Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

Just now, BIllyD said:

What more would you want to happen, you seemed to have condemned the current appointments before they started, so it will be interesting to see what more you would have expected?

A few shots on target? Real desire to score a goal? 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

I feel like I say this every season, but I am so f-ing tired of seeing Tom Lawrence run into traffic and make the wrong decisions time and time again. Absolutely kills any kind of momentum or promising attacks we might have. 

Yep, once again we saw keen Tom first half, running hard and looking keen.

Second half, shoulders dropped, slowed to a walking pace. Casual and disinterested and yet he still doesn’t get substituted. It just looks like we have favourites. Poor old Tom, good old Duane. 

Bright spot was Bird’s return to form. 

9 minutes ago, sage said:

Play well for 30

Play ok till 75

Concede 

Struggle to create against a packed defence 

Repeat 

You forgot Lawrence moving like he's walked from John o' Groats to Lands End an hour into every game.  

There's an issue there or he's terribly unfit for this level.

When you have that much of a game and get nothing you really feel that confidence will hit rock bottom if it hasn't already. It's not even the fact that a couple of wins might change the picture.  This team just isn't good enough to get the 16 wins needed to be in this league next season.

Been watching football long enough to think maybe we should be looking at who we can get some cash for in January- particularly those out of contract in the summer who's ego won't allow them to stay- to bolster the coffers for a bleak midwinter at Northampton next season. 

Same old same old, toothless up front and always ready to make a mistake to give the opposition at least 1 easy chance per game.

We played some decent stuff, but until we start putting chances away, teams know they will always have a chance to take the points.

9 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Did he have three windows to bring in a striker? have we lost two? Severely hamstrung but spent £10 million on Bielik, £3million on Jozwiak plus IBe and Rooney's wages.  It was last season as much as this.  Make no mistake this is Cocu's mess.

a) no, he had one window because prior to that we had Martin, Waghorn, Marriott. We needed another even at this point.

b) spending on fees is very different to spending on wages. Dursun was identified as Martins replacement - go figure why that didn’t happen. Bielik and Jozwiak are both assets with high resale potential. So is Ibe

c) if you think he signed Rooney then you are a fool

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

It's just painful watching this team - not because they don't have ability, they clearly do. We probably have more technical skill than a fair few teams in the division. But we are so easy to beat.

Yes, they were trying. Yes it was better in a few aspects, but it was so much the same it hurt.

We just need to score a few and win a few and I think the team will start to be OK but at times it's like we're activly trying to not score goals from good possession.

I'm not normally a one for "no nonsense" managers, but I think at the moment that's what we need. However, with plaent more matches to play and at least a few of them under R&R lets try to be hopeful.

A bit better in some areas, passing forwards, pressing and urgency!

Same old, same old in others defensive lapses and brain dead in the final third!

The sub for Martin gave them more mobility and gave us a few problems ultimately exposing our defence.

We kind of played into their hands, they let us pass it around and then They cut us open. That’s all it needed I’m afraid!

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

Positives, the youngsters were the brightest sparks again. Buchanan and Knight their usual soldi selves, Bird back and much improved on his last performances. JHI, Whittaker and Sibley were better in their spells than some of the starters.

A goal on the break did us when we looked much better than previous weeks.

Negatives, a rookie management team isn't the answer right now. Rooney can't manage on the pitch and should either take himself off to get fresh energy on the pitch or bring himself on if he needs to "influence" the game with free kicks. I think he'd be more effective if he was coming on later in matches when the opposition might be a bit tired.

Although I agree with part of your post. I would argue Sibley didn't have long enough and did nothing to warrant your comment 

8 minutes ago, Kinder said:

This is really hard to watch at the moment. We’ve got to bring someone fresh in and very very soon.

Wow! I thought that was a good, hard fought game. Our lack of a good striker to lead the line showed.

Hector-I should have had a penno as should Clarke, thems the breaks!

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,this is why we are waiting for a brand new manager and Rooney and rosenier are stand ins....they have improved us but we look as likely to score as I am of pulling Anna Kournikova in llkeston tescos.

Cocus foundations were appallingly badly built and it's going to take someone special to rebuild them to any sort of standard.

What wait Anna kournikova shops at Tesco in Ilkeston. I’m off See you later

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Can't say I agree with that. Simple fact is we aren't good enough to keep a clean sheet and we don't score goals. A recipe for disaster. We can't blame refs for that. 

Well both push in the back you saying not pently clear ones and most annoying thing is he saw looked away ref was total joke.

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Poor poor poor. There’s players on that pitch that need to be looking long and hard in the mirror. 

We don’t have a top 6 side but we certainly shouldn’t be 24th. 

Why shouldn't we, There's a reason we're bottom it's called "we're not very good", Another clean sheet from the attack, The same players and some of the same coaches still can't find a formula, Losing can become a habit, This group of players are paid hansomely, Maybe they just can't be Ar**d.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We don't look good. We flatter to deceive. We play patterns but never look like scoring a goal. 

I would argue we look good but never turn our half chances into goal scoring opportunities

it feels close 

4 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Said this during the Barnsley game & still firmly believe it. He adds nothing to our team he is just using us to try & further his own personal ends. The only way we will get out of this is if a new manager comes in who isn’t forced to play Rooney - it’s like playing every game with 10 men...

Can't let this go. Rooney was very very good today. Hardly misplaced a pass, passed forwards and picked out his man to push the team forward. 

Same old.

Waghorn inside right, ball on his left foot, shoots across goal and can’t hit the target

lawrence coming inside on his right foot....surprise surprise, runs into traffic several times., produces nothing.

Crap strikers. 

Whittaker improved us. Sibley is on too late. 

caught out by an over reliance on overlapping full backs, which leaves a hole that lets them in.

oh well....max points in the prediction league. 

Archived