Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

How much am I worth?

@RoyMac5? @Srg? @Boycie? @i-Ram? @B4ev6is? @MuespachRam?

People’s worth is opaque. I have no idea what this Sheikh is worth. But, the question is, should it concern us that we don’t know?

Not really.

Generally, people don’t buy football clubs for altruistic reasons, unless they are supporters of the club (Mel, Gibson- see what I did there?) they are buying. 

I think we have to assume that if Mel thinks this is right for the club he owns and literally supports, we should all be happy and embrace it.

I believe, and said so a number of times back in 2014 to 2016, that Mel’s purchase of the Club was driven as much by ego, as it being the team he supported. He could comfortably afford to buy it, and at the time the owners were prepared to do the deal because they were no longer able or willing to support its funding. I am 100% sure in my own mind that he thought he would by now be enjoying the hobnobbing and status that goes with being an owner of a Premiership club.

The reason the Sheikh is wanting to buy it is absolutely no different.

I hope Mel gets a reasonable chunk back of what he has invested, although I doubt he will. I wish him no ill will as he has clearly given it his very best shot, but in the end failed in his pursuit. He has in my opinion left the club a little worse off that when he took it over, but there is some improved infrastructure and the green shoots of a decent first team forming in the next 12-24 months.

If the Sheikh is not a charlatan, and has the money and willingness to push us forward, I am quite happy he has the opportunity to take over the helm of the Club even if in his heart he is really a Dubai City supporter.

1 hour ago, BriggRam said:

Hopefully it was just mad ramblings of a pissed off Geordie......... personally I thought he came across quite legit and seemed quite a bit more knowledgeable about the Sheikh than anyone else has on this thread, if he was just a angry Geordie wouldn't he be more inclined to rant about Mike Ashley .....what concerns me is no-one seems to know how much this Sheikh is actually worth, in fact some people don't even know where he is from.......maybe being a Derby fan for only 48yrs my pessimism is on high alert, I hope I'm wrong to not be over excited, I hope the unknown Geordie is just amiserable old Jimmy Nail lookalike that has just come onto our forum to vent his disappointment, if the deal is as close as has been reported we will find out soon enough ???

I didn't say he was miserable,he came across well but he knows no more about our deal than anyone else....no-one does other than those involved.

It's all pointless speculation and huffing and puffing until we know the facts and figures involved.

14 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I believe, and said so a number of times back in 2014 to 2016, that Mel’s purchase of the Club was driven as much by ego, as it being the team he supported. He could comfortably afford to buy it, and at the time the owners were prepared to do the deal because they were no longer able or willing to support its funding. I am 100% sure in my own mind that he thought he would by now be enjoying the hobnobbing and status that goes with being an owner of a Premiership club.

Didn't Mel tell us he gambled/agreed a higher buying price pre the PO Final and therefore based on our Prem potential.

11 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I didn't say he was miserable,he came across well but he knows no more about our deal than anyone else....no-one does other than those involved.

It's all pointless speculation and huffing and puffing until we know the facts and figures involved.

Agreed mate, hopefully he is a waffling bamford, and the Sheikh is legit and loaded beyond our wildest dreams ?

1 hour ago, Van Rammeister said:

How much am I worth?

@RoyMac5? @Srg? @Boycie? @i-Ram? @B4ev6is? @MuespachRam?

People’s worth is opaque. I have no idea what this Sheikh is worth. But, the question is, should it concern us that we don’t know?

Not really.

Generally, people don’t buy football clubs for altruistic reasons, unless they are supporters of the club (Mel, Gibson- see what I did there?) they are buying. 

So, the real question is; why buy a club? Some will do so for prestige (PSG, Milan - not so much in our case); but mainly to make money -as an investment. Fact.

If you want to make money from a football club; you’ll not do it on the Championship. Therefore, you need to get to the Premier League. So, investment will be necessary. 

Once in the Premier League, to make money, you need to stay there. So, ongoing investment and the success of the academy are key. But, if you ask Arsenal fans about Stan Kroenke - they’d not be happy, about just doing enough to be at the top end.

So, where am I going with this? I think we have to assume that if Mel thinks this is right for the club he owns and literally supports, we should all be happy and embrace it.

I could have a punt ? I’ve met 4 of that motley crew ?? PM if you want the lowdown.

53 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The reason the Sheikh is wanting to buy it is absolutely no different.

