first choice because he wants to keep playing. If he gets picked to play what are you expecting? 'No boss I'm crap at that, I'll not play there'? ?

The footballer is on the way out, the coach/manager is on the way in. I'd give him a go in the same way Lampard got given a go.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lots of management 'double acts' been successful. This need for badges is pretty recent? Even in the real world experience is allowed to count.

They have, but I can’t think of one where the assistant manager was appointed through necessity. I believe getting the pro license is a year long course. That’s a lot of learning Rooney would be missing compared to other managers.

14 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I think we should maybe consider Celtic manager or Scotland national manager he sets them upto to attack but appentley new owners want steven Gerrard at new manager.

Id rather have phil brown back with paul jewell as assistant 

Archived