Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Wow! I thought that was a good, hard fought game. Our lack of a good striker to lead the line showed.

Hector-I should have had a penno as should Clarke, thems the breaks!

I'm lost for words that's your take away from this game. If this had been a manager you didn't like you'd slate them for a game like this as I said at half time, but because you like Rooney you're willing to overlook everything. Genuinely incredible. 

Usual issue for me. Waggy and Lawrence play 95 minutes, Holmes 75 minutes.  Three attackers who collectively made zero impact. Everyone else put a decent shift in but if your goal threat is non existent its down to luck really and we haven't had much of that. This goes on much longer we need promotion form to stay in the league.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

It's just painful watching this team - not because they don't have ability, they clearly do. We probably have more technical skill than a fair few teams in the division. But we are so easy to beat.

Yes, they were trying. Yes it was better in a few aspects, but it was so much the same it hurt.

We just need to score a few and win a few and I think the team will start to be OK but at times it's like we're activly trying to not score goals from good possession.

I'm not normally a one for "no nonsense" managers, but I think at the moment that's what we need. However, with plaent more matches to play and at least a few of them under R&R lets try to be hopeful

Unlucky result today, needed to better on the ball in the final third and are in a desperate need for a striker. Last twenty they could have shut up shop and settled for a bore, can imagine the outcry had they done, I can also imagine how fans would have reacted had we played like Bristol had done, sitting in and playing on the counter.

Seen the comments that there was nothing different compared to PC, says it all really if you didn't notice the difference, could argue it was still ineffective and we still didn't score a goal, but there were lots of little changes and for me plenty to build upon.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I saw that under Nigel Clough, and then good coaching made them look 10x better almost immediately. A good coach can turn these players into a good team. 

Not for me. Reckon pep, klopp and fergie would struggle with this lot. The youngsters who all seem to think are decent aren't first teamers, no full backs, no creative cm, no strikers plus I wouldn't want any of em in the trenches with me. No good at football, no good at the dark arts. Thus is why I'd love a barton, terry, bowyer in. An horrible bass that'll get some passion back because until ibe, Bielik and jozwiak start firing which is a long shot, we've got nowt. 

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Same old same old, toothless up front and always ready to make a mistake to give the opposition at least 1 easy chance per game.

We played some decent stuff, but until we start putting chances away, teams know they will always have a chance to take the points.

Won’t get fooled again  or maybe we will

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Can't let this go. Rooney was very very good today. Hardly misplaced a pass, passed forwards and picked out his man to push the team forward. 

The problem is the way rooney is used in the system is crap and doesn't work, so it almost makes it irrelevant.

1 goal from open play all season.

3 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Although I agree with part of your post. I would argue Sibley didn't have long enough and did nothing to warrant your comment 

Fair enough mate. I remember him trying to drive forward a couple of times in the short time he was on, but can understand that he didn't really influence the game at all. I think I'm just yearning for those bright days when they all broke through together.

I like holmes think he's a nice bloke & at times shows flashes of good stuff. Nearly every pass he hit was placed a yard behind the player it was intended for. There was some poor passing but i thought he was the most guilty of it. 

Just now, Xlor said:

Not for me. Reckon pep, klopp and fergie would struggle with this lot. The youngsters who all seem to think are decent aren't first teamers, no full backs, no creative cm, no strikers plus I wouldn't want any of em in the trenches with me. No good at football, no good at the dark arts. Thus is why I'd love a barton, terry, bowyer in. An horrible bass that'll get some passion back because until ibe, Bielik and jozwiak start firing which is a long shot, we've got nowt. 

Yeah, I hate every single last bit of this post. It's not about passion. If you can't see the young players are talented, that we fundamentally do not see the game in the say way. They were our best players today. Somebody screaming at these players aren't going to make poorly coached players better. A bit of tactical nous and improvement in training would be much more effective.

So easy for teams to beat us.  Bristol did nothing in the 2nd half, they didn’t need to. They comfortably let us into the final 3rd with no ducks given. Knowing at some point when we lose the ball around the area one of their breaks will result in a goal.

As @Nuwtflypointed out, its easy to set up against us tactically.

Rooney and Rosenior sat looking quite smug in their interview saying something needs to Change as though they had the answer. 
Not sure Knight out wide, Wayne and Dwayne in the middle and sibbo on the bench till 5 mins to go is the answer.

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Unlucky result today, needed to better on the ball in the final third and are in a desperate need for a striker. Last twenty they could have shut up shop and settled for a bore, can imagine the outcry had they done, I can also imagine how fans would have reacted had we played like Bristol had done, sitting in and playing on the counter.

Seen the comments that there was nothing different compared to PC, says it all really if you didn't notice the difference, could argue it was still ineffective and we still didn't score a goal, but there were lots of little changes and for me plenty to build upon.

I keep seeing the luck word mentioned.

It is incompetence which prevents us from scoring and in leaving the opponents three against one in the box.

16 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I get today hasn’t exactly been a huge improvement but did you really expect them to turn it all around in their very first game? It looks like they might have a couple game to show that Rooney/Rosenior are fit for the job and away at Bristol City is tough even when you’re in form.

We’ve been firmly alright today, let’s see how we are next game before burying them.

Exactly. Few individual errors, looked to go forward. Tidy. Happy that Waggy, Lawrence and Holmes were ready to have a pop. Plenty of crosses in the the box but no one there. At least one marginal peno shout. .. to lose that game was plain unlucky .. it happens when you are in our position.  .. ok so we weren’t great in the final third and a win would have been fortunate but not undeserved - much of the vitriol is misplaced. It’s tough but we need to keep giving our support 

2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well both push in the back you saying not pently clear ones and most annoying thing is he saw looked away ref was total joke.

The defence was so out of position for there go school boys would do better he's 18 yards out unmarked .

Proper old school manager required with urgency. 

For 75 minutes of the game we looked much better. Having Bird on allowed us to play higher up the field he and create more pockets of space to play into. Can you honestly say we deserved to lose?

We need to ball in the box quicker! It’s that simple. We allow the opposition too much time to organise themselves and when the ball does come in (which were much better this game) it’s either too late or there’s no-one there  

Archived