I hope Mel gets a reasonable chunk back of what he has invested, although I doubt he will. I wish him no ill will as he has clearly given it his very best shot, but in the end failed in his pursuit. He has in my opinion left the club a little worse off that when he took it over, but there is some improved infrastructure and the green shoots of a decent first team forming in the next 12-24 months.

If the Sheikh is not a charlatan, and has the money and willingness to push us forward, I am quite happy he has the opportunity to take over the helm of the Club even if in his heart he is really a Dubai City supporter.

Well I have to say I disagree on a couple of points.

1.mel deffo didnt buy the club out of ego and whilst I cant prove this.i know this as a fact.he is one of the most genuine,unselfish and generous people I know and for a man that has achieved what he has(alot of which is kept quite) shows that ego has never been a thing for him.how many people had heard of him before candy crush? Not many yet for sometime before that he was a very very wealthy and successful man.he bought Derby as he could see that the yanks were never going to progress it and he believed we were a nats nacker from being a prem team and he believed by pushing some money into the team we could make it.things have not gone to plan and I'm not saying that mistakes have not been made,who is to say where the club would have been had he not taken it on.

2.i wouldn't say he will leave this worse off but I do understand why you and others may think this as at the moment the team is not where it should be.but in my opinion he has the club from top to bottom in a better place with plenty of youth in the first team or on the cusp of being in it, making this club at some point either under him or someone else a club with huge potential and some very valuable assets.

I’ve seen a quote somewhere, probably from BZG’s uk representatives, saying on finance re attempted Newcastle takeover “We’re not talking Man City here” . We’re not going to get “ the sky’s the limit” spending- have a read of this:

U.S. hedge fund holds talks with Dubai-based Bin Zayed Group over £300m Newcastle FC purchase

By BEN HARRINGTON, FINANCIAL MAIL ON SUNDAY

PUBLISHED: 21:32, 20 July 2019 | UPDATED: 11:00, 21 July 2019 

An American hedge fund backed by Japanese investment giant SoftBank has been holding talks with the Dubai-based Bin Zayed Group which is interested in buying Newcastle United Football Club for between £300 million and £350 million.

It is believed Fortress Investment Group is one of a number of parties talking to Bin Zayed about providing expensive debt financing for a takeover of the Premier League club, owned by retail tycoon Mike Ashley.

16 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

20 camels. Pretty ones.

Reminds of a guy I knew, that used to castrate camels. I asked him how he did it. He said I sneak up behind them with 2 house bricks and bang them together. I said does it hurt. He said Yes, if you catch your thumb.

18 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

Well I have to say I disagree on a couple of points.

1.mel deffo didnt buy the club out of ego and whilst I cant prove this.i know this as a fact.he is one of the most genuine,unselfish and generous people I know and for a man that has achieved what he has(alot of which is kept quite) shows that ego has never been a thing for him.how many people had heard of him before candy crush? Not many yet for sometime before that he was a very very wealthy and successful man.he bought Derby as he could see that the yanks were never going to progress it and he believed we were a nats nacker from being a prem team and he believed by pushing some money into the team we could make it.things have not gone to plan and I'm not saying that mistakes have not been made,who is to say where the club would have been had he not taken it on.

2.i wouldn't say he will leave this worse off but I do understand why you and others may think this as at the moment the team is not where it should be.but in my opinion he has the club from top to bottom in a better place with plenty of youth in the first team or on the cusp of being in it, making this club at some point either under him or someone else a club with huge potential and some very valuable assets.

1) I agree he was wealthy, in comparative terms to a great many, and clearly he is a very bright guy in his field of speciality. But he did not become super wealthy until he sold his stake in Candy Crush which wasn’t long before he took control of Derby. No point us debating his ego; as I said it’s purely my opinion.

2) We did have some very good young players when he took over you might recall, and a youngish team playing some very attractive football appreciated by fans and neutral observers alike.  The current first team is some distance from what he inherited. He also has weakened our financial position by taking the ground out of the Club’s ownership, and now has mortgaged up all the assets as far as I can tell to support increasing and significant ‘short term’ loans. He has contributed significantly to a fractured relationship with EFL, and overseen a period of our club when we have been a laughing stock at time with some of our off-field activities. 

29 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

1) I agree he was wealthy, in comparative terms to a great many, and clearly he is a very bright guy in his field of speciality. But he did not become super wealthy until he sold his stake in Candy Crush which wasn’t long before he took control of Derby. No point us debating his ego; as I said it’s purely my opinion.

