Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

Positives, the youngsters were the brightest sparks again. Buchanan and Knight their usual soldi selves, Bird back and much improved on his last performances. JHI, Whittaker and Sibley were better in their spells than some of the starters.

A goal on the break did us when we looked much better than previous weeks.

Negatives, a rookie management team isn't the answer right now. Rooney can't manage on the pitch and should either take himself off to get fresh energy on the pitch or bring himself on if he needs to "influence" the game with free kicks. I think he'd be more effective if he was coming on later in matches when the opposition might be a bit tired.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing in the game. Bristol City didn’t trouble us and yet we’ve lost again. Final 3rd embarrassingly bad.

Lawrence, great endeavour, but poor quality - clearly has zero confidence. Knight not a wide man, Whittaker looked decent when he came on. Waghorn offered little again, needs players nearer him. Bird/Rooney played well, back 3 not troubled. Poor quality going forward from wingbacks. Do we miss Bogle? Disappointing. 

1 minute ago, Shang said:

We can't afford to have Lawrence in the team. Never picks his head up, passes are lazy and without the right amount of zip, always makes the wrong decision. Whittaker produced more value and he was on the pitch the fraction of the time.

Been saying this for the last 5 games, either he isn't interested or does a fantastic mini run and makes the wrong choice of cross or shoot.

That was not poor. We’ve outplayed a top 6 side for long periods. 

Issue remains the final 3rd, needs more work not going to change in 5 days. At least the level of performance is back where it was pre-QPR game.

Didnt get what we deserved today but we can’t keep saying that. Tough game against Boro but put in another positive performance and build for the Wycombe and Cov games which are must win. 

Don't think we deserved to lose that

Defensive and midfield thirds both looked good and we were in control for much of the game.

Final third needs a lot of work, both with decision making and execution. 

Jozwiak and Ibe could definitely make the difference

Frustrating

On 07/11/2020 at 15:42, Cool As Custard said:

Biggest issue we have is trying to fit Rooney into this team - for me he doesnt get in our best 11. He slows our whole game down wherever he plays & contributes next to nothing. He will be main reason we go down IMO

Said this during the Barnsley game & still firmly believe it. He adds nothing to our team he is just using us to try & further his own personal ends. The only way we will get out of this is if a new manager comes in who isn’t forced to play Rooney - it’s like playing every game with 10 men...

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

I think people are seeing thing they want to see through rose tinted glasses..... 

Only saving grace is Brizzle are as lethargic as us.

With the greatness of respect to Holmes and the fact he gives loads of shirts of stuff away etc and his time to fans which is amazing, it doesn’t mean he needs to keep giving the ball away as well. 

I want this team to do better I really do, but I think for me we are clutching at straws if we think that 45 was an “improvement”

Heard a rumour that Holmes had found a lovely piece of leather in a locker at the training ground ,so nice he had a pair of boots made from it ,,,,, bugger me ,it turns out it was an old Claude Davis skull cap from training??‍♂️

Just now, Andicis said:

At this point, it's not being a ''wrist slasher'' or a ''bed wetter'' or any other derivative of that to be deeply, deeply concerned about our position now. We need big changes and we need them now. We're in deep trouble, and if people can't see it they're willfully ignoring that. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that given our current position we should be concerned. We have sacked the manager, have put in caretaker ones and are soon to be under new ownership and the search for a new manager is underway.

What more would you want to happen, you seemed to have condemned the current appointments before they started, so it will be interesting to see what more you would have expected?

2 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

I feel like I say this every season, but I am so f-ing tired of seeing Tom Lawrence run into traffic and make the wrong decisions time and time again. Absolutely kills any kind of momentum or promising attacks we might have. 

He is terrible, he is massively overrated . There has never been transfer interest in him and for good reason

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Seriously need to either bring a free agent striker in or get one on the pitch from the U23’s. 

there’s just no goals in our front line, need someone with a strikers instinct that can read the cross and be in the right position to put it in the net. 

Perhaps Marriott might fit the bill. Not sure

Well,this is why we are waiting for a brand new manager and Rooney and rosenier are stand ins....they have improved us,no doubt and I liked our new found determination but we look as likely to score as I am of pulling Anna Kournikova in llkeston tescos.

Cocus foundations were appallingly badly built and it's going to take someone special to rebuild them to any sort of standard.

Archived