Rooney in charge: Yes or No?

LeedsCityRam

Rooney: Yes or no?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Now that Cocu has left, do you want Rooney as our new boss?

• Yes please, Rooney in charge
    • No way, would be a terrible call

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/20 at 18:13

10 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

I'm fed up of this club being a sideshow to Rooney. Even the BBC piece about Cocu leaving quotes him. Why?

So naturally he'll get the job.

I just don’t see why he should be fast tracked to manage a big Championship club. He should do his apprenticeship first in the lower leagues. Don’t see why he should jump the queue ?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You know, what’s bad about this is the only one whose managed Derby that’s still here doesn’t even get a mention. Especially with regards whose looking after 1st team affairs. Darren Wassall 

Much maligned and better than a lot give him credit for, but he ain’t a name and our lot would never allow it. Shame really. 

To be fair the chairman didn't allow it either, insisting he team up with uncle Harry 'for help' after the Rotherham debacle.

Lets not forget that he also played our key midfielder of that season in an inconsequential match against Ipswich.  I believe that ridiculous decision and broken leg cost us promotion that year. 

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Better he stays where he is. Hopefully he has recognised the job he is good at and is appreciated in.

He was good at the 1st team affairs - but agree on the appreciation 

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be fair the chairman didn't allow it either, insisting he team up with uncle Harry 'for help' after the Rotherham debacle.

Lets not forget that he also played our key midfielder of that season in an inconsequential match against Ipswich.  I believe that ridiculous decision and broken leg cost us promotion that year. 

Sacking Clement after losing 5 games cost us a better chance of promotion. Broken legs can happen - that was just unlucky.

Wassall a lot better than given credit for, problem was we reacted to the fans vitriol after Rotherham as we always tend to do here (yes that was me included)

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Sacking Clement after losing 5 games cost us a better chance of promotion. Broken legs can happen - that was just unlucky.

Wassall a lot better than given credit for, problem was we reacted to the fans vitriol after Rotherham as we always tend to do here (yes that was me included)

Was he though? Was he really?

Rotherham away. MK Dons home. Hull POFF first leg, playing Thorne in a dead rubber. All hideous performances and with that team we had back then too.

People live off the 2-0 Hull second leg game because that was his last game and absolute nothing to lose from it being 0-3 down anyway. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What would lots of fans said if Rooney had tried to show leadership and responsibility that didn't fit with what Cocu wanted?

Leadership can be shown in lots of ways. In the last 2 weeks Frank Lampard and Mason Mount have shown Derby County more leadership than Rooney has this season.

1 minute ago, Diego said:

Was he though? Was he really?

Rotherham away. MK Dons home. Hull POFF first leg, playing Thorne in a dead rubber. All hideous performances and with that team we had back then too.

People live off the 2-0 Hull second leg game because that was his last game and absolute nothing to lose from it being 0-3 down anyway. 

you could say that of any manager, they all had bad results in time. I don’t think anyone lives off that 2nd leg. 

I always thought he was on a hiding to nothing because of the fans expectations, I thought he did very well in the circumstances

The non stop Rooney bashing is disappointing  but not unexpected.. I personally have no issue with him he is a true pro and has been for many many years.. I think he will make a great manager but suggest our new owners will likely be looking for a well established high profile figure..

Pep cut his teeth where?

Mourinhio cut his teeth where? 

Lampard cut his teeth where?

Gerrard cut his teeth where?

Arteta?

Southgate? 

Maclaren?

Brendon Rodgers?

Klopp?

Scott Parker?

Gus Poyet?

Lately can only think of Sol Campbell and Kevin Nolan that fit the PL superstar starting in the lower leagues narrative.  

To a lesser extent Di Canio and Di Matteo who quickly progressed, but faded away fairly quickly after breaking the top leagues.

I'd say where you start is neither here nor there. If you're good enough it won't matter. As seen with Cocu your philosophy is your philosophy, I can't see massive style u-turns occurring based on experience in a lower league. Big Sams style will always be Big Sams style as will Eddie Howe's etc etc. 

Question is what would Rooney's style be?

Archived