2) We did have some very good young players when he took over you might recall, and a youngish team playing some very attractive football appreciated by fans and neutral observers alike.  The current first team is some distance from what he inherited. He also has weakened our financial position by taking the ground out of the Club’s ownership, and now has mortgaged up all the assets as far as I can tell to support increasing and significant ‘short term’ loans. He has contributed significantly to a fractured relationship with EFL, and overseen a period of our club when we have been a laughing stock at time with some of our off-field activities. 

I like many things about Mel Morris but we have regressed in nearly every way. The last time we were ‘great’ was 13/14. In Mel’s 6 years, we’ve become very disliked (by splashing cash), had a shameful episode with players, chopped and changed managers, EFL tribunal, not paying wages, have a worse first team squad and something I can’t forgive is we no longer own our own stadium. Shockingly bad financial management for no discernible improvement. 

1 hour ago, Arsene Titman said:

I’ve seen a quote somewhere, probably from BZG’s uk representatives, saying on finance re attempted Newcastle takeover “We’re not talking Man City here” . We’re not going to get “ the sky’s the limit” spending- have a read of this:

U.S. hedge fund holds talks with Dubai-based Bin Zayed Group over £300m Newcastle FC purchase

An American hedge fund backed by Japanese investment giant SoftBank has been holding talks with the Dubai-based Bin Zayed Group which is interested in buying Newcastle United Football Club for between £300 million and £350 million.

It is believed Fortress Investment Group is one of a number of parties talking to Bin Zayed about providing expensive debt financing for a takeover of the Premier League club, owned by retail tycoon Mike Ashley.

Great. A poor man's Glazer. Borrowing against the club to buy the club.

4 minutes ago, biellaram said:

I like many things about Mel Morris but we have regressed in nearly every way. The last time we were ‘great’ was 13/14. In Mel’s 6 years, we’ve become very disliked (by splashing cash), had a shameful episode with players, chopped and changed managers, EFL tribunal, not paying wages, have a worse first team squad and something I can’t forgive is we no longer own our own stadium. Shockingly bad financial management for no discernible improvement. 

Can’t argue with a lot of that unfortunately ?

Sounds like the Glazers Mk II with that sort of PE nonsense.

I also read that article.

I would like to ask 2 rhetorical questions. I am not sitting in judgement of anyone and I certainly would not want to get into an argument with anyone. If you have strong reservations about the Abu Dhabi takeover on issues of human rights but if it goes ahead and Derby end up in the top half of the Premiership would you then celebrate the success? And now the interesting part of the question would this then make you( choose which apply loyal, fickle, flexible, hypocritical, strong minded, weak minded or something else. Don't bother replying I can't be doing with sarcastic comments and hate emojis. 

44 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

1. I can assure you he was already super wealthy before candy crush.he certainly didnt only have a few mill then go to 500mil.what is it you class as super rich? I would say anyone with over 100mil is super rich and he had over that before he took Derby.

2.the money side of things I wont argue to much as this is not my area and have little to say your wrong.im sure if you met him he would tell you like any big rich business man he took a huge gamble(of which most of them do and if I remember correct we were all calling for at the time that investment was needed to get us over the line)yes it has not payed off however the depth in the academy we have now (which was 0 before him) will ensure a conveyor belt of top youth coming through for years to come(if managers allow)dont get me wrong the book has to stop with him but I can assure you we as fans know only 1% of what happens behind closed doors.in my opinion there are a hell of alot of people that have let him  down yet like all good leaders he takes it on the chin.

8 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I would like to ask 2 rhetorical questions. I am not sitting in judgement of anyone and I certainly would not want to get into an argument with anyone. If you have strong reservations about the Abu Dhabi takeover on issues of human rights but if it goes ahead and Derby end up in the top half of the Premiership would you then celebrate the success? And now the interesting part of the question would this then make you( choose which apply loyal, fickle, flexible, hypocritical, strong minded, weak minded or something else. Don't bother replying I can't be doing with sarcastic comments and hate emojis. 

Quite. I posted earlier about some posters who oppose such a takeover but who happily buy their petrol. The United Arab Emirates is one of the UK's most important trading partners and one of the fastest growing markets for UK exports. Last year exports to the UAE from the UK totalled more than £10.5 billion and we had a trade surplus of more than £4 billion . So what do you do if you are uncomfortable trading with a country whose culture and beliefs you don’t agree with. Have no further dealings with them and face a huge financial hit and put thousands of people out of work here. 

(and for those pedantic posters who might come back and say that I posed questions with no question marks, question marks aren’t required for rhetorical questions)

Archived