Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, not noticing a great difference in our play after sacking Cocu. Which is no surprise, since we’ve just stuck some of his coaches in charge! Still sitting too deep and not pressing as a team well enough, and still lacking any sort of goal threat or creativity in the final third. About the only difference I can see is that certain players like Lawrence are putting a higher work rate in. To be fair, we’ve been decent in possession, and had a fair amount of the game, but we still don’t look likely to score. Nothing is suggesting to me that either Rooney or Rosenior in charge would see our fortunes change this season.

I think we look better. Not much better but still better. Its like cocu ball but we are far more faster with the ball that help.

Lawrence looks decent off the ball worked hard to win the ball

Just wish we'd be a bit more direct at times 

Just now, Andicis said:

Gonna need my mind jogging of those. I don't remember a single clear cut chance. If this was a Cocu performance you'd be slating him, at least be consistent. 

You need to watch more football mate!

According to the BBC:

Us: 6 shots 1 on target 5 corners

Them: 4 shots 1 on target 1 corner

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

HT 0-0

Clearly the "much-needed change" spoken about by Rosenior and Rooney meant the new manager being brought on; and not any of the work either of them are doing. As this performance is basically exactly the same as our games under Cocu.

We look competent in possession; but don't look any more dangerous in the final third. We are just as standoffish when Bristol are in possession and have had a couple of heart-in-mouth moments in defense.

I do think we were the better team in the first half; but I've thought that in the majority of games this season.

A lot different to under PC, not all of it is noticeable however there are two teams out there which does mean creating chances is not going to be easy.

We are playing a lot higher up the field, fewer passes between the defenders, however still trying to expand the game in the wide areas. Pressing as a front three higher as well, as the result of having Bird sitting in there and giving a bit of extra protection.

Plenty more to highlight, however I feel people are expecting these changes to be abandoning the complete philosophy that has been embedded this season and the opposition to let us attack at will in numbers whilst not trying to score themselves ?

Just now, desirelines said:

Scrappy. Neither side have created a proper noteworthy chance so far. Buchanan and Clarke playing well. Holmes struggling. Everyone else bang average. 

04CD1952-4B2B-4DD1-91AD-A31C2D6ED573.jpeg

This looks exactly like the xG maps of Cocu’s last few games. Solid defensively but completely pitiful going forwards. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You need to watch more football mate!

According to the BBC:

Us: 6 shots 1 on target 5 corners

Them: 4 shots 1 on target 1 corner

And neither are close to a goal on the xG stat. We had 2 more off target shots and 4 more wasted corners. Riveting. I know if this was a Cocu performance you'd be slating them, rose tinted glasses because you like Rooney. It's more of the same. 

Just now, Andicis said:

And neither are close to a goal on the xG stat. We had 2 more off target shots and 4 more wasted corners. Riveting. I know if this was a Cocu performance you'd be slating them, rose tinted glasses because you like Rooney. It's more of the same. 

They're Top 6 we're not. They're at home we're not. We've had them on the back foot and looked fairly solid in defence.  

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The comment about the training came from Rosenior himself, reported on here.

Didn't need to say it, makes himself look stupid when things look exactly the same. Like Rooney with his "need to simplify the message".

Why do they set themselves up by making such boneheaded pronouncements - quiet understatement a far better strategy.

So what were they supposed to say?

"Cocu has gone so we won't change a thing"

"We will try and make things really difficult for ourselves by playing intricate football?"

Come on they have to say something positive 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

They're Top 6 we're not. They're at home we're not. We've had them on the back foot and looked fairly solid in defence.  

Top 6 12 games in isn't much to brag about. Even Forest managed that on the occasion. Didn't Cocu achieve that vs Bournemouth and Norwich? Bet you didn't say that on those match threads.

Pretty much carrying on from where Cocu left off that half.

Slightly better at pressing when we haven't got the ball. We actually had a shot on target. Other than that, not much difference.

Haven't scored now in 300mins of league football. Still haven't scored more than 1 goal in a game all season. Defensively we're not that bad (barring the odd bizarre mistake), it's the creating and scoring of goals we need to improve on... and fast... I'm struggling to see this changing until we 1. Have Jozwiak/Ibe fully fit and 2. Get a new ST in January.

We might as well try one of the academy lads up front in the next few games. JHI or Stretton could turn out to be brilliant (and they can't do much worse at putting it in the net than the other players we've tried so far).

Anyway... come on lads! Keep the tempo up in the second half. COYR ?

Archived