Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

Didn’t deserve to lose that, but you couldn’t really say we deserved to win it as we didn’t test their keeper much apart from the Waghorn effort early on.

Was it better? Better than what?

Yes it was better than the last couple of games under Cocu’s tenure but I don’t think you can really make comparisons after just one game.

We did move the ball around quicker, had bodies in the box so there was positive signs, but as we all know, we’re desperate for a striker in January. Wouldn’t mind seeing JHI given more minutes.

I like Waghorn, his workrate but prefer him in that Johnny Russell wide role. Russell another that saw himself as a striker but wasn’t.

Frustrated would be the word tonight, wasn’t a bad game by any means, we just need to be a lot better in the final 3rd.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we were better. We looked decent on the ball. At times we looked like we were going to rip them a new one. But we are crap with the final ball nearly all the time and never really looked like scoring. Unfortunately I don't see that aspect of our game changing soon if we stick with Waghorn as striker. 

3 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

Are these the Waggy and Lawrence that last month were seen as the final pieces to cocus jigsaw?

And were never going to be

They may be 2 of our best players. But that's bad news. They're not that good.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm amazed because RoyMac5 is frequently one of the most negative posters, and even in good Cocu games rarely gave him his due. And now we had a poor game in which we lost under Rooney and he's all sunshine. 

That was better than most Cocu games this season.  We actually had a shape today and looked to play on the front foot.  You posts keep quoting Rooney but why not refer to Rosenior, if you are going to criticise. It was clear who was 'in charge' today.  The note to Rooney proved that.  That formation switch was not his preference.

Just now, GrimsbyRam said:

That was better than most Cocu games this season.  We actually had a shape today and looked to play on the front foot.  You posts keep quoting Rooney but why not refer to Rosenior, if you are going to criticise. It was clear who was 'in charge' today.  The note to Rooney proved that.  That formation switch was not his preference.

I don't think I mentioned Rooney once did I? I said we needed a new coach, I never pinned blame to either Rosenior or Rooney, I just don't think either of them are ready. Quote me where I particularly dug out Rooney and I'll take it back. 

Just now, GrimsbyRam said:

Better than Bournemouth away or Norwich?

Maybe but we lost to a team who had their training ground closed

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Personally I don’t think we looked any different in midfield than we did with Shinnie & Knight in there. I feel for both of them as they were the only real good performers the past few games. Would’ve preferred if R Wayne dropped himself, but that was never gonna happen.

As for getting the ball in the box quicker, when we did there was nobody on the end of it.

Shocking subs as well...

Do you mean the players brought on or off?  I thought Whittaker looks bright and JHI is a 'box' player, always looking to make a run.  

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

conceed a goal, never look like getting back into it, or like scoring.

We had two good penalty shouts turned down after their goal. Plus more attacking play.

I'm highly amused at what sort of turn around people were expected with the same lack of strikers.

They took Martin off (Clarke pocketed him) and bought another good striker on. We kept Waghorn on.

47 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Hard to see the tv when your nose is so far up Rooney’s arse

Come join me, enough room up here for the both of us. Didn’t play too badly today, seen him play better, and worse though.

Thought it was better today with the formation back to 4-2-3-1.  Bristol posed no real threat, but you always knew they'd get a chance and put it away whereas we do not look like scoring in a month of Sundays.  Therein lies the problem, no penetration... Waghorn not a centre forward, Lawrence still doing what he's always done, Holmes should never be in the middle in front of Knight or Sibley.  These players are simply not good enough, they have had more than enough chances, big overhaul needed in the front positions.  Positives today for me were Bird and Wisdom. I'm off to drown my sorrows and sulk for the rest of the weekend!

Just now, David said:

Come join me, enough room up here for the both of us. Didn’t play too badly today, seen him play better, and worse though.

If you think there’s plenty of room up Rooney’s arse you should come join us in Chris Martin’s, Roy Mac’s managed to fit an armchair in here!

The failure to recruit attacking forward talent in the close season or even in January last year is criminal. How professionals at the club thought the players in those positions are good enough is utterly baffling. January can’t come soon enough for whoever is in charge, if we have any cash to spend that is. If we don’t recruit properly in Jan, we’re going down.

Archived