Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

Derby played well enough today, but the problems are obvious.

Rooney takes too much control, which makes you easy to defend, particularly as the movement in the final third is limited.

Defensively Derby are ok, but one goal is enough for at least a draw.

City had a few Covid positives recently and several players who were on international duty and consequently were content to defend deep. All in all not exactly thrilling but we will take the points and move on.

Good Luck for the rest of the season!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Rooney the football equivalent of Dennis Waterman?

He picks the team, takes the corners and free kicks, and stars in every episode for the full duration. He'll be re-recording Steve Bloomers Watchin next. 

As an individual, he played well today, but I'm not convinced it was for the benefit of the team overall. I don't think I saw him do anything Knight or even Bird couldn't do in the same circumstances, yet his inclusion meant pushing Knight out wide, which is such a waste.

Playing Rooney in that role, in this system, means accepting 2 deep lying players in a midfield 3, which is never going to be productive attacking wise. Bird was good, but this system demanded a lot from the other midfielder, and Holmes just isn't up to the job. 

Constantly a yard off, poor anticipation and he's weak in his challenges, his short passing in particular is woeful, always a few feet away from his target, and almost never in front of them. 

As a squad man, I can see his worth, but not as a regular starting player.

I'll leave the rest for later, Lawrence especially.

1 minute ago, One Andy Weimann said:

Rooney takes too much control, which makes you easy to defend, particularly as the movement in the final third is limited.

His passing, particularly across field, was excellent. He kept the ball moving well. In the final third Holmes was poor, lost the ball often. Waghorn couldn't...etc and Lawrence again made wrong decisions.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

Constantly a yard off, poor anticipation and he's weak in his challenges, his short passing in particular is woeful, always a few feet away from his target...

This is utter nonsense. He was none of that today.

Edit: and unlike some of the midfield he was always available for a pass.

5 minutes ago, One Andy Weimann said:

Derby played well enough today, but the problems are obvious.

Defensively Derby are ok, but one goal is enough for at least a draw.

City had a few Covid positives recently and several players who were on international duty and consequently were content to defend deep. All in all not exactly thrilling but we will take the points and move on.

Good Luck for the rest of the season!

What points? We got zero as usual ?

27 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

That sounds like a terrible decision was it when he got pulled back when running into the box. What explanation can the ref give for that. The only thing I can think is we were in a better goal scoring position.

Only thing i can think of is Ref thought it was outside the box so waved play on, but it was inside. Still poo. 

57 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Why shouldn't we, There's a reason we're bottom it's called "we're not very good", Another clean sheet from the attack, The same players and some of the same coaches still can't find a formula, Losing can become a habit, This group of players are paid hansomely, Maybe they just can't be Ar**d.

Come in you know exactly what I mean but are being purposely obtuse. Player for player this side should not be 24th. They are good enough to be clear of relegation. 

My point is that they have the quality but they’re not showing it. They are not putting in performances they are capable of and they need to really be asking difficult questions of themselves. 

2 weeks of giggling in training and having the ‘shackles’ taken off saw little improvement. 

17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

More that they were made too late. Should’ve changed things around the hour mark.

Personally I would’ve hooked Holmes at half time and put Sibley on. So many moves broke down via him. Seems totally shot of confidence. Thank Christ for him there aren’t crowds at the moment 

Agree with the Holmes observations.  I guess the problem with timing was that 0-0 away from home today with them not really troubling us would have been a good starting point.

Mystified at the praise for Rooney. He did what he normally does...sits in, sprays a few telegraphed Hollywood balls out to the wing & a few easy pop passes across our back 4. Contrary to the presser yesterday, don't remember one instance where he 'hurt the opposition'. He was OK, nothing more.

Bird was much better. Great to have his conposure in midfield & he was looking to move the ball with purpose. We only really need one 'tempo' midfielder in the side & Max gets my vote everytime.

Overall, it felt very much like previous games. Not enough bodies in the box, consistently poor delivery/poor decision making & no noticeable improvements in the press or forward movement. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Was particularly alarmed at how dominant we were for first 30 mins of the second half but were still incapable of opening them up. Bristol noticeably became quite casual at the back as the half wore on, probably as they realised just how inept we were. The sucker punch was totally inevitable.

Archived